• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Hopes fading or Masterplan?

There appears to be confidence that all this is planned and that all be well with Glasner at the helm .
I wish I could share that confidence.
At the end of the season the stated intention was to keep the squad together and perhaps add one or two.

Only last week Glasner said he would be happy if the squad remained the same at the end of the transfer window.

The last few days do not give the impression of a long term strategic plan, and in my view constitute something of a gamble.

Yes, we're linked with new players but have no idea if they will be able to perform at the very consistent level of the players they are replacing .

Glasner has a record of walking when unhappy and is only contracted until the end of next season in any event.

Too much upheaval for my tastes even with people providing a financial rationale for these sudden changes.
I want to watch football, not a balance sheet, and as I understand it, we are one of the better run clubs in terms of finances in any event.

If we receive 150 mill this summer and still start the season with 1 lb I'll be fuming definitely no master plan, more like parish has said to the Americans, you remember that stand we've been stringing along, yeah ? Well we've finally got planning permission, I've told the fans we're starting work next summer, can I have that 150 mill please, Americans burst into laughter.

I struggle to understand why people are doubting the leadership, the turnaround in the squad over the last 3 years has been nothing short of remarkable. Almost every player to a man is a full international with ever increasing value. We've gone from having one of the oldest and threadbare squads in the league, to one that is

All of the deals on the table are great money. All the touted replacements look great. We'll end up with some cash for the new stand, and buy more players than we sell.

Bottom line, lets trust the team that has got us into this position.

Andersen leaving for £30m is quite surprising. He is a good player. Especially in a back 3 of CB he is the best ball playing centre back in the Palace team. It is surprising. Does this mean Guehi will definitely stay now even if Newcastle or someone else offers £70m?
Alex Crook on talksport who is very reliable is expecting them both to go, we’re cashing in on both while they’re worth a fortune

Last edited:
As I'm sure I've posted before, at the moment it's looking like a classic case of Palace imploding just when they are on the brink of something special. In nearly 60 years of supporting them, this is nothing new to me.

However I'm clinging to the hope that Freedman would not have signed a new deal just to oversee the selling of our established players. And also Glasner must have some influence over what is happening.

I've been turning it over in my mind, and I'm also hoping that the club are utilising a football equivalent of the ' 9 box grid ' that I used to use to measure talent management and succession planning. That would be a form of Masterplan.

If they're not, maybe I could sell them one....

It’s gone from a decent looking transfer window to a shocker in a few days. Can it be turned back again?
We ain’t great at getting players in late in the window.
Anyone still think a push for Europe is still on, with so many changes?

It’s gone from a decent looking transfer window to a shocker in a few days. Can it be turned back again?
We ain’t great at getting players in late in the window.
Anyone still think a push for Europe is still on, with so many changes?
No... I'd love to be wrong but I think we have put ourselves in a complete mess in no time. Yes we have loads of cash now but we have got rid of important players and left hardly any time to make changes that will bond together to make a team that will stay up let alone try for Europe.

As I'm sure I've posted before, at the moment it's looking like a classic case of Palace imploding just when they are on the brink of something special. In nearly 60 years of supporting them, this is nothing new to me.

However I'm clinging to the hope that Freedman would not have signed a new deal just to oversee the selling of our established players. And also Glasner must have some influence over what is happening.

I've been turning it over in my mind, and I'm also hoping that the club are utilising a football equivalent of the ' 9 box grid ' that I used to use to measure talent management and succession planning. That would be a form of Masterplan.

If they're not, maybe I could sell them one....
I’m the same as you neillo, seen it all before several times, but it does feel a bit different this time, our gems are worth so much at the moment and with players able to run their contracts down it almost seems sensible to me to be cashing in now, because their value will soon drop. Also who’s to say we’ll be any better with them this season, we could hang on to them, have an average or poor season and this time next year their value plummets. Also I’m happy we’ve brought replacements in and it seems we’re actively looking for more

I struggle to understand why people are doubting the leadership, the turnaround in the squad over the last 3 years has been nothing short of remarkable. Almost every player to a man is a full international with ever increasing value. We've gone from having one of the oldest and threadbare squads in the league, to one that is

All of the deals on the table are great money. All the touted replacements look great. We'll end up with some cash for the new stand, and buy more players than we sell.

