• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Brentford v Crystal Palace match thread

unlucky today.

Eze looked very sharp.
We were unlucky. Two disallowed goals that on another day would not have been.

Looked the better side throughout, especially in the second half until they got their goal, after which they parked the bus and we looked tired.

Just one of those results. We could just as easily have taken all 3 points as lose them.

Very much a below par performance. Eze I thought was poor. Can't fault his effort but thought he was rather selfish today. Should have squared the ball to Mitchell in the first half and was just trying to do too much with the ball. Mateta was definitely off pace today. was not impressed with Kamada. He is definitely not the solution to replace Olise. The only players that I thought stood out was Wharton and Mitchell. Well, on to the next one. It's a long season and hopefully that is just due to lack of fitness and being a tad rusty. Also the ref is an absolute donut. We were robbed of the free kick and Guehi did not deserve the yellow card, he won the ball and couldn't see any danger of injuring the player. Not making excuses. We were not good enough but definitely deserved a point.

Lot of work to do. The cutting edge is not there. I guess that’s the loss of Olise. I’ve said many times that Olise brought the best out of Eze whereas Kamada goes into Eze space and offers no help to Munoz.

Few players looked well off it today. I know CD has been out injured but he looked heavy.

Mitchell looked good, the 3 at the back looked really slow with no cohesiveness, we actually looked better last year without MG.

Still none the wiser about Sarr.

As was said in a previous post that was the worst we’ve played under OG.

Also. Did anybody else get an end of season vibe at Brentford? More atmosphere on the moon. Glad that’s out the way… onto Wet Spam next.

Brentford were lucky, but we have to be honest and say that we gave the game away with our poor defense. Defend more consistently and both goals could have been avoided.

And up front it was a mixture of not enough drive towards the goal at the beginning and then not enough skill to get through Brentford's defense. Lots of movement, lots of people in the opponent's box, but there was just not enough to come out of it.

Was it because Olise was missing? It is clear that Kamada has some good ideas in principle, but was unable to fill the hole created by Olise's departure today. Eze was good at the beginning, but then dropped off after the goal was not given. The rest of the offensive players also only put in an average performance.

The midfield was also a mixed bag. Solid in the build-up, but very often when Brentford came out from the back they were simply outplayed. And they were often a decisive step too late.

The coordination was often not right and that is something that Glasner really needs to work on. Very unsatisfactory game.

We were unlucky today against a s**t Brentford side, obviously the missing link was Olise, and a not fit Mateta, Sarr and Kamada are decent squad players, but, we need a marquee signing, an Olise clone, and its needs to be a proven player, 40m+, if we cant afford it, take the Guehi money, it will make know difference what so ever if Riad or Lerma play in his position, i can see Newcastle signing Lacroix for 15m and him being outstanding, get quality in before the deadline.

I suspect the referee will be dropped for next week after that howler. He certainly would if it was against one of the big 6.
One up and it’s a different game.
Having said that we looked more laboured going forward and taking too many touches at times.
Kamada looks neat and tidy, but doesn’t look like he’s going to create much.
Still need another attacking option I suspect.

Kamada was found wanting in terms of physicality, he looked like a 'Fish out of water' and was very disappointing.
We just could not cope with the pace of Brentford on the break.
Question marks about Guehi's defending for the Brentford opening goal.
Top 8 finish / Europe ? - Not a snowflakes in Hades chance.

Back to the usual shite. Awful. If we are going to kick on and push for europe, we should.be beating teams like Brentford. Useless

Well you obviously didn't watch games in the 60/70/80's Budgie did it, Jacko did it & even Martyn did it.
Definitely didn’t watch in 60s being born in 71.

I know it’s always been around but now it’s a ‘thing’ every keeper every game. No need to collapse to the ground… down they go. Just the game I suppose.

It’s better than Royball. Kamada and Hughes looked well off pace. Eze goal should have stood. Eze looked great. No easy games in PL. Wharton had some shots. Woohoo. But also not at his best. Look forward to team settling down (by Leicester at home) w Dacoure back mateta and Wharton firing and Saar lighting up the right wing. Looking forward to visit of the happy hammers 🥳

We were unlucky. Two disallowed goals that on another day would not have been.

Looked the better side throughout, especially in the second half until they got their goal, after which they parked the bus and we looked tired.

Just one of those results. We could just as easily have taken all 3 points as lose them.
It was a game we should not have lost. Nothing wrong with the Eze free kick.
But at the end of play they had scored to valid goals, and that would lose a lot of games, OG has to sort that out , because both goals were really sloppy on our part.

When Edouard has the goal in the net, he receives a great pass from Eze, has no oppenent close to him and can see the one clearly playing him offside.

Has he been 2 meters further back, he would still, easily have reached the pass and would have been onside.

He must be the most stupid player ever to wear a Palace shirt or more procisely any football shirt.

Brentford finished 16th last season and were without their best player. We will struggle to reach something like a 16 place this year. And Eze, Guehi and Andersen must wonder why on earth to stay?

It was a bizarre team selection by Glasner as better players were left on the bench. Hughes plays neat passes that don't penetrate, is weak and gives fouls away. Henderson can't keep clean sheets.
we were definitely unlucky - Eze goal was only disallowed by a fraction of a second due to the timing of the ref's whistle for the foul by Hughes. If the ball was in the net after the whistle i think it probably would have stood. It was a funny game in that Brentford got their first goal when they were not in the game and pretty much their winner came against the run of play as well. Quite how we only got 1 goal given the chances we had is a bit of a surprise. Our bench was massively more impressive than in previous seasons. Eduoard, Saar, Ayew, Doucoure, Riad,Johnstone & Lerma is very decent and i am not sure if Schlupp was on the bench as well. We will be competitive this year for sure.

Henderson terrible distribution. Richards had a poor game and Anderson wasn’t at his best. Munoz poor defensively and never beat his man to cross. We controlled midfield for periods without creating much. Kamada sees a pass but a bit lightweight. Eze did well first half but tried to score when he should have passed a few times second half. Mateta didn’t get much service. Despite this we should have been 2-2 but for the ref. The most disappointing thing is that Brentford are a poor side and we didn’t take advantage.

Kamada was found wanting in terms of physicality, he looked like a 'Fish out of water' and was very disappointing.
We just could not cope with the pace of Brentford on the break.
Question marks about Guehi's defending for the Brentford opening goal.
Top 8 finish / Europe ? - Not a snowflakes in Hades chance.
Agreed. Bizarre to be dreaming of Europe. Lets hope to stay free of relegation and prehaps finish 15th - 16th. Although that will take some luck.

I agree ref was totally out of his depth and looked in panic mode throughout most of the game. The Brentford players worked out early on he was easily conned and their flopping down and running into our players to earn free kicks certainly payed dividends.

We lacked good distribution from the back and Anderson in particular looked wooden and kept making strange dolly drop clearances.

It was a patchy performance which we didn't deserve to win and also didn't deserve to lose
We had plenty of shots (largely through Eze) but rarely seriously troubled the keeper.

The good news is that we look capable of creating chances and played some decent football.

Back