• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Brentford v Crystal Palace match thread

It's good that fans aren't over reacting to a first game away defeat. 😉

Kamada was found wanting in terms of physicality, he looked like a 'Fish out of water' and was very disappointing.
We just could not cope with the pace of Brentford on the break.
Question marks about Guehi's defending for the Brentford opening goal.
Top 8 finish / Europe ? - Not a snowflakes in Hades chance.
More Sushi than Daichi?

Here we go again then!

But you have to admire the blind optimism of the Palace fan. On the predictions thread, it was:

Palace win - 31 predictions
Draw - 22 predictions
Brentford win - 0 predictions

Result - our first-ever top-flight defeat against the Bees 😩

Henderson terrible distribution. Richards had a poor game and Anderson wasn’t at his best. Munoz poor defensively and never beat his man to cross. We controlled midfield for periods without creating much. Kamada sees a pass but a bit lightweight. Eze did well first half but tried to score when he should have passed a few times second half. Mateta didn’t get much service. Despite this we should have been 2-2 but for the ref. The most disappointing thing is that Brentford are a poor side and we didn’t take advantage.
Anybody you did like?

Agreed. Bizarre to be dreaming of Europe. Lets hope to stay free of relegation and prehaps finish 15th - 16th. Although that will take some luck.

I have ever entertained the thought that we will finish high enough to qualify for Europe.

In terms of today's encounter, Munoz was the right wing-back but hardly made foraging runs providing service from out on the flanks.
Kamada was totally ineffective and losing Mateta at half time was a major negative.The three at the back formation meant that the outer central defenders had to move out wide to confront Mbeumo and Schade and were found wanting against the fleet of foot Brentford players.
I believe a draw would have been a fair reflection of the game but overall we were not at our best.

Last edited:
When Edouard has the goal in the net, he receives a great pass from Eze, has no oppenent close to him and can see the one clearly playing him offside.

Has he been 2 meters further back, he would still, easily have reached the pass and would have been onside.

He must be the most stupid player ever to wear a Palace shirt or more procisely any football shirt.

Brentford finished 16th last season and were without their best player. We will struggle to reach something like a 16 place this year. And Eze, Guehi and Andersen must wonder why on earth to stay?

Re watch it in slow mo he is just onside, the Prem released a picture which shows him offside which is not even when the ball has been released from Eze.

He would not have gotten it if he was 2 meters back.

Look at Glazners record this is something people ignore he is not great against the teams who are low down or should be beating yet gets results against tougher ones (It's to do with style just like Roy when we have to control we don't do well)

Manager got it wrong from start and his subs was odd.

Anderson is such a liability (hes the one I would like to see go)

Has to be said the ref was very bad and we were robbed today , not by a better side but from bad decisions from a man child with a whistle . Eze was denied a potential goal of the season goal today. Did anyone see the lines for the Edouard off side it looked very tight , i was waiting for it to ccome up and im still waiting . Onwards and upwards hopefully . 🙁 Im off to the pub 🙂

Not a terrible performance , early season performance and did not get the run of the ball.
I think we missed Olise as he could hold the ball up to give Munoz the chance to get back into defensive positions. Kamada was not helping out in the same way and enabled Brentford to counter down our right hand side which they appeared to target. I also think our midfield three played too far forward thus not enabling us to get back for the Brentford counter. I am sure OG will sort it and on another day the rub of the green will go our way.COYP

Despite
* a few glaring mistakes (Guehi's loose play, Eze's failure to pass to Mitchell)
* painful officiating (Eze's goal, and possibly the Edouard offside call)
* terrible luck (every deflection except the own goal helped Brentford) and
* questionable squad choices (too much Kamada, Hughes, Edouard; not enough Doucoure, Lerma, Ayew)

we played pretty well and deserved at least a draw, probably a win. My only worries are the passivity and distribution of Henderson, and the focus of Guehi and Andersen.

Mitchell, Munoz, Wharton and Mateta will drive us. Eze will dazzle if he gets fit.

Didn’t realise it was the first premier league game for that ref. Well done whoever gave him a live Sunday game on sky.

Shame it wasn’t his last but explains a lot. Nowhere near a prem ref.
It wasnt, the reffed us last season in the Premier, he was crap then as well.

Hard to recall feeling so optimistic before a match and so deflated after it. Walked an hour to a boozer to watch that.

Hughes played like he did under Roy and he knew it. What happened to the run through walls mindset that created that sprint finish last season?

I seem to be the only person on here that thought Hughes had a reasonable game.
He was always available to receive the ball , kept the ball moving and, together with Wharton, was largely responsible for our controlling of the midfield for most of the game.

I also fear it's unfair to judge Kamada too early.
He's a totally different player to Olise and is not going to beat his man or bend one in the top corner.
He's always on the move and takes up good positions and I'm sure we'll see more of his strengths when he's on the same wavelengths as his teammates.

Defensive errors, bad luck and lack of ruthlessness cost us today.
Henderson had little to do.

We need to get Mateta fit and firing and hopefully we can add another forward player this window to increase our options offensively.

the free kick decision took the wind from our sails and helped them to score - we didn't lose the game bcos of that though, we slackened again after the second disallowed goal and you could see their next gal coming, but how many times we sshowed lack of quality or composure in scoring positions was apalling - Eze not feeding Mitchell on the left first half, Kamada over hitting the through ball to Mateta, Kamada and Edouard getting in each others' way just after we equalized, Eze wasting great work by aiming straight at the keeper several times ... I'm still optimistic bcos we were unlucky, Mateta won't play as bad as that all season, Doucoure and Lerma will raise the bar, Kamada looked like a poor man's Ayew but he is surely better and needs to be given time - far too early to judge, and Sarr might well give us a bit more goal threat. Very frustrating not to get a point, but i think we need to invest in some fire power up front. If we lose Guehi, get Lacroix and have 30 or 40mil surplus we need to spend that on a forward, or even have Wilf back, on today's showing we need someonew like him.

it was a typical first game of the season, apart from having to run out to kick the ball, dont recall Henderson having to do much apart from the goals, dont think either were his fault, the second the deflection made him look stupid, just one of them days.

Back