• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Hopes fading or Masterplan?

We can’t be spending all the premier league money on just keeping afloat..I knew a lot of it got used but surely there’s an agreed transfer budget based on we can afford - are you aulleding to our management team being incompetent ? 😂😉
Parish is out of his depth - just absolutely clueless..!!

As I said before we took the £150M loan against future sales - so obviously we were going to sell - which we have done - but here we sit in the last few days of the window - 6 points thrown away due to inept transfer dealings and strategy..!!

Yes we may now get an Nketiah, Lacroix and Cherki - but why has it taken so long..!!

Meantime we’re now playing catch up - following losses in two very winnable games..!!

So if all this comes to pass - don’t be telling us Steve look at what I’ve done - it’s bloody too late again - when will he ever learn..!!

As I’ve said many times over Parish is like a bloke driving a leased Bentley he can’t afford but loves the kudos too much to admit it..!!

Until this is resolved and Parish exits stage left we will continue on this path of reactive rather than proactive management of the club..!!

Meantime COYP

We hear the same excuse every year, our wage bill is usually reported to be between 65-70 million and wages are usually between 75-85% of the clubs complete running costs, so I don't understand how the money has already gone, running the club. Most transfer windows we're near bottom for spending, every year clubs similar in size show more ambition. Does it always pay off, clearly not as numerous teams have been relegated while we've remained in the league. Atleast they give it a go. Like I said, Leicester have been relegated and promoted twice in that time and look at the success they've had.
I'm struggling to understand the thrust of your post.

Are you saying that in place of the low risk appetite approach that has kept us in the Premier League for so long, you would prefer Palace to spend more money and have a greater financial risk exposure should we get relegated ?

And Leicester ?? The club that is currently facing two possible lots of points deductions....

Of course we all want more success, better players and everything else but maybe we should appreciate what we have . There are hundreds of clubs who would love to be where we are and we've done it pretty much on our own terms.
Sorry. Lost my mind.
Not our problem

I'm struggling to understand the thrust of your post.

Are you saying that in place of the low risk appetite approach that has kept us in the Premier League for so long, you would prefer Palace to spend more money and have a greater financial risk exposure should we get relegated ?

And Leicester ?? The club that is currently facing two possible lots of points deductions....

Everyone on here is petrified of being relegated, most of us have watched palace in the 2nd tier for the majority of our life, okay the quality of football is slightly less but apart from that, instead of hoping you don't get relegated, you're hoping you get prompted, it makes no difference to my match day experience as a supporter anyway. With the squad we've assembled and parachute payments, if you have financial issues from relegation then that's from mismanagement.

My 2 fave seasons in recent memory was when we got promoted and our first season in the prem, the rest have been largely forgettable.

There was an interesting piece in the Observer at the weekend.
‘Reports in France claimed Textor had told Lyon to sell 100million Euros of players before the window.’
Textor didn’t deny it outright but said , ‘we do not have sales targets.’

If Guehi goes, as well as Anderson, together with the likes of Ayew, Johnstone, Ahamada, Edouard (plus the loans of Ozoh and JRS ), it does beg the question of whether Textor is similarly putting Palace under pressure.

I confess this is mere speculation on my part as I don’t know the intricacies and workings of the ownership structure.
However, I fail to understand the apparent rush to weaken our squad unless there is some undisclosed reason.

As I said before we took the £150M loan against future sales - so obviously we were going to sell - which we have done - but here we sit in the last few days of the window - 6 points thrown away due to inept transfer dealings and strategy..!!

Yes we may now get an Nketiah, Lacroix and Cherki - but why has it taken so long..!!

Meantime we’re now playing catch up - following losses in two very winnable games..!!

So if all this comes to pass - don’t be telling us Steve look at what I’ve done - it’s bloody too late again - when will he ever learn..!!

As I’ve said many times over Parish is like a bloke driving a leased Bentley he can’t afford but loves the kudos too much to admit it..!!

Until this is resolved and Parish exits stage left we will continue on this path of reactive rather than proactive management of the club..!!

