• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Brentford v Crystal Palace match thread

Indeed the protocol say's (rightly ) the whistle went so they could do nothing about the 'goal' . The clear and obvious error though could have at least been recognised though with VAR suggesting a re-take of the free kick . It wouldn't have given us our goal back but at least some instant verification that the ref got it wrong . Would also have meant the Brentford counter would not have happened for the first goal while our players were switched off .

We were the better side yesterday and lost which always leaves a sense of bad feeling and a sense of injustice when things have gone against us . We still had plenty of time and opportunity to turn it around as the decent sides do which was the biggest worry for me .
Hopefully that puts paid to players who ended last season well keeping their place and our best side will take to the pitch v the spammers .
I personally think if the ref blew (incorrectly) for a foul by Hughes that incident should have been looked at and not only would VAR have said it wasn't a foul, but the guy was wrapped around Hughes with both arms so surely he committed a foul on Hughes in the box. Yes it would have been a soft penalty but difficult to argue it wasn't a foul.

It appears VAR looked for an excuse not to get involved. Found it immediately and then sat on their hands

I personally think if the ref blew (incorrectly) for a foul by Hughes that incident should have been looked at and not only would VAR have said it wasn't a foul, but the guy was wrapped around Hughes with both arms so surely he committed a foul on Hughes in the box. Yes it would have been a soft penalty but difficult to argue it wasn't a foul.

It appears VAR looked for an excuse not to get involved. Found it immediately and then sat on their hands

According to the protocol once the referee had blown his whistle before the ball entered the net that eliminated VAR from the equation. The VAR was not looking for an excuse not to intervene.

In terms of the incident in the area, I believe the referee might have been influenced by the fact that Collins ended on the pitch and Hughes was on his feet.

I witnessed absolutely nothing which justified a penalty being awarded.

Last edited:
According to the protocol once the referee had blown his whistle before the ball entered the net that eliminated VAR from the equation. The VAR was not looking for an excuse not to intervene.

In terms of the incident in the area, I believe the referee might have been influenced by the fact that Collins ended on the pitch and Hughes was on his feet.

Or indeed, a free kick !

That's the crux of it for me.

The mistake is the fact that the ref so eagerly blew his whistle, which he shouldn't be doing in a day and age of VAR. That stance is further emphasised by the fact that outside of my personal opinion and bias, it seems to be universally recognised that it was not a foul. I was genuinely shocked by how quickly and emphatically the pundits on Sky were willing to declare that opinion.

The only possible conclusion there is to say that the referee is at fault, which he has admitted himself. The determination of the referee's fitness to continue in the PL lies elsewhere but I can conclude that we were the victim of unfit refereeing on the day and it's fair to suggest this played a huge part in us losing a game where we were the better team.

My only hope now is for a reaction at Selhurst on Saturday, That should tell us more about where we are at. I also still think that OG potentially got a few things wrong in his preparation for playing Brentford. I hope that too is resolved in this preparation for WHU and the players set out to restore justice for themselves. COYP.

The defeat is still too recent and raw so don’t want to analyse the game but just wanted to say the referee’s performance was atrocious and most likely cost us the win. His total f*** up for the Eze free kick was a disgrace PLUS the free kick given against Hughes wasn’t even a foul! You can see the Brentford player bear hugging and wrestling Hughes and he then trips himself up. Secondly the Guehi yellow card was shocking, it wasn’t even a foul let alone a booking. And finally the disallowed Edouard goal was dismissed far too quickly for it to have been looked at properly. It was SO tight it could easily have been onside when the ball was played and I’m still amazed it wasn’t looked at and overturned.
I thought all var offside reviews were supposed to be televised, this one wasn’t, why? Seemed bizarre at the time as it must have been very close

I disagree and i think you may be getting the two issues confused.

Due to the ref blowing his whistle it eliminated VAR from reviewing the goal.

However, he blew the whistle (incorrectly) for a foul and so technically VAR could have looked at that incident.

The fact they didn't speaks volumes.

If they said they had looked at the incident and felt no further action was required i could have understood things.

I disagree and i think you may be getting the two issues confused.

Due to the ref blowing his whistle it eliminated VAR from reviewing the goal.

However, he blew the whistle (incorrectly) for a foul and so technically VAR could have looked at that incident.

The fact they didn't speaks volumes.

If they said they had looked at the incident and felt no further action was required i could have understood things.
VAR cannot intervene in a 'foul'.

VAR cannot intervene in a 'foul'.
of course they can. It will come under a subjective decision

• Subjective decisions
    The VAR can recommend that the referee review a subjective decision, such as whether a foul was committed or if a red card is warranted. The referee can then go to the pitchside monitor (RRA) to review the evidence and either stand by their original decision or change it.

of course they can. It will come under a subjective decision

• Subjective decisions
    The VAR can recommend that the referee review a subjective decision, such as whether a foul was committed or if a red card is warranted. The referee can then go to the pitchside monitor (RRA) to review the evidence and either stand by their original decision or change it.

You need to read up on the new directives which include the directive of 'Referees Call' & as a UEFA/FA assessor, that, is what I look for.

I'd have Clyne as right centre half – much better than Richards.
I would put Richard’s back on the left where he excelled last season, sell Geuhi and use part of the money on a right sided defender. Clyne or Lerma did a great job there and we are yet to see Riad? Take Newcastle’s last offer if they aren’t coming back and use part of that money. Geuhi and Richard’s don’t work in my opinion

I would put Richard’s back on the left where he excelled last season, sell Geuhi and use part of the money on a right sided defender. Clyne or Lerma did a great job there and we are yet to see Riad? Take Newcastle’s last offer if they aren’t coming back and use part of that money. Geuhi and Richard’s don’t work in my opinion

I was thinking this myself. Not sure if the money is right but if it were it may be the way to go, with the proviso that Andersen stays. We can't afford both of them going. We may just be waiting for the last moment to let Guehi go to make sure we don't lose both but that's just speculation.

Back