• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Hopes fading or Masterplan?

Firstly I would trust DF and Glasner over any fan, when it comes to players signed. Secondly if we are prepared to entertain any offers for all our players, why is Guehi still here? £8m for Ayew and £30m for Andersen were no brainers.
Having said that I do get peed off with a lot of our business being done so late
So would I.

However, recent events don't smack of a plan being in place - succession planning in particular.

Guehi is still here because Newcastle haven't matched Palace's valuation. If they had then he would assumably have gone. It appears that Palace were prepared to negotiate over Andersen's fee - no way would we have got £40m for him.

I stil think Guehi will be gone by next week. But not to Newcastle

I watched the press conference and feel a bit better. OG comes across as so calm that it gives me hope again. Looking at it with my head and not my heart, Last season we were treated to a couple of months of magic football with probably the best team we've had since 91. Yes it got my hopes up but the way OG spoke it does make you realise that there is a plan.

I am gutted the team broke up from last year but the main and most important thing is that OG is here. Dougie is here. In them I now trust.

COYP

what was the point of pre season if all our players go and we get new ones in?
I dont get what you are on about. Out of 26/27 players that have gone through pre season with Palace Rak-Saki on loan (fringe player), Ayew (fringe player), Andersen have gone. So what?
Olise was already gone and was obviously going to be going.
If Guehi goes we'll have a replacement in before that happens. This is hardly a mass exudus.

Think some need to calm down a bit and lets wait and see how the new players (maybe not all signed yet) bed in. For all we know these could ALL be players OG feels are more suited to the way he wants to play and we might do really well.

OG’s press conference was interesting. He seems relaxed although he did suggest mood was down a little the other day. I suspect the phone call from Dougie was about Anderson wanting to go to Fulham and the “wow” wasn’t exactly a positive.
If there’s anything in the clickbait it’s that Palace have been planning for these departures and signings are being lined up. I’m keeping my panties dry until next Friday at 11pm at least and hopefully some time thereafter!

Of course the club has a plan, the players will be replaced by the end of the transfer window, my issue is, for what faults they have, Guehi and Andersen are a great partnership for a lower table side, both prem proven, I dont care how rated their replacements are in Germany or Portugal or wherever they play, they've not done it in the prem and are a risk. I'd never have broken that partnership up.

Of course the club has a plan, the players will be replaced by the end of the transfer window, my issue is, for what faults they have, Guehi and Andersen are a great partnership for a lower table side, both prem proven, I dont care how rated their replacements are in Germany or Portugal or wherever they play, they've not done it in the prem and are a risk. I'd never have broken that partnership up.
Guehi was a risk when he joined. Had hardly had any first team minutes for Chelsea. Andersen had only played in the Prem on loan at Fulham. Hardly a certainty to succeed. All new signings carry an element of risk. The new signings might be failures. I doubt it. I think OG knows what he is doing and will be very hands on with the situation

I dont disagree about the partnership, however:

We did fine without Guehi for a chunk of last season. Guehi and Andersen were great straight out the gate, it wasn't a partnership they had to work on for years. So no reasons that a new player cant come straight in and perform.

Footballing wise they were a good partnership, but our defending from set pieces and crosses was poor last season so hopefully that’ll improve without them

Both replacements could come in and be far better and it's great buisness by the club and we're all happy, it just makes no sense to me overhauling that part of the team, when we still have 1lb and 2 strikers, mateta gets injured, we play Edouard for 90 mins every game ? Maybe sarr could cover, Mitchell gets injured and we're in trouble.

The risk we take is being able to get the deals done by next Friday. Take a bank holiday into account and the amount of factors that can cause a deal to break down, means I’d love to be as optimistic as some who casually state we’ll be getting replacements in next week.
I’ll be surprised if we see more than 1 more incoming. We have a history of SP and his ‘tried to get deals done and it’s difficult at the end of the window.
I hope I am pleasantly surprised, but don’t expect 3-4 incomings next week.
Think we will be weaker at the end of this window than we were at the end of last

So would I.

However, recent events don't smack of a plan being in place - succession planning in particular.

