• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Tory Leadership Race

Agree,all lacking in charisma,rather like Sir Keir,who actually underwent Charisma By pass surgery and yet somehow,became leader???
I think you guys and the Tory press work far too hard to hate Starmer. What is there to hate? He is to me as distilled water. No colour, no taste.

I see him as an antidote to the "charisma" of recent PMs. A safe but dull pair of hands.

Take a poll around the world of who our current leader is and I doubt many will be able to answer.

I think you guys and the Tory press work far too hard to hate Starmer. What is there to hate? He is to me as distilled water. No colour, no taste.

I see him as an antidote to the "charisma" of recent PMs. A safe but dull pair of hands.

Take a poll around the world of who our current leader is and I doubt many will be able to answer.
Starmer is ‘a safe pair of hands’? The jury is out on that one m’lord. And I could never call a traitor like that a Sir.

It's a new and devious tactic by the lizard people. Trump is just too obvious.

I used to criticize Labour for constantly shooting themselves in the foot on leadership - Foot, Corbyn (OBVIUOUSLY!!) the wrong Miliband - but the Tories appear to have taken the mantel of idiocy.

Not the 1st choice of all you neocons on here, but Tugenhat was the only one with the ghost of a chance in 5 years.
Not the first choice???

I've have rather had Tony Benn.....at least that guy was honest.

How on earth you think the 40 percent of Tory voters who voted Reform would have cast a vote for that liberal I'll never know.

Just real Tories then ... sounds just what the Tory voters want .. you obviously are not a Tory.
The Daily Fail has been full on about right wing Tories, actually the 2 candidates are just Tories. The media chooses to ignore that Cameron and co lurched the party to the left.

Hopefully this is a reset back to their natural position, those who vote Labour will never be happy but then again I never understood why they voted for Corbyn.

I'm still not convinced this reset is anything but cosmetic, the Tories have a history of saying what the voters want to hear e.g. tough on crime, immigration etc. then doing the opposite.

The winner is going to have to work very hard to convince me that they actually mean it.

Not the first choice???

I've have rather had Tony Benn.....at least that guy was honest.

How on earth you think the 40 percent of Tory voters who voted Reform would have cast a vote for that liberal I'll never know.
It's ironic you should say it like that.

The Tories are working up a plan to take back that 40% from Reform by putting in a hard right (for them) genuine Brexiteer. However, all they are doing is scrapping over that 40%. Meanwhile, they are ignoring and continuing to alienate the other 60%. A pity as that is fertile ground given many of those are already thinking they made a horrible mistake.

That is the point. Tugenhat would have taken a sizeable chunk of that 60% while retaining much of the 40%. The polls confirmed it. I am not saying he would have won. He might have. However, I am pretty confident (all things being equal) that, at worse, he would have wiped out the Libs, returned the Tories to a centrist and successful party with a much reduced Labour lead, and thereafter operated as an effective opposition.

I am more than aware that this is anathema to you and many who post on here, but I am talking electoral success, not policies you like.

Labour have so much time, even if I despair of them so far in govt.

And a further 1/6 of the of the tory-enabling 70+ age group wil not be with us next time.

800,000 more young voters will.

Can Starmer cock it all up? Definitely.

He's no Harold Wilson.

😎

Back