• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Tory Leadership Race

We will have to respectfully agree to disagree.

We Conservatives realise the importance of rebuilding trust with the public. Fundamentally, the reason we were rejected at the ballot box was not related to our values but because we were not seen as being a competent outfit for government.

As a party, we lost our sharpness and our edge, and we have lost our reputation as the party that gets things done. In all honesty, we lost the trust of the Great British public and the 'Brand' has been damaged.

Whilst we recognise the gargantuan challenge we face, there is optimism that we can revive our fortunes and re-establish our party as being fit for Government.
No, it's because you haven't been Conservatives for some years.

Yup, and Reform will steam into power next election, I just hope it’s not too late!
If you truly believe that then go put your life savings on it as you will get long odds.

That they will grow is probably true but by how much depends much more on the Tories than them. I would like them to represent those who hold their views in a fully representative way, becoming a noisy, substantial but minority opposition party. Alongside the LibDems on the left.

I thought this during Farage’s speech. To be able to speak for that li g without notes or cues is very impressive. Kamala Harris can’t specify anything for 3 minutes, or even one.
He is a confident and experienced politician who has both character and some charisma.

The same though could be said about many past politicians, and a few current ones, whose actual beliefs and attitudes stink.

Farage is a populist who is pretty clearly modelling some of his style on Trump, even if he is much more intelligent than him and doesn’t show the same signs of mental impairment that Trump now does.

He is throwing out policies that appeal to the angry right which have no prospect of either working or ever being implemented.

He is a con man. He knows that as well as I do. He could easily dominate a debate in a bar, but put him in any kind of position in which he actually had to do something in the real world and he would fall flat on his face. His policies are about as practical as Truss’s were.

Nigel Farage has said "I am relinquishing control of the Company and the overall control of the party".
It is him though who is directing how that control will operate in the future.

There are many stumbling blocks ahead and a very real danger of them being hijacked by seriously extreme elements.

He is a confident and experienced politician who has both character and some charisma.

The same though could be said about many past politicians, and a few current ones, whose actual beliefs and attitudes stink.

Farage is a populist who is pretty clearly modelling some of his style on Trump, even if he is much more intelligent than him and doesn’t show the same signs of mental impairment that Trump now does.

He is throwing out policies that appeal to the angry right which have no prospect of either working or ever being implemented.

He is a con man. He knows that as well as I do. He could easily dominate a debate in a bar, but put him in any kind of position in which he actually had to do something in the real world and he would fall flat on his face. His policies are about as practical as Truss’s were.
Im sure that with how it’s going reform are certainly having serious discussions about many facets of being in power. It seems that Labour does not have a clue and never expected to be in power.
The local elections next year will answer the question as to what people are thinking. Many local councils could be run by reform and that fly will certainly change labours plans. Their plan is clearly based on all being their own so how that would pan out is to be seen. Labour could in fact turn very spiteful towards these councils and that will be another faux pas.

Im sure that with how it’s going reform are certainly having serious discussions about many facets of being in power. It seems that Labour does not have a clue and never expected to be in power.
The local elections next year will answer the question as to what people are thinking. Many local councils could be run by reform and that fly will certainly change labours plans. Their plan is clearly based on all being their own so how that would pan out is to be seen. Labour could in fact turn very spiteful towards these councils and that will be another faux pas.

Last night there was an election in the Marine Ward on Worthing Borough Council. A Conservative gain with a 12.5% swing from Labour. The Conservative candidate attained 865 votes, the Reform candidate was third with 228 votes.🙂👍

Last night there was an election in the Marine Ward on Worthing Borough Council. A Conservative gain with a 12.5% swing from Labour. The Conservative candidate attained 865 votes, the Reform candidate was third with 228 votes.🙂👍
Swapping one social liberal for another.

Was it the pensioners who had lost their winter heating allowance that switched their allegiance?
I have no information as to whether this was the actualite but there is a general dissatisfaction with the current Government. They have run into 'Pitchy seas' early in this Parliament and I suspect the waves will only get bigger and more challenging to the extent they will resemble a pedalo fighting the tide.

I have no information as to whether this was the actualite but there is a general dissatisfaction with the current Government. They have run into 'Pitchy seas' early in this Parliament and I suspect the waves will only get bigger and more challenging to the extent they will resemble a pedalo fighting the tide.
Local elections always see an anti government swing,not newsworthy or unexpected, a bit like the news that the tide goes in and out.

