• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Steve Parish interview

Your depiction of that period last season as 'one big shop window' is an excellent description.
Sadly Wharton looks to be the next to have been propelled into the spotlight with supposedly Liverpool and City tussling over his services.
We could turn into a modern day Southampton, acting as a feeder to the entitled big clubs.
You have to remember that Wharton is totally outstanding, he still has 5 years on his contract, with i suspect no release clause, so we are talking a English transfer record, so you are talking 130m+

I would suggest, for this very reason, our stance on Guehi and that whole situation has stood us well.
Yes, i think the reaction of Parish over the Guehi saga, was more important than the money, and unexpected by me, but pleased, i do not for one minute think that Guehi is worth 75m, but, the stand taken by the club was first class, and correct.

I would suggest, for this very reason, our stance on Guehi and that whole situation has stood us well.
And Steve's stance was one in which he wasn't prepared to have his pants pulled down. On that occasion anyway; in others he might not be so reluctant. Reid all about it.

If you work on the basis that we sell two valuable players each season to progress the club financially then it can work provided we replace them with decent alternatives:

2023/24 Olise £50m. Andersen £28m
2024/25 Guehi £65m. Eze £65m
2025/26 Wharton £80m. Doucoure £40m.

Against a backdrop of this we are hoping, Nketiah and Franca will have turned into top players by then along with, Riad, Lacroix and with Ozoh and JRS coming back off loan as PL ready players, plus perhaps some of the kids coming through.

Jeez, if we can’t do something with all that money plus the money we receive from the league and from Sky we don’t deserve to be in the PL.

Although it’s depressing selling your best players, it’s how you buy afterwards that will continue to define you as a team.

Even though we sold two of our best in Olise and Andersen there is a strong argument we now have a better squad this season than last.

If you work on the basis that we sell two valuable players each season to progress the club financially then it can work provided we replace them with decent alternatives:

2023/24 Olise £50m. Andersen £28m
2024/25 Guehi £65m. Eze £65m
2025/26 Wharton £80m. Doucoure £40m.

Against a backdrop of this we are hoping, Nketiah and Franca will have turned into top players by then along with, Riad, Lacroix and with Ozoh and JRS coming back off loan as PL ready players, plus perhaps some of the kids coming through.

Jeez, if we can’t do something with all that money plus the money we receive from the league and from Sky we don’t deserve to be in the PL.

Although it’s depressing selling your best players, it’s how you buy afterwards that will continue to define you as a team.

Even though we sold two of our best in Olise and Andersen there is a strong argument we now have a better squad this season than last.

Some fans will be appalled with the thought of selling those listed. But feels realistic, and quite likely.

Should give us £100m odd a window to spend. And as you said, if we cant make that work then we only have ourselves to blame.

Sometimes it's what people don't say in such circumstances as Parish's were when giving the interview. He talked little about the club wanting to look after the player's best interests or consulting their wishes. But, as others have said, Guehi is in a much better position now in terms of rumoured interest from City or ongoing interest from Liverpool than he would be being Eddie Howe's 'precious'. Would it be easier for Eze to move to Arsenal from Palace or from Spurs? Who - however hard we might in rather different circumstances have clung onto Wilf - turns down £70m for a player who might even half want away? Just as happened for Olise, dream moves will come the way of many in our current squad and they'll take them and we should not want otherwise. How else, anything else apart, is space opened up for Ozoh or JRS or whichever youngsters Dougie's eying up in the Championship or foreign leagues as we speak? And the knowledge you get those chances playing for Palace and everyone wishes you well as you take them is how he'll sweetheart the best to us rather than losing them to competitors.

Your depiction of that period last season as 'one big shop window' is an excellent description.
Sadly Wharton looks to be the next to have been propelled into the spotlight with supposedly Liverpool and City tussling over his services.
We could turn into a modern day Southampton, acting as a feeder to the entitled big clubs.
This is the exact strategy (if this is Parish's plan) that concerns me. 1. Like Southampton we'll eventually run out of rabbits. The hat will be empty. 2. I think most fans would rather keep their players longer and struggle on than move up 2 places in the table but become say City's bitch that has to hand over our lunch money every time we have a player they like.

