• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

CPFC v Leicester Match Thread

Writing this back from the game before reading any other views...Today's performance was unbelievably full of errors, and somehow lacked zip and energy. There was also a sense of a team which isn't yet used to playing together. But it wasn't all bad.

One key problem was the importance of the wing backs in this system, and neither had a good day. Munoz, who has been a fantastic signing, looked knackered from the start after his return from South America, and every time he had space out wide, turned back inside and passed backwards. Easily the least influential game I have seen him play since his arrival. Mitchell got into lots of good positions but I thought was technically quite poor, with disappointing crosses, missed passes, and a volleyed shot of a standard I might have expected from myself. There was generally a real lack of off-the-ball movement, so passing options were limited when we were in possession. Most players had a real mixed bag of an afternoon. Guehi was class for the most part but made crucial errors, Wharton played some great passes but also gave the ball away more than I've seen before, and Ebs did a few good things but had far too little influence for his ability. I was really disappointed to see Doucoure injured again as I thought he was starting to look like his old self, but thought Hughes did very well in the second half.

Of the new signings I though Nketiah played well, but clearly needs time to develop better understanding with the rest of the team. Lacroix did okay for his debut, some good things but again a critical error, though my immediate sense is that he is a downgrade on Andersen. Thumbs up for Sarr who made a difference and won the penalty, and I thought Kamada did okay. However, we have lost a world-class player in Olise, and inevitably replaced with a number of useful ones, giving us a stronger squad but a weaker first team.

Great spirit to get a result from 2-0 down, and I do think we suffered much more than Leicester from some jaded post international performances, particularly Munoz and Ebs, so I think we will improve. Not entirely happy but it wasn't a disaster.

Correct, Glasners formation doesn't fit the players, keeper, 3 CDs, 2 DWBs and 2 DM players, that's 8 of the 11, who will be lucky to get 10 goals between them, leaving 3 attacking players to get 15 each, the balance is wrong, we need a formation that includes, Nketiah, Mateta, Eze and Sarr, we have excellent players, it is getting the balance right, i don't understand why Richards didn't play Infront of an a average FB, out of position, and Guehi isn't suited to the Andersen role.
Richards played for the USA on Wednesday and then flew back. I think it was necessary to rest him today.

I predicted that honours would be even at the end of the game and for once I was correct.
Key assets have departed and the new players will take time to settle in and gel, accordingly in the short term performances and results might be a tad disappointing.

Last edited:
Nope.. Poor pass from Mateta left Wharton stretching for the ball. Poor from Guehi as you cannot let Vardy roll off your shoulder like that with the pace he has and poor from Henderson. Hesitated too much.
This ^^^ in a nutshell!

Hopefully the draw will boost confidence.

We look very far from the finished article but though.

Mitchell looked as though he was dragged out of bed to play today,
Mitchell was shocking, gave the ball away so much (3 times within 30 seconds at the beginning of the second half) and also heavily culpable for Leicesters second goal. I appreciate he laid the ball across for Mateta’s first but other than that his delivery was woeful.

Mitchell was shocking, gave the ball away so much (3 times within 30 seconds at the beginning of the second half) and also heavily culpable for Leicesters second goal. I appreciate he laid the ball across for Mateta’s first but other than that his delivery was woeful.

Yeah we defo needed someone who can challenge him for LWB position

I predicted that honours would be even at the end of the game and for once I was correct.
Key assets have departed and the new players will take time to settle in and gel, accordingly in the short term performances and results might be a tad disappointing.
We are missing two of our key creative weapons from last season - Anderson's passing from the back which launched so many of our moves and Olise's goals and assists from the right side.

Guehi hasn't got Anderson's passing range and looks less comfortable in the centre of a back 3.
In fact we seem to have Riad,Guehi and Richards who all seem more suited the left sided position in the back 3.
It may be that Lacroix is earmarked for the central position eventually but it's too early to assess this.

The loss of Olise is even more difficult to negotiate.
His absence seems to have a negative impact on Eze's play, possibly because the opposition can focus more on Eze without Olise to worry about.

On the positive front we've been close in every game this season, haven't been dominated and could easily have another few points on the board.

Nearly every goal has been conceded down our left hand side on the counter where large gaps can appear.

This needs to be rectified as it's not a coincidence, and we have a vulnerability that the opposition can exploit when our midfield is bypassed.

A bit sloppy yesterday from front to back and some of the players looked well off the pace. One positive was Eddy Nketiah, he is lightening in the box, there was one run and collection he made, Edouard would not have even attempted to get to. Overall disappointed, but given time the team will settle.

The international break didn’t do us any favours whatsoever, oh I forgot Will Hughes was great when called upon and pulled the strings….

Early season stuff. Villa, Man City, Liverpool, Brighton, and Palace all expected to batter the oppo. 2 fought back to win by a single goal, 2 scraped a draw and one title contender lost at home.

Was there a blue moon last night, Willo? 😉

AS for the rest of your post, you are right, it will take time for the new players to gel. Also, Glasner's teams have been known to take time to gel at the beginning of a new season. I saw enough in our disjointed display to believe we'll be fine this season. I thought Nketiah looked lively and despite his poor pass to Wharton that led to their first goal, I thought Mateta put himself about well and kept their defenders busy and his first was a typical striker's goal.

It's the defence that needs to get its act together - we've been conceding far too easily so far this season, especially after losing the ball in transition..

Hi all

I’ve had an absolute disaster so hoping someone can help me please!

Bought a programme from Leicester game but left it on the train by accident

My dad has all home programmes since 1955 so I’m obviously devastated by my stupidity

Does anyone have a programme they are willing to part with please?

Happy to pay or discuss a charity donation or anything you think of

Thanks very much and have a good day

Keir

Hi all

My dad has all home programmes since 1955 so I’m obviously devastated by my stupidity

Keir
If you email the club shop they may have one which you could pick up on your next trip to Selhurst.

Hi all

Keir
Get the Home secretary on the case 🤔

Too many players were a bit below their best. As others have said, it will take time for new partnerships to gel. On the plus side I thought Nketiah had a decent debut, Mateta didn’t leave his scoring boots in Paris and Hughes and Sarr did well when they came on.

AS for the rest of your post, you are right, it will take time for the new players to gel. Also, Glasner's teams have been known to take time to gel at the beginning of a new season. I saw enough in our disjointed display to believe we'll be fine this season. I thought Nketiah looked lively and despite his poor pass to Wharton that led to their first goal, I thought Mateta put himself about well and kept their defenders busy and his first was a typical striker's goal.

It's the defence that needs to get its act together - we've been conceding far too easily so far this season, especially after losing the ball in transition..

We are exceedingly susceptible in transition when teams counter-attack at pace and perhaps this 'Achilles heal' can be attributable to general organisation rather than solely the fault of the defence.

To my eyes I thought that was Mateta who played a poor ball to Wharton.

Seemed a very disappointing display at selhurst yesterday and on reflection......Wharton looks knackered, caught in possession even missing passes.....bad day at office for Guehi and Eze and Munoz was also knackered....bad news to see Dacoure injured again he was looking back towards his best.....but on the other hand....Nketiah, Saar and Lecroix look very good additions....Kamada looked like he is coping w pace and physicality better when he came on.....team worked for each other even when 0-2 down......Mitchell is still not the best but improving (great cross for JP's first goal)....lots of room for optimism as they get to know each other better over the season....shame about Henderson and that first goal....looked to me like he bottled diving at Vardis feet to claim a ball that was 70:30 his....onwards to Loftus Road and welcome Ten Haag under performers . I am expecting a good week ahead COYP!

Back