• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Hopes fading or Masterplan?

The priority should be to hang on to are Freedman and Glasner. Together, they have the ability to identify affordable young players with top potential, and then develop those players in to high value assets. Selling 28 year old Anderson for £30m and buying 2 young CB's (Lacroix and Aruajo) is a perfect example. The club has already built a reputation for incubating and realising talent and this will eventually translate in to sustainable success. I'm very happy that the club is constantly improving it's ability to improve and compete to attract top class players. Freedman and Glasner are the absolute key to that success.

I am fully 'Au Fait' of the credentials of the players acquired thus far.

Not in 'Full flow' on HOL on this matter but privately the dam has bust, water gushing out.
Your second sentence is vague.
Are you aware of financial issues at the club to do with Textor's probable exit or otherwise?
We've lost Olise and potentially Anderson and Ayew .
The stories won't go away about Guehi and it seems that an exit could still happen .
Something seems to have changed since the end of last season and the current flurry of moves towards the end of the window doesn't smack of long term strategic planning.

The priority should be to hang on to are Freedman and Glasner. Together, they have the ability to identify affordable young players with top potential, and then develop those players in to high value assets. Selling 28 year old Anderson for £30m and buying 2 young CB's (Lacroix and Aruajo) is a perfect example. The club has already built a reputation for incubating and realising talent and this will eventually translate in to sustainable success. I'm very happy that the club is constantly improving it's ability to improve and compete to attract top class players. Freedman and Glasner are the absolute key to that success.

Some might argue, "Only to be sold off" when top clubs come calling.Rinse and repeat.

Your second sentence is vague.
Are you aware of financial issues at the club to do with Textor's probable exit or otherwise?
We've lost Olise and potentially Anderson and Ayew .
The stories won't go away about Guehi and it seems that an exit could still happen .
Something seems to have changed since the end of last season and the current flurry of moves towards the end of the window doesn't smack of long term strategic planning.

Merely a riposte to the accusation that I am a doomsayer and an 'Elijah of doom' apropos our prospects, and I wholeheartedly accept that the accusation is valid !
My message was that privately I have been in "Full flow" whereas on HOL I have tempered my doom and gloom !
I have a concerns about the impending season on account of the 'Churn' of players, losing key assets and replacing them with those who might not make the mark.

Come Saturday 31st August we will have a clearer picture of where we are. I see no point in panicking or getting worried before then. One either trusts Parish, Freedman and Glasner know what they're doing or one doesn't. I'm in the camp that trusts them.

If we find ourselves with 2 or 3 new players between now and the transfer window close, it may take a while for our preferred match day squad to gel. Fortunately, we do have an international break after the Chelsea game on 1st September.

I'm still optimistic about this season.
Trouble is these days many of our players will be on international duty.

Its called Sustainability, like any Buisness, buy cheap, sell Expensive, Like Olise, Not Buy big and lose your money, Like Benteke and Sakho.
Exactly. Geuhi, Andersen and Olise cost us £50m combined and we sell them for £150m+. That allows us to lower our risks in the market by buying young players with a track record of success rather than just potential. Even selling Ayew for £6m gives us a healthy profit on a player that cost us £2m in the autumn of his career with less than a year left on his contract. I think we're progressing well and going from strength to strength financially, overall player quality and as a brand.

maybe we need t adjust expectations a bit? Glasner will have an idea of the team he wants and the players he needs. It won't be obvious to us right now as we can't see the whole. Perhaps this season is more about getting together the Glasner team, rather than continuing on the trajectory we finished last season on. Breaking a few eggs to make an omelette so they say.

Given the optimism felt since the back end of last season, I would hate for the likes of Merson, Shearer, and the other brain dead pundits on TV to be proved right in their assessment of our chances this season!

Given the optimism felt since the back end of last season, I would hate for the likes of Merson, Shearer, and the other brain dead pundits on TV to be proved right in their assessment of our chances this season!
Shearer's a nonse, I wouldn't worry about him.

We started the summer brilliantly with those early signings but it's all gone a bit quiet now, hasn't it. Losing Olise and Andersen is just about tolerable, losing Guehi and/or Eze as well would be shocking. Especially as Parish said we wouldn't lose both CBs in one window. There's 10 or so days left in the window and we seriously need to get moving and do some business if we're going to push on from last season.

