• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

CPFC v Leicester Match Thread

It was indeed Mateta who played the ball back to Wharton.

Apropos the goal, I am of the opinion that once Vardy had rounded Henderson, Guehi should have made a strident effort to run towards the goal in order to block the shot. I am reminded of the term 'Busting a gut'.
Yep, should have taken the 65m, if he had wanted to go. 😎

It was indeed Mateta who played the ball back to Wharton.

Apropos the goal, I am of the opinion that once Vardy had rounded Henderson, Guehi should have made a strident effort to run towards the goal in order to block the shot. I am reminded of the term 'Busting a gut'.
I think the issue is that Guehi fully expected Henderson to come for the ball - which he started to - and at that moment Guehi's pace slowed.

Poor from both of them.

The usual frothing from MoD about the VAR call that ruled Mateta onside. Shearer et al were looking at Mateta and the Leicester defenders around him to question the call. Mateta was ahead of them - but he was onside because of the Leicester No 2 who tried to block Mitchell's cross. That player had his leg outstretched which is what put Mateta onside. It was hard to see from the angle shown on MoD. I think it would have been clear if the VAR camera was inline with the players. But once again Shearer showed he is not the brightest bulb...etc

The usual frothing from MoD about the VAR call that ruled Mateta onside. Shearer et al were looking at Mateta and the Leicester defenders around him to question the call. Mateta was ahead of them - but he was onside because of the Leicester No 2 who tried to block Mitchell's cross. That player had his leg outstretched which is what put Mateta onside. It was hard to see from the angle shown on MoD. I think it would have been clear if the VAR camera was inline with the players. But once again Shearer showed he is not the brightest bulb...etc
Indeed ,it was obvious who VAR was looking at though their screen shots didn't help .

We were sloppy at back today we were lucky only to concede two . Up the other end we failed to find the space and didn't really trouble the goalkeeper . It was a 2-2 that looked like a 0-0 .

Must be better ,COYP .

Can someone tell me what formation we played out the last twenty minutes with?
As I saw it we had Guehi and Lacroix at the back while most of the rest of them were pushing up looking for the goals, which we found. It all started looking pretty ragged from a formation point of view, but it worked whatever we were doing.
Or was I mis reading it?

From what they showed Mateta looked pretty subdued as though he thought he was offside but most importantly the VAR check prevented him from doing his flag kicking routine to give an indication of how his contract negotiations are going and after the penalty he was eager to get on with the game.

Can someone tell me what formation we played out the last twenty minutes with?
As I saw it we had Guehi and Lacroix at the back while most of the rest of them were pushing up looking for the goals, which we found. It all started looking pretty ragged from a formation point of view, but it worked whatever we were doing.
Or was I mis reading it?
To put numbers on it seems hard but I would think it looked alittle lika 2-4-4 or maybe 3-3-4.
Since Leicester probably played 8-1-1 if put in numbers so. It's nice to see trying to go for it since Roy or other people would still do probable 4-2-4 at the most trying to chase the game.

I thought it might have been that Mateta was level with or behind the pass. You're only offside if the ball is passed forward. Probably a little complicated for football pundits. However, didn't watch Match of the Day and won't be watching Refwatch on Monday for obvious reasons.

Definitely a side that needs game time to develop a better understanding. Our back 3 last year was led by Anderson. Guehi followed his lead as did Richards when he came in, and Clyne and Wardie are seasoned pros who know what to do. I don’t see Guehi as a leader unless he finds his voice. Lacroix might be better suited in the middle but time will tell.
A similar story up front where Mateta, Nketiah and Eze will take time to understand each other’s runs. Nketiah looks sharp and the front two partnership looks promising.
Our midfield had a lot of possession yesterday and largely controlled the game as expected without creating a lot against an organised Leicester defence. That, combined with a below average performance from our wing backs, limited our opportunities until the introduction of Sarr.
All that said, we could have scored more and should have beaten Leicester. Enough positives to believe we will get better as the season progresses.

I think the issue is that Guehi fully expected Henderson to come for the ball - which he started to - and at that moment Guehi's pace slowed.

Poor from both of them.
A number of errors all round starting with Mateta’s pass to Wharton. Poor defending by Guehi, poor communication between him and Henderson, hesitation by Henderson.

Considering we dominated possession and scored two goals with a jet-lagged side who aren't used to each other and might not even be our best starting eleven when there's been time to sort them out a bit, I thought we didn't do badly. Sloppy mistakes in defence were singled out in OG's comments on pre-season and they cost us and we still need to tighten up. The worst thing that happened potentially is Doucoure picking up an injury. There's lots to work on but that was expected.

Once Oliver G came under even more pressure to score goals to avoid a defeat he reverted to 4-4-2 and abandoned his starting line-up which included five defenders (half the outfield) in a home game against Leicester City.
It begs the question: 'If our manger thinks 4-4-2 is a far more attacking formation that is more likely to result in goals, why didn't he start with it?'

Hi all

I’ve had an absolute disaster so hoping someone can help me please!

Bought a programme from Leicester game but left it on the train by accident

My dad has all home programmes since 1955 so I’m obviously devastated by my stupidity

Does anyone have a programme they are willing to part with please?

Happy to pay or discuss a charity donation or anything you think of

Thanks very much and have a good day

Keir
The club normally has loads lying around. They give them away in corporate and a lot of people just leave them there on the tables. I’m sure the club will help you out if you give them a call.

I thought it might have been that Mateta was level with or behind the pass. You're only offside if the ball is passed forward. Probably a little complicated for football pundits. However, didn't watch Match of the Day and won't be watching Refwatch on Monday for obvious reasons.
Just watch it back and the pundits make complete idiots of themselves with what they were saying about our first goal . The drawing of the lines , his head was in the wrong place and so forth . Ending with lineker saying they should (I appreciate he is Leicester ) go with the linesman's decision . LOL , just have a look where the lino is , at least 5 yards behind play , WTF was he doing even putting his flag up . A quick recap saw the lino behind play on many occasions , have they become too reliant on VAR ?

Back