• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Hopes fading or Masterplan?

We always seem to be planning for a future that never quite arrives!

This goes back to Malcolm Allison and his plan to reinvent us as a South London Benfica, through to the Venables team of the Eighties, Coppell’s top 3 team denied Champions League Football , the flirtation with big money purchases of Benteke, Sako and Cabaye to ‘get us there quicker’ and then where we are now.

Something always seems to hold us back.

A few posters observing the current situation say it’s fine , sell Guehi too and we will the spend more than £100 million on new players.
Does anybody seriously think this will happen?
We’ve just sold one of best players to Fulham , a rival club who also by the way reputedly beat us to the Smith Rowe signing.
They are a comparable club to Palace in size and we should at least be able to compete with them.
We’re linked with Carney of Chelsea, but that immediately makes me think are we contemplating the sale of Eze too?
I genuinely don’t see how we can fix matters in the remaining few days of the transfer window.
Where’s the plan?

Somebody said we were taken aback by Zaha’s decision to leave last summer as we expected him to stay.
This makes no sense - we had years to prepare for that day.
We knew there was a strong chance that Olise’s release clause would be activated this summer .
These are not easy players to replace, but at least you expect to have a succession plan.
JRS is not deemed ready and Franca does not seem the answer, at least at this stage.
If there was a genuine plan why are we supposedly scrambling around in the last few days of the window trying to secure a Sterling loan?

This may seem over critical taking into account the very good job on the whole that the executive leadership has done.

It’s just that in the summer we seemed to have the opportunity to make genuine progress and yet again we seem to be falling away from taking the final step.

I don’t want to add more flames to the fire but when do get settled again into this season, the chances are it will be the exact same thing next summer only this time it will be Wharton, Eze and Munoz attracting all the attention.

Got to love being a palace fan… we are never going to get higher up the league with this policy we have of selling our best players. I understand regeneration of the squad and turning a profit but f*** me it gets on the nerves when you see the weed doing so well and other teams of our standing getting good players in… while we have OE instead of Olise. 🫣

Of course we all want more success, better players and everything else but maybe we should appreciate what we have . There are hundreds of clubs who would love to be where we are and we've done it pretty much on our own terms.
Sorry. Lost my mind.

I don’t want to add more flames to the fire but when do get settled again into this season, the chances are it will be the exact same thing next summer only this time it will be Wharton, Eze and Munoz attracting all the attention.

Got to love being a palace fan… we are never going to get higher up the league with this policy we have of selling our best players. I understand regeneration of the squad and turning a profit but f*** me it gets on the nerves when you see the weed doing so well and other teams of our standing getting good players in… while we have OE instead of Olise. 🫣

In recent seasons, they have sold Sanchez, Mac Allister, Caicedo, Cucurella, Bissouma,Trossard,White etc etc and I suspect their supporters were not best pleased when they departed.
Their record in terms of 'Incomings' is creditable.
Last season Brighton finished below is in 11th, having played in 'Europe' after their 6th placed finish the previous campaign.

In recent seasons, they have sold Sanchez, Mac Allister, Caicedo, Cucurella, Bissouma,Trossard,White etc etc and I suspect their supporters were not best pleased when they departed.
Last season Brighton finished below is in 11th, having played in 'Europe' after their 6th placed finish the previous campaign.
It seems that the EPL business models are either being a net seller or a net buyer of the best talent (maybe there is a neutral ground?). We are clearly positioning ourselves as a net seller, with occasional noise from Parish and co about higher aspirations to placate the fans. So far this season, we are very much net sellers and trying to recruit talent on the cheap. The problem is that our squad is even thinner than last year, as it stands; a couple of injuries from the international break and we will be really struggling to get momentum. I must admit I thought the club would back Glasner more effectively and now it seems we are trying to be opportunistic in the final week compared to other clubs. Loosing Olise was a given, but I can't see how we mitigated that with what has been done so far..... somewhat underwhelming!

I do see that, it’s just amazing how there has been so very little drop off in standards for them. Us on the other hand without just a couple of the players and we have gone seriously backwards. I do not doubt OG will get to work once the window closes but it is a bit frustrating that with the money made we’ve not gone and got an attacking option to replace Olise (unless it’s going to be Sarr… which is a tad underwhelming). We definitely need a left sided Munoz and for the love of god offer £18 million and get Lacroix in. Messing about making lower offers is nonsense this late in the day.

