• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Brentford v Crystal Palace match thread

I’ve seen a comment elsewhere that we looked strong down the right during our excellent run last season with Clyne , Munoz and Olise linking up very well.

This was missing today.

In that good spell Clyne even went on ‘underlapping’ as well as overlapping runs and Munoz looked comfortable with Clyne behind him as Clyne is experienced to cover the right back position when Munoz ventured forward.

I’m not sure Richards looks as comfortable in this position on the right side.

He was excellent on the left of a back 3 because Mitchell is far more defensively orientated than Munoz so the same defending out wide wasn’t expected of Richards.
Richards is the future (rather than Clyne) in team terms, but I think Clyne may be better suited to the right side of the back 3 position if we want to see the best of Munoz for the time being.
My thoughts on defence as well. I don’t think the 3 at the back today complement each other or those in front of them as Clyne, Andersen and Richard’s did at the end of last season. Richard’s swapping sides didn’t help. It looked wrong in the friendly last week as well. He was much better on the left last season. Olise was missed but it was more down to balance today and that needs sorting quickly if we are to continue the form at the end of last season. Brentford were average and we would have beaten them in that run we had at the end of last season. I’m disappointed with how today played out even if we were a bit unlucky. Defensively we we’re shaky :-(

Kamada hasn't had enough time to get to know his new teammates. He has guile and game intelligence, that much is plain to see but he often roved into the centre of the field behind Mateta leaving a gap where Munoz got used to linking up with the winger.
On the other side it didn't look like Eze really trusted him and the linking triangle that was so prolific at the end of last season is currently not functioning.
They need more time to get to know eachother and we'll see much more pleasing play.

The free kick was one of a slew of errors from the ref. We had an excellent view of the Guehi booking and it looked a great tackle. First 20 mins or so was great, Palace fans ;loud, then it just went flat on and off the pitch. They worked out the high press and Andersen being the weak link. Have to love Hughes' contribution.

That was a tough one to take. Palace dominated possession early on without demonstrating the clinical finishing that we saw at the end of last season. I think had Palace have taken the lead, they probably would have gone on to win the game. That situation was denied to us by the referee of course.

I think you have to give Brentford credit for exploiting the gaps behind our wing backs. That was their main tactic for which we didn't have an answer, throughout the game. Guehi allowing Mbeumo to cut inside put me in mind of PVA showing Knockhaert inside against Brighton a few years back. That wasn't the quality of defending I expect from him.

Overall some good aspects to our play but also areas that need improvement.

I think there will be players coming in and going out before the window closes.

It felt like Guehi was saying '' goodbye '' to the fans at the end of the game. And my Fulham source told me yesterday that they are confident of signing Andersen....can't see both being allowed to leave but you never say never in football.

Last season OG got the balance right between the high press but still having defensive cover in case of a counter. Yesterday the defence was left exposed and Frank was wise enough to go direct. Both Hughes and Wharton were playing high up the pitch and the former is too slow to recover and the latter didn't look fully match fit, especially in the second half when he laboured to get back at times. This wasn't helped by the fact Richards and Andersen both looked like they were running through treacle at times. I'm sure Guehi will also admit that was far from a good game from him.

Glasner's system relies on a high level of fitness and match sharpness. We saw that last season after the three-week break in the sun when everything clicked into gear. I saw enough to believe we'll have a good season, it might just take a few games for us to hit our stride.

Last season OG got the balance right between the high press but still having defensive cover in case of a counter. Yesterday the defence was left exposed and Frank was wise enough to go direct. Both Hughes and Wharton were playing high up the pitch and the former is too slow to recover and the latter didn't look fully match fit, especially in the second half when he laboured to get back at times. This wasn't helped by the fact Richards and Andersen both looked like they were running through treacle at times. I'm sure Guehi will also admit that was far from a good game from him.

Glasner's system relies on a high level of fitness and match sharpness. We saw that last season after the three-week break in the sun when everything clicked into gear. I saw enough to believe we'll have a good season, it might just take a few games for us to hit our stride.
I’m a little bit inpatient 🙂 but hope you are right. Just perhaps we aren’t as good as we all thought after the ending last season? Brentford were there for the taking and I didn’t see results this weekend different than normal. The usually better teams beat the not so good teams as they should do. We obviously aren’t in the same bracket as the expected to win teams as we thought we were :-(

OG is not used to have half of his squad not available during the best part of pre-season. He usually had a week somewhere in the alps for high altitude training and getting them back to the required fitness levels. Add to that the new players haven't geled in (how could they?) and then you get a performance you saw yesterday. Don't think that's a reason to panick. At least we had more chances created, shots on goal, some goalmouth action etc. than in many games in former seasons.

Yesterday showed that we need another flair player on the wing. We had Wilf and then Olise. Now we have no one of that type.
Eze cannot do it alone, as we saw last season. We were linked with Wesley Gassova at one point. He or someone like him would open defences.

Spend the money Steve.

I think you have to give Brentford credit for exploiting the gaps behind our wing backs. That was their main tactic for which we didn't have an answer, throughout the game.
Very much this... 🙁
We definately look a work in progress, and I myself expect other players coming in.

