• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

West Ham match thread

I've seen Kamada twice now and I have no idea why we have bought him, Taking Lerma off, was a huge mistake, we were in control of the midfield ! I get that OE doesn't want to play on the wing so why play him there when we've bought Sarr who actually look quite effective once he came on !

I get that the club want to sell Ayew and Andersen but not before you have definite replacements in place,and if you've decided to sell em you had the whole close season to replace them
He scored a great goal in the States, give him a chance to adapt to the premier league.

There’s no need to worry. There will still be 3 teams worse than us.
I’m sure Everton fans are not delirious tonight either.
We could always bring back Wilfred?
I genuinely thought we were done with saying “there will be 3 teams worse than us.

We won’t be anywhere near relegation come may.

This has been kick in the teeth for all the summer optimism. Probably for the best. Nothing will start getting sorted until the window closes and then a structure will start to form I’m sure.

Alarming how poor we were second half. Goals change games, we missed our chances first half and West Ham who weren’t threatening too much at the time punished us second half, but what was worse was how disjointed we looked after that, it was all a bit huff and puff and aimless.
It has to be said as well, the jury is most definitely still out on the three new signings, especially Riad, struggled today and didn’t look the part at all, far too casual for my liking.

The game felt like a copy of the Brentford game. Eze and co not taking their chances and the other team taking theres.

Positives
-We were by far the better team, we controlled the game well.
-Wharton is a star, his range of passing with both feet is something to behold and he will no doubt be playing for England soon.
-We are creating chances, it’s just not clicked yet

Negatives
Eduoard, so poor
Glasners subs have been strange to say the least

Hopefully we can get 1 or 2 in and things will start to click.

I genuinely thought we were done with saying “there will be 3 teams worse than us.

We won’t be anywhere near relegation come may.

This has been kick in the teeth for all the summer optimism . Probably for the best. Nothing will start getting sorted until the window closes and then a structure will start to form I’m sure.
I’ve been saying it all summer anyone who thought we’d start this season how we finished last is on cloud cuckoo land. The stars aligned for us as we were revitalised just as teams were flagging after long European seasons with cup runs as well.
But having said that, I wasn’t expecting to lose our first two games and I certainly wasn’t expecting how poor we looked second half today, especially against West Ham!! Get beat by the spammers at home and you know you’ve had a bad day 🫣🤣

I’ve been saying it all summer anyone who thought we’d start this season how we finished last is on cloud cuckoo land. The stars aligned for us as we were revitalised just as teams were flagging after long European seasons with cup runs as well.
But having said that, I wasn’t expecting to lose our first two games and I certainly wasn’t expecting how poor we looked second half today, especially against West Ham!! Get beat by the spammers at home and you know you’ve had a bad day 🫣🤣
We are cruelly exposed now for having a squad with no depth, mediocre quality and few options. WHU have spent over $130M this summer and their bench showed that. We are skating on very thin ice. If Guehi leaves, it will be a real struggle. As usual with Palace, its down to the wire in the transfer window. So far we seem to have shown little ambition by picking up an unproven young CB (nothing like the Guehi transfer) to replace a quality leader in Anderson, a bargain basement midfielder who is quite unimpressive and Saar who did very little last year, although he has to be better than Edouard, who is eating up payroll. I bet we end up spending the least of everyone. Hopefully I am dreadfully wrong!

Alarming how poor we were second half. Goals change games, we missed our chances first half and West Ham who weren’t threatening too much at the time punished us second half, but what was worse was how disjointed we looked after that, it was all a bit huff and puff and aimless.
It has to be said as well, the jury is most definitely still out on the three new signings, especially Riad, struggled today and didn’t look the part at all, far too casual for my liking.
1st game in the Premier give him a chance

An off day for many of our players. We were at least a match for a good West Ham team for 65 minutes
A number of new players need time to settle. And we have lost olise and Andersen.
We missed chances again. West Ham didn’t. Wharton improves every game. Eze showed his class but is a lazy f’er and doesn’t make space/go looking fo ball
Richard’s Lerma and riad all uncomfortable on the ball. But very combatative.
Henderson distribution awful
Edouard doesn’t look to be good enough for what we need
Kamada light weight . Hope he’s better going forward
Strange that docoure and Saar didn’t start
But it’s early days
Batter Norwich on Tuesday to get some confidence then catch Chelsea on counters….and then mash Leicester. It will all look better
In Ollie I trust
COYP

Just my opinion.Unlike the relegation scrap we are now in Chelsea next week ,more misery.
We're 2 games in. You can't seriously really call this a relegation scrap. We have issues without a doubt but we're not doomed yet.

