• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Brentford v Crystal Palace match thread

The Hughes ‘foul’ looked like he was fouled in the penalty area. So why was VAR not called in to review a penalty decision? A fairer outcome would have been for the goal to be disallowed but a penalty awarded.

Everyone with whom I have engaged in conversation about the incident were unanimous in their thinking that Hughes committed no foul whatsoever.
What might have influenced the referee's decision was that Collins ended up on the floor whilst Hughes was on his feet.

The Hughes ‘foul’ looked like he was fouled in the penalty area. So why was VAR not called in to review a penalty decision? A fairer outcome would have been for the goal to be disallowed but a penalty awarded.
Exactly my thoughts too maddog.

It is just one game but it now looks like a very long hard season for us,Brentford are average at best,West Ham followed by Chelsea will be more difficult.😒

Everyone with whom I have engaged in conversation about the incident were unanimous in their thinking that Hughes committed no foul whatsoever.
What might have influenced the referee's decision was that Collins ended up on the floor whilst Hughes was on his feet.
Not only did the ref make a mistake blowing for a foul he also made the mistake in blowing too soon resulting in our goal not being allowed. Awful referring as well as terrible VAR Rules in not being able to allow the goal - Grrrr!

Not only did the ref make a mistake blowing for a foul he also made the mistake in blowing too soon resulting in our goal not being allowed. Awful referring as well as terrible VAR Rules in not being able to allow the goal - Grrrr!
And Eze wont be able to catch keepers out again with a similar free kick, all keepers now know what he can do.

a disappointing result against a pretty average, but hardworking side.

As for the 1st goal they scored they exploited the gap behind the wing backs quite well and that is something we will need to improve on and fast.

Some of our players looked a little off which is not surprising considering 7 have barely had a pre season.

In terms of the Eze 'no' goal clearly it was a terrible mistake and poor Hughes was just standing there whilst the defender wrapped himself around him and then fell over. As a small club this will get pushed under the carpet (see Wolves last season when they had loads of dodgy decisions) but whilst i quite like OG's very diplomatic response maybe as a club we need to whinge about these things a bit more.

Similarly on the pitch Brentford players were often talking to the ref/putting pressure on him and this does have an impact. He was very quick to card our players yet only Wissa's near assault on Eze got them a booking.

For their 2nd goal i thought Henderson wasn't great. I know it took a deflection but he literally just push the ball onto the guy's shin.

To carry on where we left off last season was always going to be difficult and unlikely. We had the impetus of a new manager, a nearly fully fit squad becoming available ( inc Michael Olise) , and matches against some weary sides who were just seeing the season out.

I sincerely hope that wasn't our moment in the sun! So, let's hope we can kick start the season against West Ham on Saturday.

To carry on where we left off last season was always going to be difficult and unlikely. We had the impetus of a new manager, a nearly fully fit squad becoming available ( inc Michael Olise) , and matches against some weary sides who were just seeing the season out.

I sincerely hope that wasn't our moment in the sun! So, let's hope we can kick start the season against West Ham on Saturday.

I wholly endorse these sentiments.

The detail of the situationcaused by the debut ref's incompetence meant that VAR could not be used. If the whistle was blown after the ball went in the goal then VAR could have been used and likely would have judged no foul and the goal would have stood

a disappointing result against a pretty average, but hardworking side.

As for the 1st goal they scored they exploited the gap behind the wing backs quite well and that is something we will need to improve on and fast.

Some of our players looked a little off which is not surprising considering 7 have barely had a pre season.

In terms of the Eze 'no' goal clearly it was a terrible mistake and poor Hughes was just standing there whilst the defender wrapped himself around him and then fell over. As a small club this will get pushed under the carpet (see Wolves last season when they had loads of dodgy decisions) but whilst i quite like OG's very diplomatic response maybe as a club we need to whinge about these things a bit more.

Similarly on the pitch Brentford players were often talking to the ref/putting pressure on him and this does have an impact. He was very quick to card our players yet only Wissa's near assault on Eze got them a booking.

For their 2nd goal i thought Henderson wasn't great. I know it took a deflection but he literally just push the ball onto the guy's shin.
Yeah..... called him a "great character" that he admitted his mistake..... But according to his interviews he is constantly meeting great characters, so why should this tw@rt make an exception. TBF, to call him what he was wouldn't have changed anything and maybe he once will recall who gave him praise even yesterday.

I'm not overreacting yet. We got unlucky with a crap decision, a few missed chances and not getting the rub of the green.

The defence need to get organised though. Two soft goals to concede.

I'm not overreacting yet. We got unlucky with a crap decision, a few missed chances and not getting the rub of the green.

The defence need to get organised though. Two soft goals to concede.

All three of our CBs had to take a professional yellow card this game to prevent a breakaway. The combination of a high line and not the fastest defense means we need to fix issues in our midfield. I'm not sure Wharton & Hughes together, which worked last year, is the best this year since we're leaving a gap between mid and defense that fast breaking teams like Brentford can exploit.