Local elections always see an anti government swing,not newsworthy or unexpected, a bit like the news that the tide goes in and out.
A government with a large majority suffering at the ballot box a few months into their term. Already a dis-satisfaction with Starmer and his cronies.
A beatific smile came across my face when I heard about the result in Marine Ward.

A government with a large majority suffering at the ballot box a few months into their term. Already a dis-satisfaction with Starmer and his cronies.
A beatific smile came across my face when I heard about the result in Marine Ward.
That smile has to last you at least five long years.

Kemi Badenoch has made some comments ‘that not all cultures are equally valid’ on the subject of immigration in The Telegraph that I don’t have access to. She’s on Kuenssberg this morning. She’s said on the programme that isn’t about clothes (it is imo) and food but more child marriage, equal rights for women and women not being able to speak when you knock at the door so they have to go and get their husband, being careful not to mention Muslims or Islam. She then talks about those who hate Israel and/or Jews but won’t be manoeuvred into saying that’s just Muslims, as it isn’t.

here is a short video at her home…

Last edited:
Largely true. However, this government has alienated people in double quick time. They also look to have no plans or even ideas about how to turn it around. They're a bit like Palace hoping there are three worse teams. Labour think there are three worse parties - in that, they're largely correct currently. But five years is long enough for even the Tories to get their act together. And let's face it , Starmer is not exactly a hard target. Half his own party and members dislike him. Let alone everyone else.

What's scary is they're going to have to go big if they carry on like this. What going big will look like to these morons is anyone's guess.

What's scary is they're going to have to go big if they carry on like this. What going big will look like to these morons is anyone's guess.
Making everyone register every living chicken they own is one policy being talked about. It would be funny if it wasn’t for a lot of people in the country being unregistered or an enemy of England in their minds.

If Badenoch doesn't win the Tories are finished.
If Badenoch wins then they may as well just merge with Reform. They would definitely no longer be a party able to hold the centre and become, like Reform, a noisy minority without the capacity to hold power on their own. If they didn’t merge with Reform then they would end up fighting each other for the same minority of voters.

No, she must not win and the only way to do that is for the MPs not to give the members the option of choosing her, because if they do then that’s who the membership will pick.

As the MP’s are more politically savvy than the average party member I trust that’s what will happen. I certainly hope so. I have no wish to see the Tories opt out of being electable and for there to be no viable alternative to Labour for the rest of my lifetime.

Those, including many here, who think Reform will surge to a point where they can take power are deluding themselves. They will grow. They deserve to grow so their voice can be heard where it needs to heard, and not on the streets. There is a substantial minority who think that way but it will never become big enough to be any more than a minority.

If Badenoch wins then they may as well just merge with Reform. They would definitely no longer be a party able to hold the centre and become, like Reform, a noisy minority without the capacity to hold power on their own. If they didn’t merge with Reform then they would end up fighting each other for the same minority of voters.

No, she must not win and the only way to do that is for the MPs not to give the members the option of choosing her, because if they do then that’s who the membership will pick.

As the MP’s are more politically savvy than the average party member I trust that’s what will happen. I certainly hope so. I have no wish to see the Tories opt out of being electable and for there to be no viable alternative to Labour for the rest of my lifetime.

I agree with you as the choice of the next party leader shouldn't be left to a bunch of clueless, out of touch elderly old buffers.

If Kemi Badenoch wins then the Lib Dems will probably end up as the opposition after the next election but the only plus point would be to watch her losing her temper at PMQ's when Sir Freebie ties her up in knots

Kemi Badenoch is right about her comments on some cultures. There is clearly a problem but if you talk about it you’re immediately racist, despite the fact the cultures that she can’t specify are in conflict with the politics and sometimes identity of the people screaming’’bigot’’ and ‘’racist.’’ Quite bizarre really.

Where Badenoch talked herself into a corner was talking about maternity pay being too high. She then backtracked on this. What she genuinely meant I’m not sure, but the problem is that the birth rate is low due to costs, and another of those costs is childcare. At least she acted on her belief as I heard she apparently resigned from a job instead of taking maternity pay.

Back