I've been watching a lot of the on-line reviews of the game and a lot (me included I confess as a professional pessimist) are saying the season is over. It's not. There were a lot of good things to take away from this game. We put a lot of passes through the box with no one there to take advantage of them, we controlled a lot of the play, our passing could be better but wasn't horrid. After I climbed back in from the ledge and on reflection I see there is a lot of potential and it may just be a matter of putting things together, linking up better, getting everyone used to working together.

This is the problem with losing critical pieces of your team and bringing new ones in during a transfer window that coincides with the actual scheduled play. I still trust Dougie and Ollie to get it right. I'm not putting any sort of target for Europe or top 10 finish any more.

What I do want is attractive play, something I can watch and feel good about, a team that never quits and wherever we end up I will be ok with. I see the potential in this game and I hope things will turn around. I'm confident we will get there.

Last edited:
I'm clinging on to the common early season mantra - one win and two losses is worth more points than two draws and one loss. Doesn't do anything for confidence, transfer possibilities, goal difference or anything else but it's all we've got.
Let's see what the squad looks like next week. Then let despondency and misery reign; it'll make the bounce back all the more enjoyable.

I question Glasner's team selections. I don't think we have the right personnel to play five at the back. Riad was poor today, Richards never inspires me and Mitchell is not a wing-back. We know Guehi and Munoz are excellent and a left-sided version of him would help our shape and maximise the attacking benefit of having wing backs. Mitchell does not know where he should be and was out of position for two goals so far this season.

Starting JP and Edouard means we have no striker to bring on as a sub to try to change things.

Doucoure is too good to leave on the bench and Johnstone IS a a better keeper than Henderson.

I question Glasner's team selections. I don't think we have the right personnel to play five at the back. Riad was poor today, Richards never inspires me and Mitchell is not a wing-back. We know Guehi and Munoz are excellent and a left-sided version of him would help our shape and maximise the attacking benefit of having wing backs. Mitchell does not know where he should be and was out of position for two goals so far this season.

Starting JP and Edouard means we have no striker to bring on as a sub to try to change things.

Doucoure is too good to leave on the bench and Johnstone IS a a better keeper than Henderson.

Poor....that's an understatement. Was targeted by the Irons as the weak link and bullied of the ball. Poor lad looked terrified to be fair.....hope he improves!

Last edited:
We need to replace Olise, if he had have been playing today, 2 or 3 up at Half Time, Need to get the CD Oli wants, sell Guehi, and spend on a top atacking player to balance Eze, Sterling is the answer for me, but now i think he will say No.
Sterling NO.
Most times he couldn’t hit a barn door from 5 yards with a handful of gravel.
He’s like a spoilt attention seeking baby. All for £300k pw. NO NO NO.

So agree with this and will just expand from my own thoughts:

Mitchell - It’s romantic to think he came from the youth setup and has an England cap but all he’s achieved as far as I’m concerned is defending decently in a back four and not making a complete cock up of it. As a wing back, he has no notable pace, skill or other attribute to make a case for him. He should be the backup and we need better.
Henderson - I still have my reservations and am convinced there’s an idea of him in the head of many that does not reflect the reality.
Riad - Very early days but he struggled physically.
Richards - Yeah always looks a bit unsure but I’m not overly critical
Edouard - Doesn’t look as though he’s even making any effort to pretend to be PL quality. He’s probably right to do so as it would only further his exposure.
Doucoure - I can only assume he’s not fit enough but then why would he be on the bench?
Kamada - Not seen anything yet

I think we need a LWB, a centre back and a couple of attacking players. The likelihood we’ll get one of them let alone all…. well we’ll see I suppose. Many saying ‘busy week’ but again, will it be?

I’m inclined to always believe the manager has his reasons, especially Glasner, but I was a bit thrown by his decisions today.

Poor....that's an understatement. Was targeted by the Irons as the weak link and bullied of the ball. Poor lad looked terrified to be fair.....hope he improves!

All week, privately, I have been articulating that W.Ham would emerge victorious, so today's result is no gargantuan surprise.

Apropos Riad and Kamada, the season is in it's infancy but supporters are already NOT impressed one iota and have worried frowns on their brows concluding that we have sold prized assets and the acquisitions are not of the required standard.There is concern and disquiet all around with pessimism very much in evidence.

I am willing to let time pass before I form a judgement.

Back