• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Hopes fading or Masterplan?

for context, Guehi had never played in the PL before signing for us. Walks straight into our first team in the prem.

Anderson had struggled to settle at any club, Holland, Italy, France, Prem. Pretty much a season everywhere and then moved on. Againt straight into our team as a mainstay.

Lacroix, has 4 full seasons in the German top flight, and CL experience. Mush better than either Anderson or Guehi when they signed.

Riad has come up in the Barca academy, and has had a full seas in La Liga

Then we know of Kamada's pedigree.

So you ask of the ambition, the ambition for me is clear to see. Selling soe of our players for great fees, and building a better team as a result of it.

Buying a 28year old Anderson or £30mill isn't ambitious. What transfer value will he have at the end of his contract. Zero. However, Riad might be a £50mil player in 5 years.

For me, it’s so clear to see that we are moving in the right direction.

The simple question is whether our team is stronger now or at the end of last season .
I don’t think anybody can dispute we are now weaker , and this is likely to be the case at the end of the window unless we pull a few last minute rabbits out of the hat.

You say Fulham’s purchase of Anderson isn’t ambitious but I would dispute that.
He immediately becomes Fulham’s best centre half , thereby improving their team.
They have also purchased Smith Rowe which is a real sign of intent.
Look at the activity of West Ham, Brighton and Villa too.
We’ve been left behind.

These players we are linked with may join and may turn into world beaters and I really hope that they do.
But it’s not a given.

The simple question is whether our team is stronger now or at the end of last season .
I don’t think anybody can dispute we are now weaker , and this is likely to be the case at the end of the window unless we pull a few last minute rabbits out of the hat.

You say Fulham’s purchase of Anderson isn’t ambitious but I would dispute that.
He immediately becomes Fulham’s best centre half , thereby improving their team.
They have also purchased Smith Rowe which is a real sign of intent.
Look at the activity of West Ham, Brighton and Villa too.
We’ve been left behind.

These players we are linked with may join and may turn into world beaters and I really hope that they do.
But it’s not a given.
I think Fulham are doing good business, but they haven't upgraded on the loss of Palhinha or Tosin, the former of which will be a big miss. They also lost Willian and Cordoba-Reid. I would say they're probably a bit weaker than they were last season in terms of strength, but a lot could depend on whether Smith-Rowe stays fit and whether they can sign another forward. I don't see them as being much stronger than us. Villa are in the CL so clearly are going to outspend us. West Ham also have deeper pockets. Brighton is perhaps the surprise. Their signings are always a bit leftfield, so who knows how they will turn out.

I think the worry is that Palace do not have a great record of getting deals over the line in the last week of the window. When Vieira came in that was probably our best-ever summer window when we signed Guehi, Andersen, Olise and Hughes, but that was an exception. Last summer's lack of activity was saved by a great January. Dougie is a premium truffle hunter, but finding them is one thing, digging them up and getting them in your pocket is another. For what it's worth I think Riad and Kamada will turn out to be good signings. I'm less sold on Sarr as I don't see him fitting the OG system, but who knows. I think we could all do with an out-of-the-blue spirit-lifting signing.
This is my take on it as well. I do not have the confidence in us getting the deals over the line before the window closes. In Olise, Andersen and Guehi that is 3 guaranteed starters (injury free) taken out the team and with Ayew its a great sub/starter taken out the picture.

It wouldn't be the first time, we hear SP say 'We tried to get deals over the line, but it's difficult to do at the end of the window'. For me there are 3 ways it could go:

1. We get the players in we need, it's a masterstroke and all the new players hit the ground running.
2. We get the players in we need, but it's a slow start and after being in the bottom third of the table (even relegation scrap) we then hit a run that gets us to mid table safety.
3. We can't get enough players in, have a weakened squad, knocked back further after a few injuries and we are struggling until the panic button is hit in January.

There could be the 4th, that something is going on behind the scenes and we are having to sell players off to raise money and there is no intention of us getting anyone else in.

Only time will tell. Personally, option 1 is unlikely, 2 and 3 are more likely. Whichever way round getting rid of a quarter of your squad in one transfer window (Olise, Andersen, Guehi, Ayew, Riedeweld and Tomkins) is a risk.

After the end of last season, I think many of us thought this was a chance to push on. Instead we are ripping up the squad right at the end of the transfer window and starting afresh. It's likely to be a much tougher league, with many mid table teams having a push to improve (with no guarantees they will).

At the moment I am more concerned about who else might be sold in the last week of the window because the money is right (big bid for Eze?) than I am confident of who we will get it. Millions made in transfer profits might look good, but it isn't if you are struggling.

For the fans who 'I trust Dougie and SP to do the right thing' I admire your confidence.

In conversations with a plethora of supporters, there is a great deal of disquiet apropos recent developments.