I’m a little bit inpatient 🙂 but hope you are right. Just perhaps we aren’t as good as we all thought after the ending last season? Brentford were there for the taking and I didn’t see results this weekend different than normal. The usually better teams beat the not so good teams as they should do. We obviously aren’t in the same bracket as the expected to win teams as we thought we were :-(

I recall engaging in conversation with supporters who were waxing lyrical about our two home victories against Man Utd 4-0,and A.Villa 5-0. I reminded them that Man Utd were a very weakened side missing several of their 'Star' players and the final encounter was against A.Villa who had already qualified for Europe.
I encountered derision with one bellowing out "What a lighthouse of joy you are" 😳

Having felt like a bucket of cold water had been thrown over me with yesterday's first day defeat, I the read a quote from yesterday from Parish indicating that Palace was a club for players,
' to travel through, not be the destination. '

Some would say realistic, others may claim lacking in ambition.

Glasner will expect backing though.
He made it clear when he joined that if Palace just wanted to settle for mid table every season, he was not the right man to be manager.
He was ambitious for demonstrable progress as evidenced at his other clubs.
If the club don't match his ambitions I see potential difficulties ahead.

Brentford are an out of the block team from kick off and I felt for the first few 5/10 minute we didn’t seem to be able to put your foot on the ball and Brentford had the faster start but with a few tweaks from the manager we were the better team for most of the match. Agree that the back three for Palace didn’t look as comfortable as last season Richards seemed wrong footed at times.
We missed Olise presence and his footwork in general as a team I hope we bring in a player of his quality in the last few days of this window.
. Mateta in my opinion looked a little tired up front I would have liked to have seen Sarr Édouard, Ayew start, I know Ayew gets stick but under Glasner I think he has more confidence and his play has improved.
The ref had an appalling game in my eyes not only through the disallowed goal but there were a few incidences I noticed during the match Brentford players holding imaginary cards up and at halftime surrounding the ref. Another tactic I believed Brentford players pulled during the whole match how easy they went to ground with the slights tackle from a Palace player, was this a tactic knowing the ref was new comer to the Premiership.
As for VAR it needs more thought and adjustment on this stupid offside ruling were a mouse’s whisker, knee cap /foot is 15mm over the line is completely killing the game. If you are going to keep VAR as it seems then why not have VAR active were the players body is half over the line and when a lines person slight is obstructed.

Yesterday showed that we need another flair player on the wing. We had Wilf and then Olise. Now we have no one of that type.
Eze cannot do it alone, as we saw last season. We were linked with Wesley Gassova at one point. He or someone like him would open defences.

Spend the money Steve.
Is Franca supposed to be the flair player? Looks like the team we have will be creating more up the middle and less from the wings. Palarsenal...

Is Franca supposed to be the flair player? Looks like the team we have will be creating more up the middle and less from the wings. Palarsenal...
His flair seems to be for being unavailable.

You need players who frighten defences and put teams on the back foot. What we have now is not enough.
Players like Zaha and Olise leaving leave a big hole in your attacking prowess. We have to replace that.
Kamada is a technical player. We needed more like that, but not at the expense of flair. We have Sarr, but he is about speed. The team need someone wide who goes past defenders.

His flair seems to be for being unavailable.

You need players who frighten defences and put teams on the back foot. What we have now is not enough.
Players like Zaha and Olise leaving leave a big hole in your attacking prowess. We have to replace that.
Kamada is a technical player. We needed more like that, but not at the expense of flair. We have Sarr, but he is about speed. The team need someone wide who goes past defenders.
As Glasner alluded to, Kamada and Sarr may be alternated according to the opposition. Against bigger teams when we're pegged in having someone with Sarr's pace on the counter could be vital. He generally just knocks the ball and runs. I must admit I am still torn as to whether Sarr really fits Glasner's system, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

The defeat is still too recent and raw so don’t want to analyse the game but just wanted to say the referee’s performance was atrocious and most likely cost us the win. His total f*** up for the Eze free kick was a disgrace PLUS the free kick given against Hughes wasn’t even a foul! You can see the Brentford player bear hugging and wrestling Hughes and he then trips himself up. Secondly the Guehi yellow card was shocking, it wasn’t even a foul let alone a booking. And finally the disallowed Edouard goal was dismissed far too quickly for it to have been looked at properly. It was SO tight it could easily have been onside when the ball was played and I’m still amazed it wasn’t looked at and overturned.

I recall engaging in conversation with supporters who were waxing lyrical about our two home victories against Man Utd 4-0,and A.Villa 5-0. I reminded them that Man Utd were a very weakened side missing several of their 'Star' players and the final encounter was against A.Villa who had already qualified for Europe.
I encountered derision with one bellowing out "What a lighthouse of joy you are" 😳
Spot on though, I’ve been saying it all summer, it was a great end to the season and really enjoyable, BUT we were playing teams who’d had long seasons with cup runs and European football just at a time when we were revitalised by a new gaffer, two excellent signings and important players coming back from injury.
So anyone who thought we were going to go into this season with the same sort of results early on are obviously living in cloud cuckoo land.
Yes we might still end up having a good start because it’s good to watch under glasner and a big improvement from Roy, but we were never going to be blowing teams away like we did back in April and May

The defeat is still too recent and raw so don’t want to analyse the game but just wanted to say the referee’s performance was atrocious and most likely cost us the win. His total f*** up for the Eze free kick was a disgrace PLUS the free kick given against Hughes wasn’t even a foul! You can see the Brentford player bear hugging and wrestling Hughes and he then trips himself up. Secondly the Guehi yellow card was shocking, it wasn’t even a foul let alone a booking. And finally the disallowed Edouard goal was dismissed far too quickly for it to have been looked at properly. It was SO tight it could easily have been onside when the ball was played and I’m still amazed it wasn’t looked at and overturned.

Agree all round.

As an attempt to salvage some optimism though, I do hope this lights a fire under our players to compensate with a win at Selhurst on Saturday. Famous last words possibly but we live in hope... surely?

COYP

Back