• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Steve Parish interview

When Olise had the ball last season, it seemed almost inevitable that something would happen. Were it not for the release clause, he would have been a £100m player. You know someone is at another level when the media calls £60 million cheap. We were never going to replace him with someone of the same level. He also knew his value from day one. How many players enter the PL at 19 and demand a release clause?

The potential danger, as others have said, is that you start to believe you have an unfailing truffle pig who will continue to dig up gold. It is going to be a careful balancing act if the club is to pursue a strategy of buy low, sell high, with success rarely coming through a revolving door.

I thought it was an honest and realistic interview. It's a fact that most players come to Palace to progress to bigger teams at present. It takes time to get to that level where we are a destination for players, and if anything, he wants to gain the talent by suggesting this. I don't think that's a hard nor unreasonable concept. We have a youth team that is going from strength to strength, and I'd love to see Jesse Derry head to the first team. Palace is on the up, but it's steady progress and definitely not instant. DF and SP have conjoured a strong group of talented footballers who are part of their respective international teams, youth players out on loan who are actually decent, progress on a stadium upgrade and a manager who I'm pretty positive about.

I thought it was an honest and realistic interview. It's a fact that most players come to Palace to progress to bigger teams at present. It takes time to get to that level where we are a destination for players, and if anything, he wants to gain the talent by suggesting this. I don't think that's a hard nor unreasonable concept. We have a youth team that is going from strength to strength, and I'd love to see Jesse Derry head to the first team. Palace is on the up, but it's steady progress and definitely not instant. DF and SP have conjoured a strong group of talented footballers who are part of their respective international teams, youth players out on loan who are actually decent, progress on a stadium upgrade and a manager who I'm pretty positive about.
Absolutely agree with all this. And we are playing a brand of football that is a pleasure to watch. We are in a much better place than this time last year.

If there were any added motives behind the interview other than an honest summary of where we are as a club, it may have been firstly to counter the Newcastle suggestion that we were taking the p*ss over Guehi, and secondly to tell potential targets that the days of hanging onto players (like Wilf) who might aspire to greater things are gone.

I think you’re right in your assessment on who will form the back three and also and also believe it could be a strong unit.

I have at least initial concerns further forward.
Nketiah and Mateta both like to occupy the same spaces in and around the penalty area.
Neither seem naturally suited to perform the wider roles in the front 3.
It could be that they will share the central role, but I doubt Nketiah has come to play on the bench.
There’s a possibility that Glasner could change the system to play two up front, but my feeling is that he won’t do this.

Olise always contributed goals and assists and these will need replacing statistically to help us win games.
Hopefully between them Nketiah, Sarr and Kamada will contribute to make up the shortfall .

We also have Doucoure coming back which is a bonus from last season.

I’m by no means pessimistic about this season , but as a long term fan I’ve seen it all before in terms of selling our better players and then falling backwards.
The thing i find extremely funny is that we basically play the old W-M formation, invented by Herbert Chapman in 1885 😆 although it is called 3-4-2-1 it is the same.

--------------CF-------------
LW/WB---------------RW/WB
---------IFW----IFW----------
---------HB-----HB-----------
----LC------CH---------RB---
-------------G----------------

The thing i find extremely funny is that we basically play the old W-M formation, invented by Herbert Chapman in 1885 😆 although it is called 3-4-2-1 it is the same.

--------------CF-------------
LW/WB---------------RW/WB
---------IFW----IFW----------
---------HB-----HB-----------
----LC------CH---------RB---
-------------G----------------
Could they pick the ball up in those days?

Back