• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Hopes fading or Masterplan?

Until the transfer window closes it’s hard to make a call. One thing for sure is the opposition won’t have a clue who they will be facing in the upcoming fixtures!

We currently have 20 outfield players left in the men's squad. Franca is long-term injured leaving 19. With teams able to use five subs these days you need a minimum squad of 16 outfield players (more if you want choice). We still need cover for Mitchell, and with Andersen and Ayew going we now need a new central defender and a new forward. The important thing is that replacements for the latter two are first-team-ready.

We may be lucky, but remember there have been times in the recent past when we have had 8 or 9 players out at one time. With many of our squad playing tournament football over the summer, the chances of injury or fatigue are probably elevated, so personally I think it would be a big risk if we didn't sign at least two more players (as OG suggested).

On the positive side, Glasner made it clear he only wants players at the club who want to be there which suggests Guehi has committed to the cause, especially given he has been given the club armband. My guess is he'll sign a new deal within the next few weeks on better terms and possibly with a release clause for a CL club.

The fact that Glasner is now saying that we only need to replace half the players that have left rings the alarm bells.
It does? Why?

I think Glasner knows what he wants and needs for success. I doubt he’d say anything about the squad he didn’t want to say. Maybe he thinks we have sufficient or it’s mind games. I mean if you’re in the market for players it’s best not to let the world know you’re keen.

The fact that Glasner is now saying that we only need to replace half the players that have left rings the alarm bells.
Not really, he might be including those who were not going to feature who’ve gone to lower league or Bonnie Scotland like Whitworth to Exeter, Boateng to hearts and Phillips to st mirren etc

Last edited:
Do you remember when Leicester had a terrible, relegation threatened start to a season, then had an amazing strong last 1/3rd of the season and finished on a high. Then the following season they sold Vardy, Kante, Mahrez and Drinkwater so their bank account was healthy and they finished a respectable 14th and everyone was happy?

No wait, sorry, they kept them all for one more year and believed and won the Premier League. Nevermind.

I would have thought any "masterplan" would have included having the best squad possible available for the games at the beginning of the season. If not, it's not advisable to ignore the first few games and have to come back later. I'm not going to be happy if we lose to West Ham meekly due to Andersen being gone and no replacements on the wings.

It does? Why?

I think Glasner knows what he wants and needs for success. I doubt he’d say anything about the squad he didn’t want to say. Maybe he thinks we have sufficient or it’s mind games. I mean if you’re in the market for players it’s best not to let the world know you’re keen.
Glasner said a few weeks ago that we needed 2 players….an attacking midfielder and wing back. Now we have also lost a cb and ayew and we still need 2 players we are told. That does not make any sense.

I think most of the football world know we are looking for players and how much money we have. Trying to pretend otherwise would be futile.

I dont get what you are on about. Out of 26/27 players that have gone through pre season with Palace Rak-Saki on loan (fringe player), Ayew (fringe player), Andersen have gone. So what?
Olise was already gone and was obviously going to be going.
If Guehi goes we'll have a replacement in before that happens. This is hardly a mass exudus.

Think some need to calm down a bit and lets wait and see how the new players (maybe not all signed yet) bed in. For all we know these could ALL be players OG feels are more suited to the way he wants to play and we might do really well.
correct

Early days but now in the bottom three.
Hopefully,some decent signings will be announced before the window closes.
Holding on to Guehi,so very important as if we sell him,we will at least have the funds to complete the planned renovations of our dilapidated stadium and be the potentially riches club in the Championship.

I guess we are moving to the next level. Just downwards
We now seem to have lost our best player; most vocal leader in defence; and a reliable bench player who actually had one of his most creative years last season. Going from today's game they have been replaced by two bench players and someone who was also planned to be a squad player
Somewhere, Roy is stirring

I guess we are moving to the next level. Just downwards
We now seem to have lost our best player; most vocal leader in defence; and a reliable bench player who actually had one of his most creative years last season. Going from today's game they have been replaced by two bench players and someone who was also planned to be a squad player
Somewhere, Roy is stirring
Hi New on here. But a 'glaziers' (yes) fan since 1968. Three PL matches ago I watched the best ever win by a Palace team - ok, Villa were tired, but still. That still gives me optimism for this season. You'll call me naieve, without doubt

Realistically Olise was always going to leave and would always be a major problem to replace, although Jack Clarke for the £18 m (15 + 3 in add-ons) Ipswich have paid might have been an option. Andersen going was a bit of a surprise but he should be more easily replaceable with someone better in the air, and let's be honest less prone to the odd error.
It could be that the disjointed pre-season is having an effect and, whisper it, there might have been an element of over confidence after the run at end of last year.
Dougie and co will know more than we do what is needed and are doubtless working hard on those transfers. They probably are ...they hopefully are...they might be anyway.

Back