Guehi is still here because Newcastle haven't matched Palace's valuation. If they had then he would assumably have gone. It appears that Palace were prepared to negotiate over Andersen's fee - no way would we have got £40m for him.

I stil think Guehi will be gone by next week. But not to Newcastle
It seems (judging by his piece in the Spammers programme) that he's just been made CLUB captain. That doesn't suggest he's going anywhere in a hurry.

This is both a terrifying and exciting time to be a palace fan. I never in a million years saw this clear out coming.

However, now that it’s happened all we can do is hope that our run of quality signings lately continues and assume that everything is under control.

Not sure what to expect tomorrow but excited to see.

Also Sky reporting MG is honoured to be made club captain, is this a master stroke in the works and SP has convinced him to extend his contact with us? It does make you wonder otherwise why make him captain?

I dont get what you are on about. Out of 26/27 players that have gone through pre season with Palace Rak-Saki on loan (fringe player), Ayew (fringe player), Andersen have gone. So what?
Olise was already gone and was obviously going to be going.
If Guehi goes we'll have a replacement in before that happens. This is hardly a mass exudus.

Think some need to calm down a bit and lets wait and see how the new players (maybe not all signed yet) bed in. For all we know these could ALL be players OG feels are more suited to the way he wants to play and we might do really well.

This is the correct answer..!!

Clearly OG has taken a look and decided he needs to shuffle the pack to suit the style he wants to play..!!

On Andersen - good passer - but defending - which is his primary requisite not so great - just how many times did we concede from dead ball/set piece situations last season..??

You only need to look at the second goal Brentford scored last weekend - we were all over the place And

Clearly OG seen enough and decided it needs changing..!!

Personally I’m excited - think if we get Lacroix - will be better than Andersen - that with Riad - means 1 out and 2 in - it’s all about quality in depth..!!

Think Guehi will stay now - if not £65M gives us more than enough to adequately replace him - see we’re linked with Araujo and Kossounou - both quality replacements.

For my money still need a left footed attacker - my preference would be Madueke - but `Sterling (albeit not left footed) would be a great signing for us..!!

Then a left wing back Gosens or Kostic - look favourites..!!

We will see - but exciting and interesting times..!!

COYP

Having just read Guehi’s piece in the programme , he really doesn’t sound like a player who’s on the verge of leaving.
In the piece he pays tribute to Ward , whose captaincy he’s taken, and writes of his hopes for the club.
It doesn’t sound like a short term appointment and it looks at the moment more likely that he’ll stay.
It will be interesting to see who takes Anderson’s position in the centre of the back 3 tomorrow.
Will it be Marc or will it be Richards?
There will have to be a reshaping of the back 3.

On the wider issues , in Glasner’s press conference he gave a realistic assessment that there are only 4 or 5 clubs in a position who can turn down very good offers, and Palace isn’t one of them.
He seemed on board with this, but I hope he pushes the directors to match his ambitions for the club.
The test will be next week to see the signings we make.

Out

Olise
Andersen
Ayew

In

Kamada
Riad
Sarr

Currently we're weaker than last season. A couple of decent signings in the next weak and that might change.

A win tomorrow would also make everyone feel a lot better about things.

A loss and suddenly we're bottom of the league after two games, players leaving and things become a bit panicky.

Well we now have enough money to build the new white elephant (aka the Parish stand,) and to repay loans to Textor to allow his smooth exit to buy Everton.

To lose these players at the start of the season is at best worrying but we have to assume there is a master plan

Or at least bloody hope there is some sort of strategy

People keep talking about financial viability, but it's not a very viable model if you sell your best players and get relegated. If Andersen, Guehi and Ayew were to go then as it stands we are a significantly weaker team having already lost our best player (Olise). It is then about who the club bring in. Dougie has done a great job but let's not pretend every signing has been a hit, so there is a big element of risk. Obviously, we're all in the dark and Parish is now very experienced as a PL chairman so we have to trust he knows what he's doing, but from the outside, it does have the hallmarks of a fire sale rather than some coordinated plan which worries me that there may be bigger financial issues at the club.
Eze is/was our best player.

Back