• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Brentford v Crystal Palace match thread

A draw would have been fair.
The referee made a real cock up and admitted so afterwards, not that it helps us of course - and it may have changed the match in our favour.
Hel was also booking happy on us - we got 5 cards and they got 1, in what was a clean game.
Richards on the right was a mistake - Clyne is better; the back three looked very slow: Guehi ran away from the ball for their first goal and could have cut it out; Hughes had a great end of season but is a spent force at this level and needs to be benched: Mateta looks tired sadly; Edouarde - I would rather we sold him; Olise is a massive miss but it is too early to saw whether Kamada is a replacement - I think not and worry that he will occupy Eze space.
Wharton looked good as did Mitchell and I hope that we don't sell Ayew - there's something I never thought I would say!
We move on but OG needs to find a way to stop other teams finding us out as Brentford did.

The defeat is still too recent and raw so don’t want to analyse the game but just wanted to say the referee’s performance was atrocious and most likely cost us the win. His total f*** up for the Eze free kick was a disgrace PLUS the free kick given against Hughes wasn’t even a foul! You can see the Brentford player bear hugging and wrestling Hughes and he then trips himself up. Secondly the Guehi yellow card was shocking, it wasn’t even a foul let alone a booking. And finally the disallowed Edouard goal was dismissed far too quickly for it to have been looked at properly. It was SO tight it could easily have been onside when the ball was played and I’m still amazed it wasn’t looked at and overturned.
Refwatch was sadly predictable this morning. According to Dermot Gallagher Eze's goal being disallowed was a mistake but the main thing is that it's a learning point for the referee. So that's alright. Hughes's "foul" wasn't mentioned except that it was an unusual situation.
Guehi's card was right because he did catch him after playing the ball.
Eddy's offside wasn't mentioned.

Refwatch was sadly predictable this morning. According to Dermot Gallagher Eze's goal being disallowed was a mistake but the main thing is that it's a learning point for the referee. So that's alright. Hughes's "foul" wasn't mentioned except that it was an unusual situation.

The referee was honourable enough to accept culpability and offer his apologies.The incident will of course form part of the after-match forensic examination of his overall performance.

Last edited:
The referee was honourable enough to accept culpability, and of course the incident will form part of the after-match forensic examination of his overall performance.
Quite honestly I don't care about his honour. It was a shocking decision which affected the final score and several of his decisions were questionable at best.
If VAR is to have any value it should be involved in incidents where the ref is obviously wrong.

Clear and obvious it certainly was and nothing could have altered the outcome of the free kick! Let’s hide being the technicality “get out of jail” free card.

Game not the best but felt we were slightly the better side overall. Everything was a little off from the start including Mateta on the pitch after an exhausting and emotional Olympics. Will get better but so will the opposition.

Quite honestly I don't care about his honour. It was a shocking decision which affected the final score and several of his decisions were questionable at best.
If VAR is to have any value it should be involved in incidents where the ref is obviously wrong.

Had the ball sailed over the bar with the destination being "Row Z",there would have been no debate apropos the timing of the referee blowing his whistle.He admitted that he had erred and I suspect that in future he will be less inclined to blow with such haste in a similar situation.

Had the ball sailed over the bar with the destination being "Row Z",there would have been no debate apropos the timing of the referee blowing his whistle.He admitted that he had erred and I suspect that in future he will be less inclined to blow with such haste in a similar situation.
And if we'd been 5 up at the time it wouldn't have mattered. Not as much anyway. That other clubs might benefit from his learning opportunity isn't any consolation.

Not if he disallows more goals and wrongly sends off two of ours then apologises that they were all mistakes again.
Sam Barrott is new to the Premier League but I have witnessed some of his performances in the EFL and they were exemplary.
In the final analysis, referees are only human they officiate in a high pressure environment and of course they err from time to time.

I just don’t get this nonsense. We see time and time again, these types of challenges inside the box looked at in slow motion by VAR and deciding not to award a penalty because the defender (or goalkeeper) got a slight touch on the ball first. Yet here we have Guehi cleanly and clearly winning the ball without even any foul on the player, yet he is awarded a yellow card because he then couldn’t avoid the inevitable (non dangerous or malicious) contact with the opponent.

Just doesn’t make sense and another example of interference in the laws of our game by people who have clearly never played it.

Sam Barrott is new to the Premier League but I have witnessed some of his performances in the EFL and they were exemplary.
In the final analysis, referees are only human they officiate in a high pressure environment and of course they err from time to time.
Which matches were these you refer to? as I would like to review his performances for myself

In different circumstances an error like that could have very serious consequences, a European Cup place or a relegation for instance, and a multimillion pound industry shouldn't be expected to just shrug and move on. Of course anyone can make a mistake but VAR exists so why not let it intervene in cases like that?

VAR was adopted in order to correct clear, obvious, correctable errors. In this case, however, the rules protocol PREVENTED a VAR review of a game-changing foul decision!

Surely the rules protocol should be changed. Either an on-field referee or a VAR referee should have the right to insist on an official review, even if limited only to scoring opportunities.

The Hughes ‘foul’ looked like he was fouled in the penalty area. So why was VAR not called in to review a penalty decision? A fairer outcome would have been for the goal to be disallowed but a penalty awarded.

The Hughes ‘foul’ looked like he was fouled in the penalty area. So why was VAR not called in to review a penalty decision? A fairer outcome would have been for the goal to be disallowed but a penalty awarded.

It is feasible that the VAR did review the incident concerning Hughes and Collins and concluded that there was no reason to request the referee to refer to the monitor.If this was the scenario, from my perspective it was the right decision.

There was also a Brentford player inside the box and offside for their first goal. Presumably the ref considerred him not interfering but he was in front of the goalpost forcing Henderson to stay left in case the ball was passed to him to slot in and as a result the shot went past him on the right. Should have been disallowed!

It is feasible that the VAR did review the incident concerning Hughes and Collins and concluded that there was no reason to request the referee to refer to the monitor.If this was the scenario, from my perspective it was the right decision.
Yes no doubt that was the thinking. Not sure why they allow defenders to hold players anywhere on the pitch but in the penalty box is surely unacceptable… and yet they accept it every week. This aspect is due a rule/guidance change surely.

Back