I suppose one could conclude that they witness some key players departing and replaced by those who many had not even heard of, hence the apprehension.There is the prevailing view that we are witnessing 'Revolution' not 'Evolution' and that the club will entertain offers in this window for ANY player, including Eze and Mateta.
Suffice to say, their reservoir of optimism has run dry and there is a sense of foreboding.

In conversations with a plethora of supporters, there is a great deal of disquiet apropos recent developments.

I suppose one could conclude that they witness some key players departing and replaced by those who many had not even heard of, hence the apprehension.There is the prevailing view that we are witnessing 'Revolution' not 'Evolution' and that the club will entertain offers in this window for ANY player, including Eze and Mateta.
Suffice to say, their reservoir of optimism has run dry and there is a sense of foreboding.
I do not think the club will take less than 100m for either of these players before this deadline

I do not think the club will take less than 100m for either of these players before this deadline
If we sell Eze, I could be tempted to walk away from football.

I'm not keen on being taken for a mug.

If we sign 2 centres, a winger and a left back, we will be OK. Another top player going, and you have to wonder if Parish has gone mad with new stand fever, or maybe he wants to buy Textor's shares.

The three in so far only covered the loss of three squad players. Losing Andersen, Ayew, now has us two light, if Guehi, goes it’s three we are short on. It looked at one point that we had now got a strong squad for the five sub age, right now who knows. If this is to be the case in a little over a weeks time the question for many is why ? After the early part of last season dont they ever learn.?

You're a far more confident man than I. Reckon £30m for Mateta and £65m for Eze and they could be off.

The last week has destroyed my confidence in the building the team. At the moment all I have in my head is the Orange Juice record 'Rip it up and start again'.

If we sign 2 centres, a winger and a left back, we will be OK. Another top player going, and you have to wonder if Parish has gone mad with new stand fever, or maybe he wants to buy Textor's shares.
Feel the same, I must say the money is one thing but for what? It would not surprise me if Textor, comes into this, little else makes total sense.

I don't think there are any suitors for Eze for this window willing to pay our asking price and no pressure on us to sell.

My concern is how flat we were against Brentford compared to the end of last season. It cant be all down to Olise.

Can it?

Take Hughes. A man reborn under Glasner to that modest offering on Sunday. The look of devastation on his face after he was substituted spoke of realization his starting days were very short lived.

Kamada similarly. Loads of promise; great pre-season; and then that. Whizz, bang, crunch. His face also told a story after he was hooked.

Riad didn't even start. I thought he was the Barca boy and the next big thing?

Did we see a hangover where 6 of our players were actively involved in summer tournaments morphing into a period of uncertainty and unsettlement with player departures and arrivals? Guehi, Wharton, Ayew, Eze, Anderson all aware of speculation at least; almost completed deals in two cases. They knew. Their team mates knew.

If that is it then the team will improve as the new team gels after things settle into a new groove next month. You can't usually tell how a season will pan until the clocks change.

As for the team, I suspect Guehi will leave and Lacroix will arrive and that will be our business.

Roll on October.

Feel the same, I must say the money is one thing but for what? It would not surprise me if Textor, comes into this, little else makes total sense.
Not quite sure how the share structure etc is within the club, but it has made me wonder, whether the large amounts of money coming in on transfers mean that the club could effectively do a purchase of own shares, where it buys Textor's shares back. The remaining shareholders then do not have to purchase his shares or find a buyer for them.

We will see in the next week, whether there are anymore outgoings, but it looks like this window is going to leave us with a huge transfer surplus.

I too am becoming very disillusioned with it all. To have had a run like the end of last season and then see a fire sale of players in the last week of the window, and then looking like we may be trying to dip into the bargain bin to see if we can find replacements just rips away any enthusiasm or hope that the club will ever improve.

I must say, without any criticism whatsoever (I do 'get it'), I am quite surprised by the amount of pessimism with some posts. I thought I was one of the worst! 🤣

I'm always nervous but I am still optimistic or just calm here. If the transfer window slams shut, a few more leave and nobody/only one comes in, and we are really looking poor, I'll start panicking. I'm not now though.

As it stands, I still think our starting XI has more quality in it than it has had in my (relatively speaking, short) lifetime. Glasner looks to be everything I wanted in a manager, the Transfer Window is still open and we've only played one game which we were cheated out of and looked a bit rusty.

I can't foresee any instance in which there will be a period where you have no concerns for a football club whatsoever, least of all Palace, so that'll always be there of course. I did feel as though talk of Europe was possible but not probable and I'm always mindful but not very worried about relegation. There'd have to be a number of months and another transfer window before I'd get even slightly agitated.

We won't lose Guehi, Munoz, Richards, Riad, Lerma, Doucoure, Wharton, Eze, JPM, Kamada, Sarr and any I've not remembered off the top of my head, all together in this window, so there are plenty of decent players there again with a good manager in place. Even Ward/Hughes/Clyne/Schlupp looked better in the last few games of last season. I'd be quite shocked if we didn't sign at least a couple more, exits or not.