Meantime COYP
I bet every season you look forward to ousting Parish rather than watching football. We are 2 games in. Vs. Brentford, there was nothing wrong with the play, just a diabolical ref. Vs
West Ham, again, we weren't awful, they just beat us on the day. Your assessment is bloody ridiculous. You don't know what is going on behind the scenes with Textor or transfers, and Nketiah was heading somewhere else before now. As for inept transfer business. Yeah, DF has done awful until now, lol. He's only brought in gems last couple of seasons amounting to a massive profit the likes of what Palace has never seen. I mean, be realistic. We are Palace, not Man City.

Last edited:
If Guehi is sold for £70 million then the club have made in the region of £160 million in sales and spent about £25 million. They also got Jairo and Tomkins off the books who were probably earning around £4-6 million a year between them. In theory that could put the club in the position to buy four first-team ready players in the £20-25 million price bracket, leaving a potentially stronger squad and a healthy bank balance.

Until the window closes I am going to try and stay positive. We have been linked with three Chelsea players (at least) and everyone knows they are going to be having a fire sale this week with deals to be had. Wolves have had money issues, so I wouldn't be that surprised if we did move for Ait-Nouri. Swapping Nketiah for Edouard would be a good bit of business in my view. I watched Wolfsburg v Bayern and Lacroix was out injured and the German commentator was saying how important he is, so a deal for him sounds promising. On top of this Palace often come out with a leftfield deal at the last minute so who knows?

I reserve my right to have a breakdown on Saturday morning if we have a poor finish to the window though!

If Guehi is sold for £70 million then the club have made in the region of £160 million in sales and spent about £25 million. They also got Jairo and Tomkins off the books who were probably earning around £4-6 million a year between them. In theory that could put the club in the position to buy four first-team ready players in the £20-25 million price bracket, leaving a potentially stronger squad and a healthy bank balance.

Until the window closes I am going to try and stay positive. We have been linked with three Chelsea players (at least) and everyone knows they are going to be having a fire sale this week with deals to be had. Wolves have had money issues, so I wouldn't be that surprised if we did move for Ait-Nouri. Swapping Nketiah for Edouard would be a good bit of business in my view. I watched Wolfsburg v Bayern and Lacroix was out injured and the German commentator was saying how important he is, so a deal for him sounds promising. On top of this Palace often come out with a leftfield deal at the last minute so who knows?

I reserve my right to have a breakdown on Saturday morning if we have a poor finish to the window though!
The reported bid we put in for Lacroix is already as high as was claimed in the press as the expected price of Wolfsburg before the transfer window started. So is also the opinion of some fans in their transfer blog. But of course interest from a PL club raises the expectations. Their blog where fans discuss a possible move of Lacroix is pretty much the same as our one regarding the sale of Guéhi to Newcastle (PL clubs have money enough, they should pay what we ask for etc.), the differences are mainly the players concerned, the price level and the comments are in German.

Meantime COYP

Not sure what you're expecting from the club with the money we have available. Unless Harris and Blitzer get visited by three ghosts overnight and start opening their welded shut purses, we've only had the money we can raise from sales to buy players or raise finance in other ways (perhaps that loan you're talking about) and as we all know, before this transfer window we'd only really raised any cash from the sale of Wan-Bissaka.

Going forward, even if a mad billionairre were to buy Textor out and sack Parish, as Newcastle have found you can't just go out and spend millions/billions anymore as that ladder has been well and truely pulled up. So we have to sell to buy. Olise was always going to leave—every pundit was practically acting as his agent by the end of last season. If Parish hadn’t convinced Olise to sign a new deal last season, he would have gone to Chelsea for £35 million instead of the £50.8 million we ultimately received, so we made an extra £15.8 million (minus salary paid) thanks to that move.

With the latest transfers apart from Olise, well the Anderson one surprised me but it looks like Fulham came in with a head turning deal, 5 year contract with a year extension, 30 mill (with add ons) that I'm sure Anderson will get a chunk from and salary up from £80k a week to £100k. It's been reported that he was disapointed Palace didn't match that, but would we? I mean if we're paying Anderson £100k a week, how many other players would have started demanding the same? Would you pay that for Anderson now if he was coming to Palace? Not sure I would.

