• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Hopes fading or Masterplan?

Everything was in place, we had the squad, the morale, the ability to press on into the top half of the PL.

And the pre-season preparation.

Now, two weeks into the season, 2 defeats and we don't even know if the captain will be here.

And now they have to do even more business to repair the damage with people going out of the door after the season has started, the timing dreadful.

Below half-way again, that's if it doesn't get worse.

It's worse than brexit.

😎

Everything was in place, we had the squad, the morale, the ability to press on into the top half of the PL.

And the pre-season preparation.

Now, two weeks into the season, 2 defeats and we don't even know if the captain will be here.

And now they have to do even more business to repair the damage with people going out of the door after the season has started, the timing dreadful.

Below half-way again, that's if it doesn't get worse.

It's worse than brexit.

😎

There was always the expectation that Olise would depart and perhaps another prized asset and that the squad would have to be embellished with suitable replacements.

The narrative was about 'Europe' a 'Top 8 finish', 'Breaking through that glass ceiling' etc etc, positivity was much in evidence, however with the sale of Andersen and the possible departure of Guehi, and of course Eze, the 'Mood music' has changed dramatically.I believe supporters are of the opinion that the club will entertain offers for any of our key performers and that has left them with a sense of disquiet and foreboding.
The departure of our sought after players and replacements whom many have not even heard of have left brows corrugated with concern.

Anderson's star had begun to fade so I wasn't too sorry to learn we sold him. Good price too. The issue was the timing, and I can't help thinking there were some internal problems that forced the sale.

The Guehi negotiation appears to have gone off the boil, hopefully, but Eze is still the subject of interest from Liverpool and City which is a worry.

Our first two results have been disappointing to say the least, but we weren't outplayed in either. We still have some fine players, including Wharton who's not going anywhere right now. Édouard is our weakest link and I rather hope we don't see him again.

Ollie clearly has a challenge to pull together a team to beat Norwich tomorrow, a game we must win. I am optimistic he will work his magic to start a string of decent results after the window closes, but I am not expecting us to have the same kind of run we had at the end of last season. It's unrealistic to expect us to be challenging for a place in Europe although top half of the table should be achievable.

The major concern is, if Ollie is not satisfied with the way our club handles all matters relating to the playing side of things, he throws in the towel. I'm just hoping he's nowhere near that stage yet.

Anderson's star had begun to fade so I wasn't too sorry to learn we sold him. Good price too. The issue was the timing, and I can't help thinking there were some internal problems that forced the sale.

The Guehi negotiation appears to have gone off the boil, hopefully, but Eze is still the subject of interest from Liverpool and City which is a worry.

Our first two results have been disappointing to say the least, but we weren't outplayed in either. We still have some fine players, including Wharton who's not going anywhere right now. Édouard is our weakest link and I rather hope we don't see him again.

Ollie clearly has a challenge to pull together a team to beat Norwich tomorrow, a game we must win. I am optimistic he will work his magic to start a string of decent results after the window closes, but I am not expecting us to have the same kind of run we had at the end of last season. It's unrealistic to expect us to be challenging for a place in Europe although top half of the table should be achievable.

The major concern is, if Ollie is not satisfied with the way our club handles all matters relating to the playing side of things, he throws in the towel. I'm just hoping he's nowhere near that stage yet.
Hopefully,before the Chelsea game,we will have strengthened the squad to OGs,liking. Otherwise, selling the family silver including Geuhi, without adequate replacement, could well see us looking for a new Manager.

Guehi and Eze still here next week. Lacroix, Nketiah and Sterling signed. Johnstone swapped for Ait-Nouri. Edouard sold back to Celtic. Sorted!
We’ve got 3 players in all window, if you think we can get the same amount in in 4 days then you are far more optimistic than me.
I’d be surprised if there was more than 1. Lacroix seems like the only rumour with any substance.
Past history suggests there won’t be many incomings.
I more expect another big name out and Glasner leaving in the next month or so, whilst Parish does he’s ’worked hard but difficult to secure deals at the end of the window’.

Thank you for taking the time to type all that so I did not have to! EXACTLY my thoughts.

We’ve got 3 players in all window, if you think we can get the same amount in in 4 days then you are far more optimistic than me.
I’d be surprised if there was more than 1. Lacroix seems like the only rumour with any substance.
I more expect another big name out and Glasner leaving in the next month or so, whilst Parish does he’s ’worked hard but difficult to secure deals at the end of the window’.
Yep , we will huff and puff until the Xmas window then panic buy a few injuries and we will see Wardy playing wing back and Holding playing left wing back or midfield. Glasner will pull of a miricle and somehow keep us up and Steve will say it was a master stroke by him . Same ol shite with Palace , i dont know why we bother getting our hopes up . I can see Glasner doing a bad shepherd and getting the flock outta here and heading to Everton with his mate Texter .

