• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Hopes fading or Masterplan?

I think we will look back on this as another period of missed opportunity.
Replacing both prime centre backs could be catastrophic, especially with Richards injury record.
Only time will tell, but I certainly feel now more glass half empty than half full. Wouldn’t fully surprise me if Eze goes as well to a late large bid.

Don’t know about a Masterplan, I’m more concerned with preparation for Saturday’s game.
Nixon is now reporting that Ayew is off to Leicester.
That’s a lot of experience disappearing in Ayew and Anderson as well as two battlers who rarely get injured and always give 100%.
These players are players who have played Premier League football over a number of years and I just hope their replacements get up to speed rapidly.

My own feelings are that of disappointment. I was so looking forward to this season. I honestly thought (stupidly) that we would have a season with the team that finished so well last season. I just wanted 1 season in my lifetime where we had a good chance of winning a cup and pushing for Europe.

I should have known better, especially being convinced that England would win the Euros, that the rug would be pulled from under our feet.

The way I feel now is that after Olise leaving, the loss on Sunday, especially how sluggish and disjointed we appeared at times and now Anderson leaving, is that my optimism has gone and I’m back in reality. The facts are we are always going to be a good solid club in or around the premier league but any star players or top performers have a price and that is that. As a Palace fan I am aware how good we have it right now, over a decade in the top flight, I shouldn’t grumble but last season at the end we just looked like we had something really special.

Shame but that is our lot as Palace fans. COYP

Some fans live in a fantasy world. I think the master plan is to maximize revenue while trying to remain consistently in the top half of the League.

I don't think Parish & Co. believe we'll ever have the resources, year in and year out, to compete with the top 6 and secure play in Europe. it may happen from time to time, but that's all. And we'll slip down to the low end of the table (13-16) from time to time, too.

Seeing the difference players like Munoz and Wharton can make, I don't think it's reasonable for us to think we can retain and pay players of their ability for too long, let alone for stars like Olise and Eze and maybe even Mateta. We need to sell 'em high, and trust in Dougie et al to replace them as best he can.

Some fans live in a fantasy world. I think the master plan is to maximize revenue while trying to remain consistently in the top half of the League.

I don't think Parish & Co. believe we'll ever have the resources, year in and year out, to compete with the top 6 and secure play in Europe. it may happen from time to time, but that's all. And we'll slip down to the low end of the table (13-16) from time to time, too.

Seeing the difference players like Munoz and Wharton can make, I don't think it's reasonable for us to think we can retain and pay players of their ability for too long, let alone for stars like Olise and Eze and maybe even Mateta. We need to sell 'em high, and trust in Dougie et al to replace them as best he can.
Is there something wrong with you, you are talking sense, about a small club punching above there weight, as they always will, unless a sugar daddy turns up, i cant believe the crap a lot of supporters are spouting, knowing when to sell is vital, and know is the right time to cash in for sustainability, there are many players like Muñoz (8m) about, and we have the scouting team to find them, buy for 15/20m, 5 year contract and you make another 50m, its taken some time but we are now self-sufficient as a club for probably the first time.

This is all consistent with SP interview on Talksport last Sunday. We find talent, develop it and sell for financial gain. We are not in a position (yet) to buy players in mid late 20's put them on good contracts and write off fee over the period of said contract. That was my understanding.
Anderson may have come as a bit of a curve ball, with them being prepared to pay so much for him. We don't know Glasners view, possibly he thought him too slow, say if he wants to play a high line. Fulham may not care about that, if they drop deep. Nonetheless it fits in with the strategy.
I'm pleased with Glasner. The end of last season was great, but we can't build or run the club round him, or indeed any other manager's wishes, well not totally. If he's successful, he's off. If he's not he's sacked. The best scenario for a sustained period with him is a little above mediocrity.
So I think a poor start to the season, with too many new players at the back. Followed by steady improvement and approx 11th finish.

For years we havent really had any saleable assets, as we bought ageing journeymen. The strategy changed about 3 years ago to buying younger players and selling on after a few years. So fans arent used to players been sold, but its a sound business plan.
In Austria as well as in Germany OG managed clubs which had to sell their best players to the big boys. That didn’t stop him to collect points from them after they had stolen his best assets. Hopefully this will continue.

Last edited:
Olise-injury prone
Andersen-overrated
Guehi-overrated
Mateta-half season wonder

Flogging them all off while they’re still worth a lot is all part of the master plan to bring in cheaper and better I hope……but if not we’re doomed 😀

Last edited:
People keep talking about financial viability, but it's not a very viable model if you sell your best players and get relegated. If Andersen, Guehi and Ayew were to go then as it stands we are a significantly weaker team having already lost our best player (Olise). It is then about who the club bring in. Dougie has done a great job but let's not pretend every signing has been a hit, so there is a big element of risk. Obviously, we're all in the dark and Parish is now very experienced as a PL chairman so we have to trust he knows what he's doing, but from the outside, it does have the hallmarks of a fire sale rather than some coordinated plan which worries me that there may be bigger financial issues at the club.

Privately since the the end of last season I frequently urged supporters to temper their high expectations on account of the impending departures and the 'Mood music' amongst them has moved the dial from 'Optimism' to 'Pessimism'.
You do realise we have signed 3 full Internationals don’t you? One unlucky defeat and the doomsayer is in full fliw

Back