Of course we all want more success, better players and everything else but maybe we should appreciate what we have . There are hundreds of clubs who would love to be where we are and we've done it pretty much on our own terms.
Sorry. Lost my mind.
Agreed, I doubt there is a single club in the league that would not want Wharton, he really wouldn’t look out of place at city or Arsenal. I suspect even Madrid have there eye on him. Doucoure, once fit is a great player and looking forward to seeing them both together. Eze and JPM, Munoz and at the moment and fingers crossed MG all very good.

But we do need to bring some bodies in urgently to allow those players to shine.

Sadly stability and fiscal restraint aren't especially glamorous or sexy!

I'm 42, so apart from the year we go diddled out of Europe (which I really wasn't massively aware of at the time) it feels most of my Palace supporting years growing up was watching us in (what some have called our "spiritual home") the Championship, and, may I add, not always doing especially well in said division spending a number of years flirting with annihilation, finishing 15th, 17th, 20th, 14th - thank the Lord one year we fluked it, finished 5th and have now been spending over a decade in the biggest league in the world, finishing on a mean average of 12th place.

The BBC is running a story that Glasner is unhappy with the outgoings.
Much of the story seems to be conjecture but it states Glasner thought that Olise would be staying and that Anderson is a very important player for the team.
Glasner goes on to suggest that all transfers sit in the sporting director's department.
This doesn't ring entirely true as I'm sure Glasner was instrumental in the purchase of Kamada.
Nonetheless, if we don't strengthen properly this week and don't match Glasner's clear ambition, and then lose again on Sunday, it does not bode well .

Much of the story seems to be conjecture but it states Glasner thought that Olise would be staying and that Anderson is a very important player for the team.
Glasner goes on to suggest that all transfers sit in the sporting director's department.
This doesn't ring entirely true as I'm sure Glasner was instrumental in the purchase of Kamada.
Nonetheless, if we don't strengthen properly this week and don't match Glasner's clear ambition, and then lose again on Sunday, it does not bode well .
I was expecting this: at the very least it's not exactly clever to sell players the day before a match.

Whether the bbc have got it right or not remains to be seen. But for some reason ,Viera, Hodgson, and now OG, have each been left at this point of proceeds asking for, needing two players in, Viera, didn’t get them ,Poor old Roy, didn’t get them , Will OG stand for it if it happens to him?

Whether the bbc have got it right or not remains to be seen. But for some reason ,Viera, Hodgson, and now OG, have each been left at this point of proceeds asking for, needing two players in, Viera, didn’t get them ,Poor old Roy, didn’t get them , Will OG stand for it if it happens to him?
Good point , well made.

Pure conjecture based all around him slamming a door after a loss. I'm sure he's realistic enough to understand the current sales. However if there's no decent additions by the end of the week then the bbc might have a real story on their hands.

No smoke without fire.
OG probably feels players such as Anderson should not have been sold without his direct input and should Guehi, depart without replacements,do not be surprised if he walks,unlike Parish's puppet, Roy!!

Especially considering we have £58m from Olise and Ayew sales plus the £120-£130m for finishing 10th plus potentially another £60m for Guehi…it don’t make sense again. No wonder freedman is driving around in a Bentley 😂

I called it at the end of last season. I expect this crap every season now. I fully expect either Sean dyche or Gareth Southgate to be our manager within the next year.

No smoke without fire.
OG probably feels players such as Anderson should not have been sold without his direct input and should Guehi, depart without replacements,do not be surprised if he walks,unlike Parish's puppet, Roy!!

In pre-season I mentioned to some of my cronies that I had entertained the possibility of Glasner departing before the end of the forthcoming campaign for the reasons I explained to them.

Even ignoring the quality of the squad, numerically we are currently short having lost three first-team regulars (Olise, Andersen and Ayew) and four players who played some role (Jairo, Tomkins, Ozoh and JRS). Last season there were times where we had to use several U21 players to make up the bench, so we are light on numbers. If Freedman & Parish have another successful shopping spree like in January then this could still turn out well. If it's more like the last two summer windows then you do worry for our prospects for this season. A couple of injuries and we have Joel Ward filling for Eze!

Back