• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

West Ham match thread

I understand why some are posting in the manner they are.

It’s a really crushing start to the season, we’ve not even scored a goal.

Today we looked as though we’re well off the pace, typified by sloppy defending meaning we’re conceding goals and a mirrored lack of concentration and effort in the final third. We’ve relied on an OG for our solitary appearance on the scoreboard. That’s despite us looking like the team with the better ideas and with at least equal quality against our opponents.

I’ve never been too critical of OE but he was awful today. Beyond that, the only two players I’d feel inclined to praise in our team are Wharton and Munoz. I’m not sure what purpose Kamada serves aside from taking up a space on the field a better player could have.

We look without leadership and purpose as it stands. There’s probably no need to wet the bed yet but with the next few fixtures coming up, it’s looking very De Boerish.

Let’s be honest, OG is going to have to start again from next week and into the international break. He will have the same sort of time frame as when he first got here and will need to work with whatever the settled squad ends up being.

I cannot imagine OE getting a start normally and hopefully after the break Hughes is back and Doucoure and Sarr are in the frame to start. I’m sure there will be at least 1 new face coming in and probably more.

Who knows perhaps we will all get the shock of our lives and Toney will be our new star man (f*** me we need one).

Taking off Lerma and replacing him with Kamada was a big mistake and cost us the match, should have replaced him with Doucoure and took off Eduoard and brought on Sarr. Manager needs to be more careful with subs IMO

When you play effectively 5 at the back the options to change it up mid game are limited because you are not going to change Mitchell, Munoz, Wharton, Eze or Mateta because we have no one who can replace them who is even close to being better.

This means you can only really change the other central midfielder and the right side attacking midfielder. This automatically tells you we are short in numerous areas.

The only other alternative is to move to a back 4, is this something we will see Glasner do?

Glasner needs to stand up to the board and tell them how it is, Palace is my team and will always be…. Outta all of the palace we got how many actually love palace? Edouard is soooooo awful and we need him gone…

Today has made me drink early 😂😂😂😂

Please give this a watch lads, it’s a new thing on YouTube I’m doing post match on our games. P.s The thumbnail is a killer ffs

Taking off Lerma and replacing him with Kamada was a big mistake and cost us the match, should have replaced him with Doucoure and took off Eduoard and brought on Sarr. Manager needs to be more careful with subs IMO
That was my view too. Lerma is quick and physical. It felt more like Kamada was shoehorned into the team because OG knew he would bring Sarr on for Eduoard and possibly because he wanted to push for the win. If Doucoure can get back to fitness he'll be the man to shield the defence. I don't want to see Kamada in that role again.

We need to replace Olise, if he had have been playing today, 2 or 3 up at Half Time, Need to get the CD Oli wants, sell Guehi, and spend on a top atacking player to balance Eze, Sterling is the answer for me, but now i think he will say No.
How do you replace a mercurial talent like Olise? We didn't sell him, we had no choice.

Posters keep saying we miss Olise, any team would miss Olise. Its going to take time for Glasner to work things out. He had a good run at the end of last season, but if you analyse the teams we beat, none of them were in good form or had nothing to play for..

That was my view too. Lerma is quick and physical. It felt more like Kamada was shoehorned into the team because OG knew he would bring Sarr on for Eduoard and possibly because he wanted to push for the win. If Doucoure can get back to fitness he'll be the man to shield the defence. I don't want to see Kamada in that role again.
Agreed need Doucoure back

I've seen Kamada twice now and I have no idea why we have bought him, Taking Lerma off, was a huge mistake, we were in control of the midfield ! I get that OE doesn't want to play on the wing so why play him there when we've bought Sarr who actually look quite effective once he came on !

I get that the club want to sell Ayew and Andersen but not before you have definite replacements in place,and if you've decided to sell em you had the whole close season to replace them

How do you replace a mercurial talent like Olise? We didn't sell him, we had no choice.

Posters keep saying we miss Olise, any team would miss Olise. Its going to take time for Glasner to work things out. He had a good run at the end of last season, but if you analyse the teams we beat, none of them were in good form or had nothing to play for..

Correct.

Last season should have given us optimism or at least mitigated any real despair but it was what it was and not evidence for some delusional future.

I think there’s a difference between moaning about a couple of games and trying to forecast our entire season off the back of them.

Our transfer window started well but we’ve not really done anything since. At the start of todays game, our selling both Andersen and Ayew, who featured massively for us, was still two separate stories on the front of BBC Football.

It’s extremely frustrating to lose the first two games in the manner we have, looking unprepared for the season and muddled as a team. There’s a range of factors for the defeats which only add to this.

I’m still predicting us to get going between games 10-15 (which in itself is ‘moan-worthy’) but I sincerely hope we sign an attacker, a CB and a LB before the window closes.

If we struggle to get players (plural) in and any more leave, we’ll only be a couple injuries away from being bang in it. We could also really struggle to pick up any points in the meantime.

I really was mildly optimistic not too long ago. C’est la Palace.

Well, that was disappointing. Agree with a comment from my mate. We were wasteful and they were clinical. As for Edouard, can’t understand why he started nor could I understand Lerma being replaced by Kamada? Back 3 was under pressure on breaks which didn’t help that it was a new 3? Eza was also poor in my opinion today and Mateta had no service. Let’s hope we have some incomings next week and this team gels as it didn’t look together today :-(

My main take outs,

1) we were the better side in the first half and deserved to be in front

2) the heads dropped after we went 1 down and this was disappointing

3) Hughes link up play with Wharton was missed. Lerna doesn't have this understanding with Wharton and is not a quick, sharp passer of the ball

4) Edouard is not the answer in the Olise role and probably not the answer full stop.
He seems way of the pace and his off day sadly isn't a one-off.

5) I wouldn't be in any hurry to.sell Guehi.
He was comfortably our best centre half today and I wouldn't want to play a full season with Premier League newbies.
The foundation of any team.has to be a solid defence

6) Mateta was asked to run the channels on occasions today which doesn't suit him. He needs to be in and around the box

7) Wharton was brilliant up until the first goal

I can only imagine that Édouard was in the shop window in the vain hope that some mugs would buy him this week.

Well, that certainly didn't work!

My view - as a club we were asking for this.

We missed Andersens leadership and organisational skills at the back, and of course his passing.

Richards doesn't look comfortable in his position and has regressed back to the player he was when first introduced.

Riad reminds me of Richards from that time.

I don't know what to make of Kamada. He's barely imposing himself on the play.

Mateta isn't getting the service he needs.

At the moment it's looking like a self inflicted mess.

Even more galling is the fact that West Ham were bang average until they went a goal up.

Feel for Eze, he was doubled up on and sometimes triple man marked and appears now to be single-handedly doing a similar role to Zaha. Need someone who can run with ball at defenders with pace and skill on the other side to take the focus away. For the first 17 mins, we were awful and not in the game. Shame that Eze's shot hit the bar, it could have been a different game.
Wharton was class though.

Back