• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Steve Parish interview

It seems clear to me that Parish knows that we can only attract good prospects to the cub if they believe it can be a gateway to bigger things.
He also knows that the club has to buy assets cheap and sell for a profit on some occasions, or at least get some return in order to compete in the division.
Zaha was an example of neither of those things happening. I guess Parish is trying to emphasise that this was the exception rather than the rule.
I'm sure we will still try to keep our best players until such a time as their contracts are running down and they want to move on.

I would consider it irresponsible to sell too many star players in one window. I hope Parish would know that the financial rewards of any sales would potentially disappear if we were relegated with no guarantee of a speedy return.

What a pompous response, it was a perfect example and completely correct.

Do you honestly think any club would of listened to the Parish interview and thought...hey, maybe they want to sell. £50 - £60m decisions are not made like that, they are done through research plain and simple.

You need to get real, Eze or Guehi will be sold to help pay for the stand. CPFC do not have £100m sloshing around in a bank account ready for a draw down on the new stand. They may have ring fenced the mobilisation stage, but I can assure you that is it. If you build a house, you don't risk your own money. You use the banks and pay it back when you know it hasn't gone pear shaped. That's how business works!!!

Now you are just being stupid in a really weak attempt to make a point. Ward is coming to the end of his career. Eze has his in front of him. Does that really need to be explained?
And yes, whether you agree or not our chairman (thats how you spell it by the way) is mentioning a highly rated player when he had no need to. I've drawn a conclusion that he could be encouraging bids. You choose to think only positive and good things of Steve Parish (thats how you spell Parish) which is naive from a fans point of view. He has more than results on the pitch to think about. As custodian he has to see the bigger picture and be a business man as well as a supporter. He also has to deliver a new main stand, balance the books and appease the other shareholders. It would not be beyond the realms of possibility that he might be looking to cash in. I just dont see what is so hard to understand about that.

Do you honestly think any club would of listened to the Parish interview and thought...hey, maybe they want to sell. £50 - £60m decisions are not made like that, they are done through research plain and simple.

You need to get real, Eze or Guehi will be sold to help pay for the stand. CPFC do not have £100m sloshing around in a bank account ready for a draw down on the new stand. They may have ring fenced the mobilisation stage, but I can assure you that is it. If you build a house, you don't risk your own money. You use the banks and pay it back when you know it hasn't gone pear shaped. That's how business works!!!

Not sure about your analogy. I think you’ll find banks never risk money unless the odds are heavily stacked in their favour. Their risk is reflected in the interest rate and they will only take on that risk if they have sufficient security to cover the loan. It is not optional to pay them back so I’m pretty sure you can’t choose to pay back only if it hasn’t gone pear shaped.

With regard to finance of the stand, if you recall back to when Blitzer and Harris first joined, £55m or thereabouts was discussed as the number being ring fenced for the stand development so unless it has been spent elsewhere that should still be available.

I don’t think there is any doubt that we will be letting a couple of stars per year go as it’s a sound business model to buy cheap(ish) and sell high provided of course you can continually reproduce the same buying skills. Yes, we will need to pay the balance for the stand but unless somebody knows different, we do not know whether that will be owner investment, owner loans, bank loans or cash from sales or perhaps a bit of all of the above.

Personally I couldn’t give a f**k whether Parish was trying to drum up business or not. Everything he said was true and we know that Guehi and Eze will more than likely be sold by this time next year. I like to hear from the chairman occasionally and he always sounds like he knows what he’s doing which is reassuring. I’d like to have been told Nketiah had signed on the day he did rather than 3 days later but that aside the clubs communication has been good.

You've made the correct point that a player of Eze's quality is going to attract interest regardless. This is the exact reason why it is completely unnecessary for Parish to even mention Eze's name. By doing so as well as expressing surprise no one wanted him in the last window is only going to encourage agents to stir interest and clubs to come in for him. Which brings me back to my concern that he's actively trying to drum up interest.

I get what you mean, but I don't think it would really matter what Parish said tbh. I think he was just surprised that no-one did make an offer, but I don't think agents and other clubs would give too much weight to what he said, with that being the deciding factor in going for him. If a club really wanted him, they'd come in with an offer and try and turn Eze's head regardless of whether we said he was for sale or not. I think it more likely that they knew we'd want top dollar for him and that they couldn't mug us off for half price so thought against it. I don't think Parish's interview is saying "half price sale now on" so even if anyone did come in, it wouldn't change how much we want for him.

