• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Hopes fading or Masterplan?

Selling Andersen and Guehi would be a big gamble in terms of football. There is talk of Ayew going as well.

It appears from the outside that Parish wants to cash in on players over and above any footballing matters. That totally sucks for supporters and gives them a why do I bother feeling.

Obviously, our performance this season will tell us if the players in and out was actually a good idea, but one thing it does suggest is that Parish has conceded that we will never finish above mid table in this era. That is rather sad.
It's only a gamble if we don't replace them with at least the same quality. One of the things we've been missing over the years is depth of squad. Last season we were flirting with relegation for months when we had injuries to our top few players of real quality. I don't see the club selling their best assets unless they're coming to the end of their careers, contracts or we can generate such sums that allow us to improve the overall squad.

It's only a gamble if we don't replace them with at least the same quality. One of the things we've been missing over the years is depth of squad. Last season we were flirting with relegation for months when we had injuries to our top few players of real quality. I don't see the club selling their best assets unless they're coming to the end of their careers, contracts or we can generate such sums that allow us to improve the overall squad.
I think the biggest gamble is putting a defence together with players who have just met and expecting them to gel overnight. How many games before they become a unit? How many points lost?

The Premier League is an unforgiving place.

Kouyate 10.7m Guaita 0 Meyer 0 McCarthy 3.3m Ayew 2.8m Cahill 0 Eze 17.8m Butland 1.2m Guehi 23.4m Andersen 16.3m Mateta 11m Olise 9.3 Hughes 7m Plange 1.18m Ferguson 0
Doucoure 22.6 Ahamada 12m Richards 12m Johnstone 0 Ebiowei 0 Wharton 21.1m Franca 20m
Hendersen 17.5 Muñuz 8 Holding 1.2m Riad 15m Sarr 15m Kamada 0

All the signings Freedman has made since he took the role of Sporting Director on 1 sept 2017, a week after rejoining the club, not a bad record is it, all figures in Euros, multiply by .8 to get pounds, from Transfermkt

It appears from the outside that Parish wants to cash in on players over and above any footballing matters. That totally sucks for supporters and gives them a why do I bother feeling.

Assuming you mean "cash in to finance the development of Selhurst", I think one could make a pretty compelling case as to that actually being a solid idea. As SP said on the wireless, in reality all teams get a very similar amount of TV money so the difference maker it ticket sales, and we're always behind all but the most ridiculous premier league grounds.

However through skill, genius, luck of a combination of all three, we're suddenly in a position where we're probably too good to go down (ho ho ho) but could raise 150m in pretty short order. Just like when dear old Granny shuffles off in her 90's leaving a nice wedge to the boomer children, it's THEN when the new conservatory gets built, the roof gets replaced etc. Maybe this is the exact moment to cash in the windfall, scrap away for a mid table finish with what we've got, but actually move the club forward to benefit the next 20 years.

Lets not forget we were almost in the relegation zone when OG took over, with Andersen and Guehi as our season-long centre back pairing. We leak goals from headers at corners, and never score from our own. Our centre back pairing is pretty good, but slow if we play a high line and pressing game, and not particularly dominant in the air. Trust in Dougie and OG.

Assuming you mean "cash in to finance the development of Selhurst", I think one could make a pretty compelling case as to that actually being a solid idea. As SP said on the wireless, in reality all teams get a very similar amount of TV money so the difference maker it ticket sales, and we're always behind all but the most ridiculous premier league grounds.

However through skill, genius, luck of a combination of all three, we're suddenly in a position where we're probably too good to go down (ho ho ho) but could raise 150m in pretty short order. Just like when dear old Granny shuffles off in her 90's leaving a nice wedge to the boomer children, it's THEN when the new conservatory gets built, the roof gets replaced etc. Maybe this is the exact moment to cash in the windfall, scrap away for a mid table finish with what we've got, but actually move the club forward to benefit the next 20 years.
I fully understand the bigger picture in terms of club development, but money for the stadium is supposed to be separate.
We have to remain successful on the field in order to remain in this division and get new generations of fans.
A new stand will look pretty redundant when we are getting 15k in the Championship.

A wholesale replacement of our defence would be a big gamble, however you look at it.