I'll give my perspective of this, which you may well disagree with.
I follow the top two leagues of English football closely and was very familiar with Anderson, Guehi, Eze and Olise.
We were buying proven players in English football of great potential.
They have exceeded expectations.
Similarly, Wharton looks like a great buy.

However, the record on overseas purchases with no experience of English football has been patchy.

Anderson and Guehi (I know he's not gone yet) have been a wonderful and consistent partnership in recent seasons under Vieira, Hodgson and Glasner.
It's a tall order to expect the overseas players we're linked with to replicate that at least in the early months.
New to the country, new to their teammates and the League and possibly new to the language.
Guehi and Anderson both captained the team and there is also the loss of their leadership.
I'm not being negative, just realistic.

It's being reported that Guehi is unlikely to play on Saturday , even if he hasn't moved by then
How's Glasner supposed to prepare for this match defensively without our 2 key defenders at such short notice?

I'm also aware that we are lining up these sales (including Ayew) in advance of new signings.
That really puts the pressure on next week when we try to get deals over the line when people know we have money.

It's not a question of faith in the management.

I have a lot of time for Parish, Freedman and Glasner who have done great jobs.
But it's not blind faith, and I don't think anyone can dispute that we're weaker than the end of last season.
Look at the activity of West Ham, Fulham ,Villa and Brighton.
Even Ipswich seem to be more adventurous in their acquisitions.

Where's the ambition in comparison from Palace (I know there's a week to go in the window)?

All this without touching on the need for a LWB (which Glasner highlighted) and a player who can offer some creativity like Olise.

Agree, many on here are wetting themselves without all the facts behind the transfer window. It was clearly explained 3 years ago, the policy is to buy youngsters develop them and sell on for a profit and build up the squad depth. Parish and Freeman have been very successful so far, there is no reason to doubt them now.

Agree, many on here are wetting themselves without all the facts behind the transfer window. It was clearly explained 3 years ago, the policy is to buy youngsters develop them and sell on for a profit and build up the squad depth. Parish and Freeman have been very successful so far, there is no reason to doubt them now.
Which is all well and good in a business sense, how many fans support a football club to see it run as a successful buisness off the pitch , have we been that successful so far ? For a club our size, remaining in the prem has been successful, our actual performance in this league has been mediocre at best, we've never looked close to competing for a place in Europe. Look at Leicester, they've been relegated and prompted twice while we've been in the prem and have had far more success than us. There's probably been about 15 different clubs who've played in Europe during our time in the prem.

Which is all well and good in a business sense, how many fans support a football club to see it run as a successful buisness off the pitch , have we been that successful so far ? For a club our size, remaining in the prem has been successful, our actual performance in this league has been mediocre at best, we've never looked close to competing for a place in Europe. Look at Leicester, they've been relegated and prompted twice while we've been in the prem and have had far more success than us. There's probably been about 15 different clubs who've played in Europe during our time in the prem.

Don't worry Rik the Z, we'll make it to Europe one day and we'll be properly prepared to do so, not a flash in the pan.

Lets not forget we were almost in the relegation zone when OG took over, with Andersen and Guehi as our season-long centre back pairing. We leak goals from headers at corners, and never score from our own. Our centre back pairing is pretty good, but slow if we play a high line and pressing game, and not particularly dominant in the air. Trust in Dougie and OG.
When you say "almost in the relegation zone", it sounds dramatic. However, I believe we were two losses away from the relegation zone. And that would be assuming some teams below us won. I'm not sure we have ever really flirted with relegation since we were last promoted. At least, I have never doubted our resilience, despite our loveable doomsayer Willo, amongst several others, predicting it annually.

