• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Brentford v Crystal Palace match thread

I didn't recognise today as a Glasner team. After the Nantes friendly I was not optimistic and the result confirmed my reservations.
We had lots of possession but Brentford managed to get the ball in attacking formations and our passing was reminiscent of Hodgson's time. What was the point of punting the ball long to Mateta/Edouard/Ayew? I thought we had more skill than that. Henderson guilty nearly every time. Munoz is a great attacking defender but leaves plenty to be desired in defending. I have concerns about our defence and if a £70 million offer materialises for Guehi we must sell and use the proceeds to find another full-back (Wan Bissaka was an opportunity lost for £15 million) and centre back. I thought Richards has a very off day but Mitchell was solid.
Hughes puts in a stint but is not creative and concedes fouls - although he was not guilty in causing Eze's brilliant goal to be chalked off. The loss of Olise is marked as he was the only player able to hold the ball. Wharton had some errant passes but his quality is obvious. Mateta got no service and Sarr came on too late and only had a few touches. Munoz must learn to work with him.

Over the years we have relied on one talisman to see us through. It was Zaha and last year it was Olise. Both are gone and Glasner will have to work out a Plan B to replace them. Overall today we lacked skill and were shown up by moderate opposition and a card-happy and inexperienced ref.

A shocking decision from the referee, for which he had no choice but to apologise after the game. It's a good job these things always balance themselves out over the course of the season...

I really expected a better result today, even before the news emerged about Ivan Toney's absence. It feels like an opportunity missed, but the season's only 90 minutes old. Spilt milk, we move on.

Just started a post match videos I’m putting up on YouTube, regarding games this season, if anyone got free time could they possibly give it a view and lemme know if I missed out on anything or even out any input possibly please. Thanks

The thumbnail done me dirty 😂

Has anyone seen an official picture of the Edouard offside yet?

Feels more than strange this hasn’t been made available? (Happy to pipe down if it has!)

Whether it proves to be offside or not, it was so close that the linesman should have left the flag down and let VAR sort it out. That was the second egregious error made by humans who are supposed to defer to the system when there's a question.

I’ve seen a comment elsewhere that we looked strong down the right during our excellent run last season with Clyne , Munoz and Olise linking up very well.

This was missing today.

In that good spell Clyne even went on ‘underlapping’ as well as overlapping runs and Munoz looked comfortable with Clyne behind him as Clyne is experienced to cover the right back position when Munoz ventured forward.

I’m not sure Richards looks as comfortable in this position on the right side.

He was excellent on the left of a back 3 because Mitchell is far more defensively orientated than Munoz so the same defending out wide wasn’t expected of Richards.
Richards is the future (rather than Clyne) in team terms, but I think Clyne may be better suited to the right side of the back 3 position if we want to see the best of Munoz for the time being.

I’ve seen a comment elsewhere that we looked strong down the right during our excellent run last season with Clyne , Munoz and Olise linking up very well.

This was missing today.

In that good spell Clyne even went on ‘underlapping’ as well as overlapping runs and Munoz looked comfortable with Clyne behind him as Clyne is experienced to cover the right back position when Munoz ventured forward.

I’m not sure Richards looks as comfortable in this position on the right side.

He was excellent on the left of a back 3 because Mitchell is far more defensively orientated than Munoz so the same defending out wide wasn’t expected of Richards.
Richards is the future (rather than Clyne) in team terms, but I think Clyne may be better suited to the right side of the back 3 position if we want to see the best of Munoz for the time being.
I think you're right, Clyne is much better than Richards in that position. In my view Richards is not a Premier League player at all.

I think it's too early to panic or point fingers. We were robbed, by poor decisions and on balance were the better team. Looking at out lineup, 8 of the starting 11 were involved in international comps over the summer, so it'll take a couple of games to get settled back into the swing of thing. Plus we have to adjust to life without Olise.

If the ref didn't chalk off our first goal, Brentford would not have been in it. We were dominating at that point and they were not really a threat. Going a goal down I think we would've won the game. To then chalk off the 2nd goal when it looked onside/tight really sucked the wind out of the sails and from then on I knew we'd lose.

Still we're above the relegation zone, if only on goal difference, so let's string a few wins together and launch our season!

COYP!!

So the effing ref coughs to making a blatant mistake. He admitted to blowing his whistle too early but it wasn't a foul by Hughes anyway. It was standard pushing and shoving and Hughes was more fouled than fouled. So the effing ref, who was crap throughout, wiped off a sensational goal and cost us the match. Send him back to the National League

With respect, the referee was not making his Premier League debut, he refereed a clutch of PL games last campaign.

Was just going by what was said on sky.

Ref has since apologised and acknowledged he should not have blown for Eze free kick goal. Explained by Eze himself post match.

I thought we deserved to at least draw. Ref got lots wrong...only one of his errors were in our favour. Brentford are a good side , well organised and full of energy. We were lacking the accuracy that we had at the end of last season . Very frustrating given our available squad but that's sport. Next.

I feel like a Wilf, “why us” whinging moment after watching that match. Lots of good stuff, some poor stuff, but ultimately defeated by influences out of our control ie the ref,

It’s so disappointing when you wait the entire summer for a new season to start only to be lumbered by the same old shite that afflicted the league for the previous season.

Still, I think there was enough shown to say we are going to bloody plenty of noses this season and will be comfortably mid table without providing the excitement of a top 8 league position, unless of course we buy some more attacking fire power. We all know at Palace though that we will always be a couple of players short of being a really decent side.

Back