• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Steve Parish interview

The piece in bold is your opinion which you are totally entitled to. It is however not fact. My opinion, which I am equally entitled to is Parish is Hawking the clubs players. As mentioned before, If he wasn't hawking Eze why even mention him? He wasn't subject of any tranfer speculation so unless you are trying to drum up interest in him why mention him?
As for the clubs we have signed new players from, who cares where they came from? Lombardo came from Juventus, Ian Wright came from Grenwich Borough. Whats your point?
For once, I'm going to agree with est1905!

It's possible to think that Parish has done an overall excellent job (his record surely provides evidence), while at the same time finding the interview strange.

Steve doesn't do things without a purpose.

The message I got is that we're prepared to sell our top players.
This could be a message to interested clubs and/or our fans, but it's a clear message.
Many will see this as a statement of the 'bleeding obvious' and realistic, but in all his time at Palace I can never recall him giving such an interview before.
In fact, he went out of his way to prevent Zaha leaving even after he submitted a transfer request.

The piece in bold is your opinion which you are totally entitled to. It is however not fact. My opinion, which I am equally entitled to is Parish is Hawking the clubs players. As mentioned before, If he wasn't hawking Eze why even mention him? He wasn't subject of any tranfer speculation so unless you are trying to drum up interest in him why mention him?
As for the clubs we have signed new players from, who cares where they came from? Lombardo came from Juventus, Ian Wright came from Grenwich Borough. Whats your point?
You are of course entitled think Parish is Hawking the clubs players. But the fact that you, by proxy, seam to think that this might be a good way to do it where I struggle. All the agents talk and try to engineer moves. If he wanted him gone, there would be a lot more effective channels to achieve it. "He's yours for £50m memo out to the other SDs". Eze does his talking on the pitch, if he wants a move the best way to engineer it is to keep banging goals in, and let his agent go and do what agents do. Not sure he needs any help from SP.

Not saying that you cant have an opinion. I just struggle to see how we've interpreted something very different

Re the other clubs, I'd say you can use it as a barometer of caliber. We are buying established player in top leagues. And not just the odd one here and there, or end of line free transfers. 4 or 5 players, all of the right age profile.

Everyone is, of course, entitled to their opinion but why state MrRobbis opinion is not fact. Have you got proof.Are you saying your opinion is fact then?

I don't subscribe to the view that Parish was hawking our players. Perhaps he was more open about Eze than we would have liked, but I think he was expressing what a lot of us were thinking and no more.

I was certainly one of those that expected Palace to sell a major asset this summer and my money was on Guehi. And I think SP was thinking along those lines too. So the Olise transfer shifted things to the point where Parish could stand firm on a price for Marc because he didn't really want to lose both in this window.

I was a big fan of Joas and was surprised when he left so suddenly, but I think both he and the club got what they wanted from the deal.

You are of course entitled think Parish is Hawking the clubs players. But the fact that you, by proxy, seam to think that this might be a good way to do it where I struggle. All the agents talk and try to engineer moves. If he wanted him gone, there would be a lot more effective channels to achieve it. "He's yours for £50m memo out to the other SDs". Eze does his talking on the pitch, if he wants a move the best way to engineer it is to keep banging goals in, and let his agent go and do what agents do. Not sure he needs any help from SP.

Not saying that you cant have an opinion. I just struggle to see how we've interpreted something very different

Re the other clubs, I'd say you can use it as a barometer of caliber. We are buying established player in top leagues. And not just the odd one here and there, or end of line free transfers. 4 or 5 players, all of the right age profile.
Maybe SP is worried about the negative PR he might have gotten from some of the Newcastle narrative around the Guehi deal?

There were noises around SP upping the asking price every time Newcastle got close to the valuation (whether true or not), sandbagging them over both Freedman and Guehi, and so on. So maybe he is trying to communicate some public terms of reference for future dealings with prospective agents, players, and club officials.

Maybe SP is worried about the negative PR he might have gotten from some of the Newcastle narrative around the Guehi deal?

There were noises around SP upping the asking price every time Newcastle got close to the valuation (whether true or not), sandbagging them over both Freedman and Guehi, and so on. So maybe he is trying to communicate some public terms of reference for future dealings with prospective agents, players, and club officials.
Not sure why, it’s a business, not a popularity contest and I would never expect him to act any different than screw the best deal possible out of the Geordies. We certainly owe them zero favours.

Not sure why, it’s a business, not a popularity contest and I would never expect him to act any different than screw the best deal possible out of the Geordies. We certainly owe them zero favours.
Precisely for business reasons: if in the future a club are considering option A or option B (a Palace player) would people want to deal with Palace all else being equal. Also, would ambitious players see the chairman as a little two faced and keen to hold on to players?

Defo could have had something to do with that.

Its obvisouly not everyone's cup of tea, but I like hearing from the horses mouth how things actually went down. Especially as we all spend a lot of time reading all the rubbish the journos make up

I don't understand the suggestion that Mr Parish (the man who has done more to build our club than anyone else) may have been instrumental in trying to promote the sale of our best player.

Does anyone really think that all those scouts and Dougie Freedman lookalikes out there are completely oblivious to Ebs quality and unaware of his value both to us and potential buyers? Wake up.

Is this the interview that everyone is one about?

If so all he says is that he expected Guehi to go in the window (don't think there were too many people who would have been surprised by that) but the Anderson offer came in along with Riad's injury and that put a halt to it. Think a lot of people on here would have been more annoyed if we had sold Anderson and Guehi, so what's the problem? Think he's been quite open on what was going on there.

With Eze, all he said was that he was surprised that no-one made a bid for him. Well I don't think that's controversial either. I thought after the way the press bigged him up with Olise at the end of the season and then the England call up that we would be fighting other clubs off, didn't anyone else? So I don't think what he's said there is saying "hey you over there, come and buy Eze" more like that he was surprised that no-one tried and frankly, I think most people are.

I think he's just being realistic about where we're at right now. We're not a club that players can't turn down like Citeh and the such like, but if we can get players in, use their rising abilities to further us along and accept that we might have to sell them, well I think that's probably just being honest. Something that we might have to start getting use to until we start knocking on the door of European football, particularly as we've hardly sold anyone for years. As he said in the interview, it's a balancing act between what's right for the club and the player, but most importantly about what's right for the club, which may mean not selling them.

Wow, can't believe some of the crazy comments on this thread.

Parish making a percentage of the profits from a player sale????? He's one of the owners for Christ's sake. He can put the whole lot in his pocket!!!

Concerned about selling players??? Where do you think the £100m for the new development going to come from??? Wise up, of course they need to sell players.

Hawking Eze around?? OMG do you really think other clubs need Parish to alert them to our player???

Wow, can't believe some of the crazy comments on this thread.

Parish making a percentage of the profits from a player sale????? He's one of the owners for Christ's sake. He can put the whole lot in his pocket!!!

Concerned about selling players??? Where do you think the £100m for the new development going to come from??? Wise up, of course they need to sell players.

Hawking Eze around?? OMG do you really think other clubs need Parish to alert them to our player???

That's your opinion. Years ago when ex Palace player Gerry Francis was the Manager at QPR he admitted t
That he wa on a percentage of player sales.
So what makes you think that it doesn't still happen?
Obviously he wouldn't take all of the money from the club. But nothing stops him taking a percentage of player sales.
How do you think agents make their money?

That he wa on a percentage of player sales.
So what makes you think that it doesn't still happen?
Obviously he wouldn't take all of the money from the club. But nothing stops him taking a percentage of player sales.
How do you think agents make their money?
He is the owner!!!!!

If you sell your own house, would you expect to get an agent fee as well.

Back