• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

West Ham match thread

We’ve lost 3 influential characters.

Eze & Olise had an incredible understanding - and when on the pitch together, the confidence in the team flowed.

Anderson was a leader. He ran the back line and was the vocal influencer in the team. Cannot stress how important a figure he was in defence.

Ayew, for all his weaknesses was the workhorse. Hugely respected by his teammates and on quite a few occasions drew fouls out of opponents when the team desperately needed a rest.

So, expecting the new players to just fit in straight away and replicate the above is unrealistic. There is certainly some confidence on the pitch, but respect takes times. I’m confident as the season progresses, new players adapt and the characters in the team stamp their authority, results will improve.

Whilst I felt this week's performance was better than last week's it has demonstrated how important it is to have a full pre-season where the whole squad is together. Our fast, free-flowing attacks were more incisive whereas the team last week looked like a squad that had only just met each other. I was thinking the players who were away, seven first team and a first back-up would have been fit but they haven't had long to gel and get back into the Palace style of play. It will, (hopefully), come together sooner rather than later. Knowing us, we'll probably get a result against Chelsea next week!

My tuppence worth on Riad -
Probably didnt even know he was in line to start todays game until Andersen emptied his locker Friday night -
Made one very poor clearance pass str8 to WH player on about 10 minutes, they didn't take full advantage of it so we got away with it after a fashion, that hit his confidence hard for about another 10 minutes & anyone could see he was struggling, to their credit the team rallied around him & kept including him in the game, he then stroked a beautiful 30 yard ball forward which curled into Eze,s path & his confidence started to return, he never gave up, didnt try to hide & even though WH targeted him I thought overall despite that difficult start he put in a good shift - for my money, he will start on Tuesday, he will play well & he will come good.

Like Brentford, West Ham didn’t cause us too many defensive problems other than in transition phases.
Henderson hasn’t been too busy in either game.

Three of the goals that we have conceded in the two games have been through breakaways down our left hand side.

I wondered if this could be because our 343 system can leave us vulnerable to counter attacks when on occasions our full backs are high up the pitch and our 2 man central midfield bypassed.
In his post match interview Glasner sees it differently, believing that we still have enough defenders back and that the goals are more due to losing individual duels and poor defending rather than a system issue.

The two performances have been patchy to date and the games could have gone either way.
I was disappointed to see the heads go down after West Ham scored as if there was a lack of self belief that we could get back in the game even though there was plenty of time left.
I’m not sure we have players who deal well with adversity and have the character, grit and determination to claw our way back into games.
Perhaps that’s a bit harsh , but all teams have to have grit and leaders on the field.

The lack of a finisher was there to see yesterday and we seem to be labouring in that second half especially Riad who looked like he pulled up at one point.

I would start with Sarr on the right and he looked more than a handful yesterday, it was a poor performance but that glaring miss by Edouard cost us big time!

You'll have the Essex choirboys to contend with, as they dust-off their burberry flatcaps, and stride like John Wayne into Selhurst, with their extensive repertoire of songs, "I'm Forever blowing bubbles", and "United", that should calm the nerves, even making a tad sleepy. Palace scoring early might quieten them down a bit.

Firstly I think, yet again, we have fucked about getting signings over the line. Not sure whose fault that is.
Secondly I have just seen that Glasner has a poor record at beginning of seasons, usually takes him 4-7 games to get a win. At Wolfsburg they ended up finishing 4th and Frankfurt they won the Europa league. No need to panic yet

My tuppence worth on Riad -
Probably didnt even know he was in line to start todays game until Andersen emptied his locker Friday night -
Made one very poor clearance pass str8 to WH player on about 10 minutes, they didn't take full advantage of it so we got away with it after a fashion, that hit his confidence hard for about another 10 minutes & anyone could see he was struggling, to their credit the team rallied around him & kept including him in the game, he then stroked a beautiful 30 yard ball forward which curled into Eze,s path & his confidence started to return, he never gave up, didnt try to hide & even though WH targeted him I thought overall despite that difficult start he put in a good shift - for my money, he will start on Tuesday, he will play well & he will come good.
I agree, thought he showed enough confidence to want the ball. He will become a very good player for us

Riad wasn't great but looked ok in the air. He may come good. Sarr looked lively and unpredictable in a good way, so needs to start. Kamada - next.
My main overall concerns were that West Ham looked bigger and stronger and we still look rubbish at defending corners. There were two in the first half where a West Ham player got there first but missed on each occasion, but that problem persists.