I must admit I do have faith that Dougie and Parish will do their absolute best to back Glasner. So far they have gone and signed players that clearly are Glasner players - Kamada, Riad, Munoz (although signed during Hodgson, quite clearly is a Glasner player), etc.
However, there is one thing that is bothering me a bit... Textor is quite clearly hellbent on losing all his money with Everton. If we cannot find a buyer for his shares, does that mean that Parish and co. are looking to buy him out? If so, I worry that the money for players may not be reinvested into the playing staff and more likely be used as capital for Textor to buy Everton.

I think the biggest gamble is putting a defence together with players who have just met and expecting them to gel overnight. How many games before they become a unit? How many points lost?

The Premier League is an unforgiving place.
Any new CBs cant do as bad as current duo at defending corners and conceding goals from them.

I fully understand the bigger picture in terms of club development, but money for the stadium is supposed to be separate.
We have to remain successful on the field in order to remain in this division and get new generations of fans.
A new stand will look pretty redundant when we are getting 15k in the Championship.

A wholesale replacement of our defence would be a big gamble, however you look at it.
Maybe they have a couple of biscuit tins labelled, New stand and Transfers

Both Guehi and Andersen were a wholesale replacement when they joined the club at the same time (in the summer of 2021) The only other CB's were Kelly and Tomkins that season. We'd be left with Richards, Lerma, Riad and Holding as cover if they both left and then have Lacroix, Arouja to gel and £50m to play with. Pretty good business.

Maybe they have a couple of biscuit tins labelled, New stand and Transfers
Does the word ringfenced mean anything to you?

Both Guehi and Andersen were a wholesale replacement when they joined the club at the same time (in the summer of 2021) The only other CB's were Kelly and Tomkins that season. We'd be left with Richards, Lerma, Riad and Holding as cover if they both left and then have Lacroix, Arouja to gel and £50m to play with. Pretty good business.
The proof of the pudding...

Let's see how it works out.

If you believe that, your more gullible than i though, whats ringfenced the original 100m or the new price 150m, get a grip
I liked your post because I like consistency.

🙄 Even if it's consistently tedious.

I don't claim to know the club's finances. It is easy to assume that the current fire sale is a fundraiser for the stadium development.
Unless you have the company books to hand, I assume you are just speculating like everyone else who does not run the club.

I am not worried yet

However I am concerned with teams like Brentford and fulham spending 100 million on players.

Surely budget wise and sales wise we are in a similar boat to them, so why are they spending loads more than us?

Just concerned we will get left behind and play catch up in January again like we did last season

Brighton I can understand as Chelsea have chucked them 150 odd million in the last few years and West Ham got 100 mill for rice and have had european money the last few years.

I am actually certain that Palace are imploding! MO gone, JA gone, MG possibly gone very soon, JA possibly on his way to Leicester, teams now sniffing round JPM with no new deal sorted at Palace. How we thought we would be pushing on this season after how we finished the last. I wonder what OG must be thinking?

I am actually certain that Palace are imploding! MO gone, JA gone, MG possibly gone very soon, JA possibly on his way to Leicester, teams now sniffing round JPM with no new deal sorted at Palace. How we thought we would be pushing on this season after how we finished the last. I wonder what OG must be thinking?

MO - Release Clause which was part of our deal to obtain him in first instance.
Andersen - Losing pace, value and beyond long balls not a critical miss to the defence.
MG - Will only go for 'superstar' money as Parish put it, after seeing England through to a final.
Ayew - At the end of his career and perhaps not suited to manger's style.
JPM - There's always rumours and speculation. Had a great flurry to end of last season but so did everyone.

Kamada, Riad and Sarr in... so far.

I'm not trying to ridicule your post at all but don't panic. I like to panic. I've always panicked. I'm very far from it here though.

I have faith in the manager/his system, our transfer strategy and my tempered expectations haven't ever really exceeded 'staying up'.

We might be in a bit of a transitional stage which will always come with risk and downsides but I'm still excited for the future, even if it's not an immediate one. I genuinely think we won't get going for a few games yet but we'll be in a good position.

Concern certainly, selling your better players is always a concern. But only when this window shuts and we have not covered the gaps is it worth bricking it.
Not done yet but if Guehi, goes late ,I just hope we have one in that has been cooking all the way along, oven ready as they say.

Lets not forget we were almost in the relegation zone when OG took over, with Andersen and Guehi as our season-long centre back pairing. We leak goals from headers at corners, and never score from our own. Our centre back pairing is pretty good, but slow if we play a high line and pressing game, and not particularly dominant in the air. Trust in Dougie and OG.
Guehi was unavailable to Glasner until the last game. He did fine without him. Its losing both he AND Andersen that many are concerned about.

Back