I could of course be completely wrong and we'll see a firesale in January 😱

Personally I couldn’t give a f**k whether Parish was trying to drum up business or not. Everything he said was true and we know that Guehi and Eze will more than likely be sold by this time next year. I like to hear from the chairman occasionally and he always sounds like he knows what he’s doing which is reassuring. I’d like to have been told Nketiah had signed on the day he did rather than 3 days later but that aside the clubs communication has been good.

Gotta get those social media clips that we all love so much done first, how would we be able to survive the news without them.... 🙄 🤣

Aston Villas Wage bill is almost double ours, West ham is 50% more than ours, at the moment we have Guehi on 50K, Wharton on 35k, Muñoz on 45K and Mitchell on 40k, all deserve more in an ideal word, but if we increased them all to 100k a week it would cost us another 12.5m a year, a fifth of our entire wage bill

Yep and I'm comfortable with that. We've (hopefully) got another season out of them both. If we can get £100-120m for the pair next summer, hopefully by that point Riad / Lacroix / Nketiah / Franca / Kamada / Sarr etc will have established themselves. Then we can reinvest the money we get next summer and the cycle continues.

Only way we're going to progress isn't it.

Yep and I'm comfortable with that. We've (hopefully) got another season out of them both. If we can get £100-120m for the pair next summer, hopefully by that point Riad / Lacroix / Nketiah / Franca / Kamada / Sarr etc will have established themselves. Then we can reinvest the money we get next summer and the cycle continues.

Only way we're going to progress isn't it.

Indeed.

Not ideal, well not for me, but it does seem that our alternative is to sign a few players and hold them ransom, hoping that doesn’t affect their performances or the team’s, pray it translates into success on the pitch but also doesn’t discourage others from joining and us having to spend £50mil+ on individual players to bring in, who may not work out.

Every strategy comes with its risks/downsides. Our current model seems the one best tailored for the club and I’m grateful for it whilst retaining the right to grumble here and there.

Indeed.

Not ideal, well not for me, but it does seem that our alternative is to sign a few players and hold them ransom, hoping that doesn’t affect their performances or the team’s, pray it translates into success on the pitch but also doesn’t discourage others from joining and us having to spend £50mil+ on individual players to bring in, who may not work out.

Every strategy comes with its risks/downsides. Our current model seems the one best tailored for the club and I’m grateful for it whilst retaining the right to grumble here and there.
A pragmatic approach. My reservation is the difficulty of unearthing potential star players so we can act as a feeder club for the big money boys who can then reinforce their preeminence whenever they like.
Is there another solution? If so it's beyond me other than finding some Palace fanatical multi-billionaire backer. Even then they'd probably change the FFP rules to reflect a club's financial performance over the past 20 years.

Can anybody name me a club that became successful by continually selling off their best players?
Mere survival doesn't constitute success in this context.

Whereas in the past I can look at Southampton ( selling Van Dyke, Mane, Llalana, Lambert. Clyne) and West Ham ( selling Defoe, Lampard, Ferdinand, Cole) and seeing their demise in both cases when they looked to be in positions of demonstrating real potential.

I look at Leicester who won the Premier League and sold 3 of their key players in that win - Mahrez, Kante and Drinkwater.
They were subsequently relegated.

I am not suggesting that there are easy answers when players are ambitious and are agitating for moves.
However, this doesn't seem to be the case at Palace and would a move e g to Newcastle for Guehi or Eze for Spurs really be a move to an elite club?

Some on here seem to think we can sell our best players at high prices now and buy cheaper players who in time will be better than those that they replaced.
Just like that.
I'm at a loss to explain the foundation for this belief, but of course I hope that they are right.

Can anybody name me a club that became successful by continually selling off their best players?

Whereas in the past I can look at Southampton ( selling Van Dyke, Mane, Llalana, Lambert. Clyne) and West Ham ( selling Defoe, Lampard, Ferdinand, Cole) and seeing their demise in both cases when they looked to be in positions of demonstrating real potential.

I look at Leicester who won the Premier League and sold 3 of their key players in that win - Mahrez, Kante and Drinkwater.

I am not suggesting that there are easy answers when players are ambitious and are agitating for moves.
However, this doesn't seem to be the case at Palace and would a move e g to Newcastle for Guehi or Eze for Spurs really be a move to an elite club?

Some on here seem to think we can sell our best players at high prices now and buy cheaper players who in time will be better than those that they replaced.
Just like that.
I'm at a loss to explain the foundation for this belief, but of course I hope that they are right.
There is no simple or safe answer for a club our size. For me, the advantage of the current policy is that we get to see young quality players for a few seasons before they move on to bigger things. I much prefer that to our previous policy of buying players who were past their peak who would stay with us until it was time to release them when they were past it.