The biggest disappointment for me was the performance of Glasner, poor starting 11, poor subs, didn't expect that, we missed Andersen's organisation and Captaincy (although he didn't have the arm band) Richards is by far our best defender and should play the central position, would it really have made any difference if Ward-Richards-Riad have been the back 3, i don't, but playing Edouard in that position was ridiculous, you need a left footed player, Schlupp would have been a better option, and that is saying something, Guehi needs to be sold, take the money, get lacroix and spend big on someone to balance up Eze, a proper replacement for Olise

The biggest disappointment for me was the performance of Glasner, poor starting 11, poor subs, didn't expect that, we missed Andersen's organisation and Captaincy (although he didn't have the arm band) Richards is by far our best defender and should play the central position, would it really have made any difference if Ward-Richards-Riad have been the back 3, i don't, but playing Edouard in that position was ridiculous, you need a left footed player, Schlupp would have been a better option, and that is saying something, Guehi needs to be sold, take the money, get lacroix and spend big on someone to balance up Eze, a proper replacement for Olise
Your bet for Meteta being top scorer in the Premier League isn't looking like one of your better predictions me ol China.

Your bet for Meteta being top scorer in the Premier League isn't looking like one of your better predictions me ol China.
It better be, i have 2 euros each way at 51 to 1, hes just warming up, Hattrick against Chelsea 😆 😆 😆

I agree that OG's subs were poor again and that we missed Andersen's leadership. However, Richards' best time with us has been on the left of a back three (perhaps odd given he's right-footed) and once again he struggled yesterday being beaten easily on the ground and in the air. Statistically, he isn't close to Guehi this season with lower stats for being dribbled past, interceptions, passing and even for aerial duels. Guehi wasn't great against Brentford but he was comfortably the best of the three yesterday and even seemed to dominate in the air, which is unusual for him. He looked far more comfortable in the middle than on the left of a back three.

We do need another quality central defender but in addition to Guehi. Maybe for Chelsea we play Richards on the left, Guehi in the middle and Clyne on the right. At least Clyne knows how to defend in the wide areas (which you need to do in a back three) and looked good filling in there last season. Then we need to sign an experienced defender who is comfortable playing in the position we sign him for.

I thought even Munoz and Mitchell are looking out of sorts, they turned into real weapons end of last season. I do feel for Munoz though, after finishing the Copa America I think he must’ve had only a couple of weeks off and then straight back into the rigours and pace of the premier league, with the high energy he puts into a game, it would be understandable if he was a bit jaded still

I thought even Munoz and Mitchell are looking out of sorts, they turned into real weapons end of last season. I do feel for Munoz though, after finishing the Copa America I think he must’ve had only a couple of weeks off and then straight back into the rigours and pace of the premier league, with the high energy he puts into a game, it would be understandable if he was a bit jaded still
And in another week he will be off playing for Colombia again. Ridiculous having an International break so soon

I question Glasner's team selections. I don't think we have the right personnel to play five at the back. Riad was poor today, Richards never inspires me and Mitchell is not a wing-back. We know Guehi and Munoz are excellent and a left-sided version of him would help our shape and maximise the attacking benefit of having wing backs. Mitchell does not know where he should be and was out of position for two goals so far this season.

Starting JP and Edouard means we have no striker to bring on as a sub to try to change things.

Doucoure is too good to leave on the bench and Johnstone IS a a better keeper than Henderson.
Not sure Doucoure is ready. He was injured for a long time with a serious issue.

Back