• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

CPFC v Leicester Match Thread

The usual frothing from MoD about the VAR call that ruled Mateta onside. Shearer et al were looking at Mateta and the Leicester defenders around him to question the call. Mateta was ahead of them - but he was onside because of the Leicester No 2 who tried to block Mitchell's cross. That player had his leg outstretched which is what put Mateta onside. It was hard to see from the angle shown on MoD. I think it would have been clear if the VAR camera was inline with the players. But once again Shearer showed he is not the brightest bulb...etc
Even during the live broadcast, I immediately thought to myself that Mateta was most likely onside due to the defender's outstretched foot. I feared that VAR would no longer review the wrong offside decision or would only look at the position of the defenders in the centre.

Can someone tell me what formation we played out the last twenty minutes with?
As I saw it we had Guehi and Lacroix at the back while most of the rest of them were pushing up looking for the goals, which we found. It all started looking pretty ragged from a formation point of view, but it worked whatever we were doing.
Or was I mis reading it?
I dont think there was a formation at the end. Just get as many attacking players on the pitch!

Did well to get a draw after letting them have two easy goals.
My worry is that Henderson is going to cost us this season.
He doesn't control his area and doesn't appear to have the courage to get in amongst it.
More bravery would have denied Vardy a goal.
We sold the wrong keeper!

It was a good fight back but it has been a disappointing start to what has been a relatively easy run of fixtures. So far on xG, none of our results have reflected the games. The first two games should have been draws, a loss to Chelsea would have been fair as would a win yesterday
We really need to be in a better situation by the next international break to cement the usual 10-15th place. I think the main thing we have to look forward to is decent cup runs. We are going to be selling players and bedding in new ones for the forseeable future and will need the revenues from the new stand and some luck to ever challenge for Europe

Did well to get a draw after letting them have two easy goals.
My worry is that Henderson is going to cost us this season.
He doesn't control his area and doesn't appear to have the courage to get in amongst it.
More bravery would have denied Vardy a goal.
We sold the wrong keeper!
I’m not sure either Henderson or Johnstone is great at commanding their area… which is probably why Pickford is still England’s number one.

Henderson is a decent shot stopper to be fair but there don’t seem to be many keepers in the PL who are confident in coming off their line to catch crosses. The Spurs keeper today was a prime example.

Vicario is extremely confident with the ball at his feet.He made the 7th most accurate long ball passes in the whole of 'Seria A' the season before last.
Such is the modern-day goalkeeper and a far cry from those of yesteryear who picked up the ball from a back pass and gave it a thwack down the field.

I’m not sure either Henderson or Johnstone is great at commanding their area… which is probably why Pickford is still England’s number one.
Johnstone got caught hanging onto the ball too long against Newcastle today. Unlike his error for us AGAINST Wolves the season before last, it didn't cost Wolves a goal. He does seem to want too much time when he's on the ball.

Henderson is a decent shot stopper to be fair but there don’t seem to be many keepers in the PL who are confident in coming off their line to catch crosses. The Spurs keeper today was a prime example.
I honestly believe todays goalkeepers are told by the coaches NOT to come for crosses and leave it to the defenders . The oldies among us may be shaking our heads but the modern football moves around so much in the air (along with opponents being more cute with blocking ) that the percentages say stay on your line .
I was one that preferred Johnstone but he is now no longer at the club ,Henderson is our goalkeeper and we should all be giving him our full support . I don't think 'we sold the wrong keeper' every time he makes an error helps anyone .

we take a point and move one, however, both goals conceded were really poor.

For the first after we lost the ball disappointed Guehi was beaten so easily despite have a good yard head start and then Henderson was woeful - came out far too quickly and made it easy for Vardy.

For the second i'm surprised Clyne has avoided much criticism. Yes Lacroix could have done better and then Mitchell with the cross, but Clyne can't just knee it straight to a Leicester player in the box. So poor.

On the whole the 3 man defence has looked shaky so far this season regardless of who has played. Surely Lacroix should be playing in the centre of 3, however, he may have had limited training as he joined us with a minor injury, and Guehi doesn't look suited to that central role.

We have looked vulnerable when teams counter attack down the flanks and it is clearly an area teams are focusing on.

Work for OG to do

we take a point and move one, however, both goals conceded were really poor.

For the first after we lost the ball disappointed Guehi was beaten so easily despite have a good yard head start and then Henderson was woeful - came out far too quickly and made it easy for Vardy.

For the second i'm surprised Clyne has avoided much criticism. Yes Lacroix could have done better and then Mitchell with the cross, but Clyne can't just knee it straight to a Leicester player in the box. So poor.

On the whole the 3 man defence has looked shaky so far this season regardless of who has played. Surely Lacroix should be playing in the centre of 3, however, he may have had limited training as he joined us with a minor injury, and Guehi doesn't look suited to that central role.

We have looked vulnerable when teams counter attack down the flanks and it is clearly an area teams are focusing on.

Work for OG to do
In basics you are correct. Nearly all our goals conceded this season have been defensive errors. Sloppy.
We also fluff too many easy chances. Lack decision making and composure.
Glasner really needs to get into these players.

I only saw the second half of this game as I was travelling, but we look all over the place defensively. Their second goal was a joke. We are too vulnerable to the counter and when we have the ball our passing is not good enough. There are also too many balls just knocked into the box in hope.

In my opinion, he needs to drop Kamada to the bench and start with Sarr. Kamada is a replacement for Eze. Why he is playing them both, I do not know.

When we actually have a squad of fit players, we might do better, but it seems like the loss of Olise, Andersen and Ayew and the effect of closed season competitions and transfer speculation has taken its toll. Our new players still need to gel and must get into top gear quick or we will have a very tough slog at the bottom.

All very disappointing so far, but not that surprising.

I only saw the second half of this game as I was travelling, but we look all over the place defensively. Their second goal was a joke. We are too vulnerable to the counter and when we have the ball our passing is not good enough. There are also too many balls just knocked into the box in hope.

In my opinion, he needs to drop Kamada to the bench and start with Sarr. Kamada is a replacement for Eze. Why he is playing them both, I do not know.

When we actually have a squad of fit players, we might do better, but it seems like the loss of Olise, Andersen and Ayew and the effect of closed season competitions and transfer speculation has taken its toll. Our new players still need to gel and must get into top gear quick or we will have a very tough slog at the bottom.

All very disappointing so far, but not that surprising.
Kamada did start on the bench and came on to good effect with Eze.

Otherwise, agree. However, I am more glass half full on this. I think we will muddle along till the clocks change and the winter quilt goes on in October. After that things will start to look better.

I still see us top half come May with room to spare.

Kamada did start on the bench and came on to good effect with Eze.

Otherwise, agree. However, I am more glass half full on this. I think we will muddle along till the clocks change and the winter quilt goes on in October. After that things will start to look better.

I still see us top half come May with room to spare.
I'm still in the same place.

Think we have a better squad than last year, but its going to take a little time for this team to bed in. We've looked good in periods of all games, just a case of playing well over a whole game. Or not being 2 down before we start playing.

Hopefully Richards and Chalobah will add some more stability at the back.

Back