Selling Andersen and Guehi would be a big gamble in terms of football. There is talk of Ayew going as well.

It appears from the outside that Parish wants to cash in on players over and above any footballing matters. That totally sucks for supporters and gives them a why do I bother feeling.

Obviously, our performance this season will tell us if the players in and out was actually a good idea, but one thing it does suggest is that Parish has conceded that we will never finish above mid table in this era. That is rather sad.

I guess the whole thing depends upon What happens once the window closes. Guehi may yet be staying. Never underestimate a billionaire's influence on the media. They are making all sorts of positive noises re MG. Equally it is common knowledge that they have been seriously looking at alternatives. They opened talks with Leverkusen over Tapsoba only yesterday. Even if they remain determined to buy MG Palace may be equally determined to keep him now JA has all but gone.
Even if MG does go we will almost definitely have Lacroix in place before we allow him to go. This is a player Glasner clearly rates.
I think the only way you can fairly look at this as a negative is if the replacements for players we have sold turn out quickly to look rubbish. I just dont believe that will be the case but as I said, time will tell.

In my 35 or however many years of following Palace, my gut reflection on our past transfer activity is largely the following:

1 - Missed signings who have gone to bigger, better, more glamorous teams.
2 - Signing aged starlets who are terrible and who....
3 - We've paid a premium for to encourage them to finish their career with us and who....
4 - Watch walk out the door on a free whenever what little career they had with us comes to an end.

I've also felt Palace's scouting network was literally non existent and my mind is just awash with a litany of terrible, terrible players.

So, fast forward to now. I've been blown away by our transfer activity of the last few years, identifying and robbing the Championship of some serious talent (Eze, Olise and Wharton!) for peanuts, getting MG from Chelsea and probably flipping him for a cheeky ~40m profit. Then unearthing gems like Munoz, Richards and Doucoure (who was touted at being another 70m talent!)

My point being is I firmly back SP, DF and OG to do what's best for the club, so would it suck to lose MG and JA?! Maybe, but crucially we're being more than fairly paid for both which is almost uncharted territory for Palace, and just as we bought them in the first place on the market I back the Board to carry on their sterling work and find equally able replacements - which I don't thnk will be especially hard in the case of JA, who, as much as I like is clearly losing a step and is probably the most error prone defender on the team I think.

In my 35 or however many years of following Palace, my gut reflection on our past transfer activity is largely the following:

1 - Missed signings who have gone to bigger, better, more glamorous teams.
2 - Signing aged starlets who are terrible and who....
3 - We've paid a premium for to encourage them to finish their career with us and who....
4 - Watch walk out the door on a free whenever what little career they had with us comes to an end.

I've also felt Palace's scouting network was literally non existent and my mind is just awash with a litany of terrible, terrible players.

So, fast forward to now. I've been blown away by our transfer activity of the last few years, identifying and robbing the Championship of some serious talent (Eze, Olise and Wharton!) for peanuts, getting MG from Chelsea and probably flipping him for a cheeky ~40m profit. Then unearthing gems like Munoz, Richards and Doucoure (who was touted at being another 70m talent!)

My point being is I firmly back SP, DF and OG to do what's best for the club, so would it suck to lose MG and JA?! Maybe, but crucially we're being more than fairly paid for both which is almost uncharted territory for Palace, and just as we bought them in the first place on the market I back the Board to carry on their sterling work and find equally able replacements - which I don't thnk will be especially hard in the case of JA, who, as much as I like is clearly losing a step and is probably the most error prone defender on the team I think.

Agree all round.

There's always room for worry however I'm choosing to remain optimistic here. I'll moan if the evidence presents itself and not speculatively... as I always have! 🤣

Without “sugar daddy” owners the climb up the PL table is rarely achieved. We will have to inch our way there and it will take time. The last 3 years have seen us take a very healthy step but from now on the difficulty levels increase as the vultures start to circle. Players like Olise are on a different timeline and Anderson at 28 while good for us is not a champions league player.

I thought we lacked last seasons intensity on Sunday but still the better side and unlucky not to win overall. Glasner took 4-5 games to kick us into gear and it looks similar to me this season.

Optimistic we will play good football which ultimately will lead to enjoyment and results.

Back