Back on topic, I think we wil have the usual season. Some good wins away from home, some absolute howlers at home, and finish around mid table. 8/9th if all goes well, 13/14th if not. Hopes are the same as the end of last season, top half. Wishes, as always, we win the league, FA cup and League cup

Last edited:
I must admit I am a little concerned that after an excellent end of last season and warm up to the start of this season Fulham game we were robbed. we are now selling players left right and centre with a very short space of time to bring players in. Or are my expectations to high for the new season, with the likes of Anderson all but gone and reports that Guehi and Ayew are close to leaving. I can see Ayew being an end of career move, so that is not that surprising. I am concerned about our defence is being ripped apart. I don’t think for one minute that the club would not sell these players without having players lined up.
New players, players who have no Premiership experience have got to adapt to the playing speed and style of the Premiership, this is going to take time, then as a club are we then going to have to play catch-up with the rest of the league.
Then there is this Textor issue wanting out to buy Everton is this having an effect with the clubs finances. Imo the sooner he’s gone the better
Or..Is it because we are so use to being under that cloud that change is difficult to accept. For a long time, we all, or most of us admitted that we just seem to be taking 12 steps forward and 20 back and after x amount of years in the Premiership we seem to be standing still while others around us seem to be progressing tenfold specially under Roy Hodgson management. Players were signed but never given a chance because he had his faithful.
Now Oliver Glasner has been appointed and a refreshing style of football and new ideas has been bought into the club are we moving in a different way. Keeping Doug Freedman at the club was essential and is there now a growing bond between him an Glasner that is complementing each other.

I'll give my perspective of this, which you may well disagree with.
I follow the top two leagues of English football closely and was very familiar with Anderson, Guehi, Eze and Olise.
We were buying proven players in English football of great potential.
They have exceeded expectations.
Similarly, Wharton looks like a great buy.

However, the record on overseas purchases with no experience of English football has been patchy.

Anderson and Guehi (I know he's not gone yet) have been a wonderful and consistent partnership in recent seasons under Vieira, Hodgson and Glasner.
It's a tall order to expect the overseas players we're linked with to replicate that at least in the early months.
New to the country, new to their teammates and the League and possibly new to the language.
Guehi and Anderson both captained the team and there is also the loss of their leadership.
I'm not being negative, just realistic.

It's being reported that Guehi is unlikely to play on Saturday , even if he hasn't moved by then
How's Glasner supposed to prepare for this match defensively without our 2 key defenders at such short notice?

I'm also aware that we are lining up these sales (including Ayew) in advance of new signings.
That really puts the pressure on next week when we try to get deals over the line when people know we have money.

It's not a question of faith in the management.

I have a lot of time for Parish, Freedman and Glasner who have done great jobs.
But it's not blind faith, and I don't think anyone can dispute that we're weaker than the end of last season.
Look at the activity of West Ham, Fulham ,Villa and Brighton.
Even Ipswich seem to be more adventurous in their acquisitions.

Where's the ambition in comparison from Palace (I know there's a week to go in the window)?

All this without touching on the need for a LWB (which Glasner highlighted) and a player who can offer some creativity like Olise.

for context, Guehi had never played in the PL before signing for us. Walks straight into our first team in the prem.

Anderson had struggled to settle at any club, Holland, Italy, France, Prem. Pretty much a season everywhere and then moved on. Againt straight into our team as a mainstay.

Lacroix, has 4 full seasons in the German top flight, and CL experience. Mush better than either Anderson or Guehi when they signed.

Riad has come up in the Barca academy, and has had a full seas in La Liga

Then we know of Kamada's pedigree.

So you ask of the ambition, the ambition for me is clear to see. Selling soe of our players for great fees, and building a better team as a result of it.

Buying a 28year old Anderson or £30mill isn't ambitious. What transfer value will he have at the end of his contract. Zero. However, Riad might be a £50mil player in 5 years.

For me, its so clear to see that we are moving in the right direction.

I think the worry is that Palace do not have a great record of getting deals over the line in the last week of the window. When Vieira came in that was probably our best-ever summer window when we signed Guehi, Andersen, Olise and Hughes, but that was an exception. Last summer's lack of activity was saved by a great January. Dougie is a premium truffle hunter, but finding them is one thing, digging them up and getting them in your pocket is another. For what it's worth I think Riad and Kamada will turn out to be good signings. I'm less sold on Sarr as I don't see him fitting the OG system, but who knows. I think we could all do with an out-of-the-blue spirit-lifting signing.

Back