Last edited:
Yep , we will huff and puff until the Xmas window then panic buy a few injuries and we will see Wardy playing wing back and Holding playing left wing back or midfield. Glasner will pull of a miricle and somehow keep us up and Steve will say it was a master stroke by him . Same ol shite with Palace , i dont know why we bother getting our hopes up . I can see Glasner doing a bad shepherd and getting the flock outta here and heading to Everton with his mate Texter .
......and the new stand?

We currently have 20 outfield players left in the men's squad. Franca is long-term injured leaving 19. With teams able to use five subs these days you need a minimum squad of 16 outfield players (more if you want choice). We still need cover for Mitchell, and with Andersen and Ayew going we now need a new central defender and a new forward. The important thing is that replacements for the latter two are first-team-ready.

We may be lucky, but remember there have been times in the recent past when we have had 8 or 9 players out at one time. With many of our squad playing tournament football over the summer, the chances of injury or fatigue are probably elevated, so personally I think it would be a big risk if we didn't sign at least two more players (as OG suggested).

On the positive side, Glasner made it clear he only wants players at the club who want to be there which suggests Guehi has committed to the cause, especially given he has been given the club armband. My guess is he'll sign a new deal within the next few weeks on better terms and possibly with a release clause for a CL club.
A broken rib is not a long term injury. Having boxed as a younger man I fractured a rib and was back in light training two weeks later. Back in full training within a month. Boxing is a bit tougher than football. I'd expect to see him back maximum in about 3 weeks.

Its not as if they've done no work on these deals already though is it? For example, I've been told by three seperate sources in the last hour that we have an agreement with Arsenal for N'katiah. We now just need to agree terms with the player and get him through a medical. None of the work done on this deal up to now was started 5 minutes ago. As with whatever other possible deals that are in the pipe line. Lacroix being another one.

Guehi and Eze still here next week. Lacroix, Nketiah and Sterling signed. Johnstone swapped for Ait-Nouri. Edouard sold back to Celtic. Sorted!
I'd love for us to sign N'katiah AND Sterling but I doubt it. Maybe if Celtic buy back Edouard but I doubt it. Can see Johnstone leaving for around £10m probably to Forest.

Agree though that I dont believe Guehi will leave in this window now.

The BBC is running a story that Glasner is unhappy with the outgoings.
Much of the story seems to be conjecture but it states Glasner thought that Olise would be staying and that Anderson is a very important player for the team.
Glasner goes on to suggest that all transfers sit in the sporting director's department.
This doesn't ring entirely true as I'm sure Glasner was instrumental in the purchase of Kamada.
Nonetheless, if we don't strengthen properly this week and don't match Glasner's clear ambition, and then lose again on Sunday, it does not bode well .

I can't believe that management would ignore the manager's wishes about personnel and do whatever it felt like. If that were the case and I were the manager I'd be out of there so fast heads would spin so if this is true I am worried about Ollie's continued tenure here.

I know previously the team was more parsimonious and wouldn't support the manager with anything more than a few cheap signings and some loan-ins but I hoped that the Glasner signing was an indication that we were willing to be more ambitious and actually try to compete. Or maybe I'm just naive.

I'd love for us to sign N'katiah AND Sterling but I doubt it. Maybe if Celtic buy back Edouard but I doubt it. Can see Johnstone leaving for around £10m probably to Forest.

Agree though that I dont believe Guehi will leave in this window now.
Looks like Nketiah deal may be done and Celtic reported to be waiting for Edouard to be made available. It could happen

The TV money has been spent on running the club. It is not extra bunce. It’s gone !
We can’t be spending all the premier league money on just keeping afloat..I knew a lot of it got used but surely there’s an agreed transfer budget based on we can afford - are you aulleding to our management team being incompetent ? 😂😉

We can’t be spending all the premier league money on just keeping afloat..I knew a lot of it got used but surely there’s an agreed transfer budget based on we can afford - are you aulleding to our management team being incompetent ? 😂😉
We hear the same excuse every year, our wage bill is usually reported to be between 65-70 million and wages are usually between 75-85% of the clubs complete running costs, so I don't understand how the money has already gone, running the club. Most transfer windows we're near bottom for spending, every year clubs similar in size show more ambition. Does it always pay off, clearly not as numerous teams have been relegated while we've remained in the league. Atleast they give it a go. Like I said, Leicester have been relegated and promoted twice in that time and look at the success they've had.

Back