I don't think it too 'wild' to envisage perhaps another player loss or two, probably a couple+ signings, a bit of a shaky start but with things starting to take shape closer to Christmas. Don't despair too much fellow Eagles, keep the faith, be loud, be proud, BE PALACE!!!!

Unlike many of you I haven't lost heart based on one match and a few exits plus bs gossip. Let's give OG some slack. He's clearly a good man manager, tactician and motivator. He knows the players much better than us, AND I reckon he knows who he wants to get in (as well as who he'd not be unhappy to see go). Let's see what happens by the 30th, and even then, as said earlier, don't panic if it takes time to get into the rhythm. SP must know how crucial keeping OG (and Dougie) is in terms of the club's future. That brings us of course to another important topic, ie who the new shareholders will be and how deep are their pockets.

Not quite sure how the share structure etc is within the club, but it has made me wonder, whether the large amounts of money coming in on transfers mean that the club could effectively do a purchase of own shares, where it buys Textor's shares back. The remaining shareholders then do not have to purchase his shares or find a buyer for them.

We will see in the next week, whether there are anymore outgoings, but it looks like this window is going to leave us with a huge transfer surplus.

I too am becoming very disillusioned with it all. To have had a run like the end of last season and then see a fire sale of players in the last week of the window, and then looking like we may be trying to dip into the bargain bin to see if we can find replacements just rips away any enthusiasm or hope that the club will ever improve.

This sums up the mindset of supporters with whom I have either engaged in conversation or left me messages.Quite a 'Whinge fest' with a prevalence of salty language.I was not in total agreement with some of the minutiae of their diatribes.

I must say, without any criticism whatsoever (I do 'get it'), I am quite surprised by the amount of pessimism with some posts. I thought I was one of the worst! 🤣

I'm always nervous but I am still optimistic or just calm here. If the transfer window slams shut, a few more leave and nobody/only one comes in, and we are really looking poor, I'll start panicking. I'm not now though.

As it stands, I still think our starting XI has more quality in it than it has had in my (relatively speaking, short) lifetime. Glasner looks to be everything I wanted in a manager, the Transfer Window is still open and we've only played one game which we were cheated out of and looked a bit rusty.

I can't foresee any instance in which there will be a period where you have no concerns for a football club whatsoever, least of all Palace, so that'll always be there of course. I did feel as though talk of Europe was possible but not probable and I'm always mindful but not very worried about relegation. There'd have to be a number of months and another transfer window before I'd get even slightly agitated.

We won't lose Guehi, Munoz, Richards, Riad, Lerma, Doucoure, Wharton, Eze, JPM, Kamada, Sarr and any I've not remembered off the top of my head, all together in this window, so there are plenty of decent players there again with a good manager in place. Even Ward/Hughes/Clyne/Schlupp looked better in the last few games of last season. I'd be quite shocked if we didn't sign at least a couple more, exits or not.

I don't think it too 'wild' to envisage perhaps another player loss or two, probably a couple+ signings, a bit of a shaky start but with things starting to take shape closer to Christmas. Don't despair too much fellow Eagles, keep the faith, be loud, be proud, BE PALACE!!!!
Some good points and a level headed view. Sadly it’s the hope that kills you, we should be used to that after many false dawns but like a kid gazing at a toy in the shop window that he knows his parents can’t afford, we had the promised land paraded to us at the end of last season

If you think about it clearly, we have only sold Andersen and Ayew, Olise wasn't sold, we just couldn't stop him Leaving, so thinking clearly, we have replaced Andersen with Riad, and Olise with Kamada and Sarr, whether they are good enough time will tell, we are also 60k up on the deals, i expect Guehi to leave and Lacroix to join, so 100k up on the deal, i also expect Sterling to sign on loan, we saved 170k a week on Jairo, Tomkins, Ayew and Ferguson.

If you think about it clearly, we have only sold Andersen and Ayew, Olise wasn't sold, we just couldn't stop him Leaving, so thinking clearly, we have replaced Andersen with Riad, and Olise with Kamada and Sarr, whether they are good enough time will tell, we are also 60k up on the deals, i expect Guehi to leave and Lacroix to join, so 100k up on the deal, i also expect Sterling to sign on loan, we saved 170k a week on Jairo, Tomkins, Ayew and Ferguson.
You leave out Riedwald and Tompkins, both squad members, both used last season. Counting Olise,one wide player one central defender, one mid fielder, out same positions in. Any going now need replacing if we are going to have a strong squad.

Only £60,000 up? What have you done with the rest Lanzo?
😉

Firstly I would trust DF and Glasner over any fan, when it comes to players signed. Secondly if we are prepared to entertain any offers for all our players, why is Guehi still here? £8m for Ayew and £30m for Andersen were no brainers.
Having said that I do get peed off with a lot of our business being done so late

Back