I was sad to see Ayew going, my kind of player as just kept going, but again 8 mill (with add ons) for a 32 year old and a two year contract rather than the rolling one year we had with him. Not sure that would be a deal we'd go for if he was coming to Palace.

Johnstone wanting out is disapointing as I think he's a better keeper than Henderson and would prefer he stay and fight for his place (he'll get his chance given Henderson's irratic reliability) but that's up to him.

So far we've brought in Riad, Kamada and Sarr, but let's be honest, they've not set things alight yet, despite looking good in pre season (although to be fair Sarr looked useful on Saturday). Perhaps given time Riad and Kamada will come good, but at the moment not looking the best. We've still got some time to sign a couple more, talk of Lacroix, Gomez, Nketiah, Sterling and even Wilf being linked to the club and if we can keep hold of Guéhi for a bit longer, then that will help.

On the stadium, I went on a Selhurst Park tour at the end of last year and there was a lot of talk about the new stand. One thing that was said a lot was that the money for the stand and the team budget were two distinct pots of cash, so one didn't affect the other. Could be a load of b0ll0cks, but if true then hopefully we can spend a bit more to bring some replacements in before Friday.

I’ll be delighted when the window closes whatever the outcome. All the click bait stories about outgoings and incomings combined with a lack of any real communication from the club makes the whole thing an unpleasant experience. Add to that our tendency to sell before we buy and not announce our signings until the PR department have made a video in some part of South London plus being 2 weeks and a couple of defeats into the season and it’s a recipe for stress.

If we do make a few signings this week then the pleasure of seeing how they settle into the side is the upside, especially for a club whose season most probably isn’t going to be about competing for Europe.

I have a bit of a bad feeling about our direction of travel; we have failed to build on the success of the end of last season, and lost 2 games where we should expect to have collected at least 4 points. What's going to happen when we face top 10 teams? 🤔

I have a bit of a bad feeling about our direction of travel; we have failed to build on the success of the end of last season, and lost 2 games where we should expect to have collected at least 4 points. What's going to happen when we face top 10 teams? 🤔
Early days still, the team is still being figured out. I'll hold judgement until after the international break. When we may see the team for the season.

The only bad feeling I have is the acquisition or sale of shares by Textor.

I think we will have 3/4 new players by the end of the week.

Early days still, the team is still being figured out. I'll hold judgement until after the international break. When we may see the team for the season.

The only bad feeling I have is the acquisition or sale of shares by Textor.

I think we will have 3/4 new players by the end of the week.
We have three more days to make that happen.

Lacroix would be a start. Nketiah would be a bit better than Edouard. Sterling would be better than nothing... Just.
If Guehi goes, then another CH on top of that.

A very tall order.

I am million miles away from being envy of other mid-table teams who splash 40-50 mil pounds for a player. I would refrain such a move unless being Top 4 team or a team which is well structured but missed only one piece.

Only sour taste i have from this summer is loosing Olise very very cheap. I believe this was a trade off for him to stay one more year and not going to Chelsea. Even i am OK with Anderson`s leave after his comments which indicates that he would be less motivated moving forward.

Lots of shuffles happened (loosing Olise, later incomings, last minute exit of Anderson and Ayew) and i am pretty confident we will bounce back but i prefer to wait October break rather than September. Too early to worry.

I know it hurts to loose 2 games against bang average teams (no clue how West Ham also won yesterday) but this happens and this is why we are addicted to football 🙂

My personal ambition is to push hard for cups (including Caribou) and we can including FA Cup.

Meantime COYP

Getting players in early wouldn't have guaranteed winning those games. Broadly we were the better team in both regardless. Better finishing and a better ref and we'd have 6 points and mood would be better.

Transfers often happen late, especially when clubs are holding out for more money. e.g. Nketiah. Its only going to be in the last couple of days that Arsenal realise they arent going to have a bidding war on their hands and its our offer or nothing.

The fact that the window is open weeks into the season is the real issue.

The hate towards Parish is unnecessary and quite odd. He's lead us to the most sustained 'success', and the overhaul in the squad over the last 18 months is nothing short of outstanding. the fact that people still think he's clueless is just madness.

Back