Not having the full team together for pre-season means it will take us more time to pull it together which is really unfortunate because we need to iron out things in our first few games we should have had fixed before things went live. It may get worse before it gets better I fear.

All three of our CBs had to take a professional yellow card this game to prevent a breakaway. The combination of a high line and not the fastest defense means we need to fix issues in our midfield. I'm not sure Wharton & Hughes together, which worked last year, is the best this year since we're leaving a gap between mid and defense that fast breaking teams like Brentford can exploit.

Not having the full team together for pre-season means it will take us more time to pull it together which is really unfortunate because we need to iron out things in our first few games we should have had fixed before things went live. It may get worse before it gets better I fear.

I had a discussion with a gentleman who is tactically astute with several years experience in the 'World' of football.

He was not able to view the entire match but his analysis included the fact that Brentford's front three were far quicker and more mobile than our three central defenders.Brentford retreated into a middle/low block invited us on to them then broke at pace, exploiting the space on the flanks.Our central defenders had to defend out wide and they were not comfortable in doing so.Brentford's fleet of foot on the counter-attack also exposed the limitations of Hughes and Wharton out of possession when they are confronted with pace.

I had a discussion with a gentleman who is tactically astute with several years experience in the 'World' of football.

He was not able to view the entire match but his analysis included the fact that Brentford's front three were far quicker and more mobile than our three central defenders.Brentford retreated into a middle/low block invited us on to them then broke at pace, exploiting the space on the flanks.Our central defenders had to defend out wide and they were not comfortable in doing so.Brentford's fleet of foot on the counter-attack also exposed the limitations of Hughes and Wharton out of possession when they are confronted with pace.
I think this is a reasonable analysis.

However, this is the tactical approach under Glasner with a relatively high press (by Palace standards) which caused problems for Brentford for much of the match.

It worked at the end of last season too.
We created lots of chances yesterday but didn't take them.
Hopefully this will change once Mateta gets up to speed.

I think we'll continue to play this way and will remain vulnerable to opposition who beat the press.
Mbueno is a classic example of a player who can exploit the space in this situation,but there are plenty of others in the division.
With regard to Hughes and Wharton they have a very good understanding where each other is on the field and their link up play is pretty good.
There are downsides to their partnership but I guess Glasner has to decide whether the negatives outweigh the positives.

It was also noticeable how much more prepared we were to have a shot. Eze and Wharton took as many opportunities as they had. Ayew was a bit unlucky with the late chance that came to him as well.

it was good to hear the ref admit he made a mistake but the brentford players were a disgrace they knew the ref was a novice and were taking advantage of it through out the game

Last edited:
VAR was adopted in order to correct clear, obvious, correctable errors. In this case, however, the rules protocol PREVENTED a VAR review of a game-changing foul decision!

Surely the rules protocol should be changed. Either an on-field referee or a VAR referee should have the right to insist on an official review, even if limited only to scoring opportunities.
Indeed the protocol say's (rightly ) the whistle went so they could do nothing about the 'goal' . The clear and obvious error though could have at least been recognised though with VAR suggesting a re-take of the free kick . It wouldn't have given us our goal back but at least some instant verification that the ref got it wrong . Would also have meant the Brentford counter would not have happened for the first goal while our players were switched off .

We were the better side yesterday and lost which always leaves a sense of bad feeling and a sense of injustice when things have gone against us . We still had plenty of time and opportunity to turn it around as the decent sides do which was the biggest worry for me .
Hopefully that puts paid to players who ended last season well keeping their place and our best side will take to the pitch v the spammers .

Indeed the protocol say's (rightly ) the whistle went so they could do nothing about the 'goal' . The clear and obvious error though could have at least been recognised though with VAR suggesting a re-take of the free kick . It wouldn't have given us our goal back but at least some instant verification that the ref got it wrong . Would also have meant the Brentford counter would not have happened for the first goal while our players were switched off .

We were the better side yesterday and lost which always leaves a sense of bad feeling and a sense of injustice when things have gone against us . We still had plenty of time and opportunity to turn it around as the decent sides do which was the biggest worry for me .
Hopefully that puts paid to players who ended last season well keeping their place and our best side will take to the pitch v the spammers .

This would extend the parameters of the VAR protocol in terms of "Clear and obvious errors" and it is a total non-starter.

There are changes this season the biggest of which is the introduction of a 'Referee's Call' approach, similar to cricket's 'Umpire's Call', that reaffirms a higher bar for intervention.

'Clear and obvious' remains the key test, with the Premier League revealing there were 31 incorrect uses of VAR last season and 105 which were correct.

One positive from the match was Doucoure getting a bit of game time. If Glasner can recover the player who was POTY 2 years ago...

Sarr? Let's wait and see.

Kamada? Not on that performance. Also more time.

Riad?

Back