I think our current system can work whilst ever we play attractive football on the front foot and young aspiring players see us as a catalyst to climbing the ladder to the CL clubs. The onus of the system is very much on Freedman and Co regularly identifying the right quality of replacements, which is no easy task. Some people might point to Brighton as an example but Tony Bloom has sunk a hell of a lot of money into that club and bought a lot of players, many of whom haven't made it. We simply don't have that kind of money and our 'hit' rate has to be high if we are to gradually climb into the top half of the PL table and stay there. Even then the likelihood of our doing a Villa and make the CL is small IMO.

Now you are just being stupid in a really weak attempt to make a point. Ward is coming to the end of his career. Eze has his in front of him. Does that really need to be explained?
And yes, whether you agree or not our chairman (thats how you spell it by the way) is mentioning a highly rated player when he had no need to. I've drawn a conclusion that he could be encouraging bids. You choose to think only positive and good things of Steve Parish (thats how you spell Parish) which is naive from a fans point of view. He has more than results on the pitch to think about. As custodian he has to see the bigger picture and be a business man as well as a supporter. He also has to deliver a new main stand, balance the books and appease the other shareholders. It would not be beyond the realms of possibility that he might be looking to cash in. I just dont see what is so hard to understand about that.

Well done on lowering the tone.

I'm well aware of the difference in career stage, but the point remains. You think that mentioning a player is encouraging bids. I think that SP was talking candidly about the window and its complexities, and that a buying club will do serious data crunching and some sly chats with the relevant agents before bidding.

Of course its not beyond the realms of possibility that he might be looking to cash in. Never said that. Just don't think it was an example of him trying to do so.

Just like that.

Its obviously not an exact science, but that is the aim. Fundamentally we need to find a way to break the staus quo.

Just like that.
You infer that Palace continually sell of their best players, which is far from the truth. The strategy changed about 3 years ago from buying old players with no resale value to young players with potential and a value. This is now a more sustainable policy and enable the growth of the squad strength.
The only top player we have sold in the last 3 years is Olise, who we had no choice, Andersen not really a top player and easily replaced with a younger version.

You infer that Palace continually sell of their best players, which is far from the truth. The strategy changed about 3 years ago from buying old players with no resale value to young players with potential and a value. This is now a more sustainable policy and enable the growth of the squad strength.
The only top player we have sold in the last 3 years is Olise, who we had no choice, Andersen not really a top player and easily replaced with a younger version.
In my view (I note you disagree) Anderson is a top player , one of our best players and joint player of the season last season.
So that's Olise and Anderson gone.
Parish has made it clear that Eze and Guehi may well have gone this past window and many on here seem to doubt that they'll be here this time next season.

If, and I know it's an if, that happens we will have sold off the cornerstone of our team with 4 key players sold.

There seens to be acknowledgement and understanding on this thread that this policy of selling and reinvesting is the way forward.

Which brings me back to the central point raised in my earlier post

Can anybody provide evidence of a club that has been successful ( not merely survived) through this policy i.e selling their best players?
There is evidence where it's failed - Southampton, West Ham, Leicester.

I am not claiming to know the answer by the way.
It's just a point of debate.

In my view (I note you disagree) Anderson is a top player , one of our best players and joint player of the season last season.
So that's Olise and Anderson gone.
Parish has made it clear that Eze and Guehi may well have gone this past window and many on here seem to doubt that they'll be here this time next season.

If, and I know it's an if, that happens we will have sold off the cornerstone of our team with 4 key players sold.

There seens to be acknowledgement and understanding on this thread that this policy of selling and reinvesting is the way forward.

Which brings me back to the central point raised in my earlier post

Can anybody provide evidence of a club that has been successful ( not merely survived) through this policy i.e selling their best players?
There is evidence where it's failed - Southampton, West Ham, Leicester.

I am not claiming to know the answer by the way.
It's just a point of debate.
I don't know why you are asking the question, it's irrelevant. If Eze or Guehi want to go they will go irrespective of whether we want to keep them. Good players, once they have lots of pounds in their account want to win things. What is Eze going to finish his career with if he stays at Palace? A league cup, FA Cup at best, both of which are highly unlikely.

What is he going to tell his grandkids, I was a top player, didn't win anything but I was loyal?

All we can hope for, is an outside chance of a European place. Glasner may consider his best route of achieving this is via a cup, so I expect a full team against QPR.

What other response are you expecting to your original question?

BTW, Leicester were relegated several years after selling their best players.

Back