Yes, i think the reaction of Parish over the Guehi saga, was more important than the money, and unexpected by me, but pleased, i do not for one minute think that Guehi is worth 75m, but, the stand taken by the club was first class, and correct.
It was correct but the player transfer market as we all know drives player values in the simplest of ways. Every player's value is determined specifically by how much another club is willing to pay for him.
Comparables are Branthwaite. Everton wanted £65m for a player that didn't even make it into England's squad. He is not as good or as experienced as Guehi. The other obvious one in that position is Harry Maguire. United paid £80m for him 5 years ago now. When you look at it like that £75m for a 23 yr old England defender whos career is on the up that is actually a good price.
Newcastle baulked at the figures being mentioned for him but I guarantee 100% if another club had also been in for him (say Liverpool) then Newcastle would have either paid the money without argument or walked away.
The only reason the became arrogant over the whole thing was because they believed they were the only show in town. Next time they will definitely have competition for Guehi (if they are back in for him) and they will probably not get him.

This is the exact strategy (if this is Parish's plan) that concerns me. 1. Like Southampton we'll eventually run out of rabbits. The hat will be empty. 2. I think most fans would rather keep their players longer and struggle on than move up 2 places in the table but become say City's bitch that has to hand over our lunch money every time we have a player they like.
I empathise with this line of thought but maybe we have to trust the owners to make a small improvement in both financial situation and playing squad year on year until we can finally be in a position where we are challenging for a European spot each season.

Whilst hating some of our sales, I look back to 6/7 years ago and have to say there is a lot that has improved during that period and perhaps that the next leap to top 7/8 finish is only a couple of seasons away.

Yes, it could all come tumbling down if we don’t buy well however we have to hope Dougie and Steve continue to identify and entice up and coming talent.

I suppose in a way it is encouraging that the top clubs can’t afford to take risks on up and coming players as they need them as the finished article to carry on competing at the top level. With this in mind, those players have to go somewhere to get to the next level, so why not us.

Although I think a significant part of Southampton(s) downfall was that whilst becoming short of saleable rabbits they also had a number of different owners over a relatively short period of time.

Although I think a significant part of Southampton(s) downfall was that whilst becoming short of saleable rabbits they also had a number of different owners over a relatively short period of time.
That's a valid point about Southampton and the change of ownership, but I posed a question earlier in the thread about when has the policy of selling your best players has ever achieved success.
Nobody has yet provided an answer, although one poster said Brighton might provide an example in the future.

In the this thread various posters have said it's fine to sell as long as the squad is ultimately improved.
And there's the rub.
I may be wrong, but I doubt that our team will be as good this season without Olise and Anderson.
It would be even weaker with the subsequent sales of Guehi and Eze.

Glasner appears to be a clever manager, but ultimately he relies on the tools at his disposal.

Again, I can't claim to have an answer to the conundrum, but I think sustained progress will be difficult if we do sell our key players.

The only real difference with the Southampton analogy, is that their rabbits were all academy products. They got unbelievably lucky with a bunch of gems all after another.

No club has ever got close (except the class of 96) of replicating it.

Southampton potentially assumed that they had the right formula, and was just going to keep churning out worldies.

And they fell out with their chief scout / Director of Football or whatever the title and I forget his name by appointing Hasenhuttl. When he left the rabbit flow stopped abruptly.

And they fell out with their chief scout / Director of Football or whatever the title and I forget his name by appointing Hasenhuttl. When he left the rabbit flow stopped abruptly.
Bad luck to appoint Mr. Rabbit Hutch then lose it's inhabitants.

That's a valid point about Southampton and the change of ownership, but I posed a question earlier in the thread about when has the policy of selling your best players has ever achieved success.
Nobody has yet provided an answer, although one poster said Brighton might provide an example in the future.

In the this thread various posters have said it's fine to sell as long as the squad is ultimately improved.
And there's the rub.
I may be wrong, but I doubt that our team will be as good this season without Olise and Anderson.

Glasner appears to be a clever manager, but ultimately he relies on the tools at his disposal.

Again, I can't claim to have an answer to the conundrum, but I think sustained progress will be difficult if we do sell our key players.
I think we are better now than last year and i am hope for a top 8 finish. i think and hope that when Franca is fit he will be top drawer.

And there's the rub.

We are, of course, in the realm of opinions. My own tuppence worth is that I think we will prove to be stronger as a squad this year once our new players have settled in. IMO the main reasons we miss Olise are:
1. the the way he, Mateta and Eze interacted in the latter part of last season
2. the understanding between Olise and Munoz.
It will be a question of if, and how quickly, our new attacking players can interact effectively with Mateta and Eze (and link up with Munoz).

As for the loss of Andersen, I am hopeful that with both Lacroix and Chalobah on board we will have a stronger and more effective back 3 than we did last season. We need to give the two of them (and Guehi) time to show that (I'm in the camp that expects Richards to be the unlucky one to be benched as I can't otherwise understand why we went for the last minute Chalobah loan of we didn't intend to play him). I, too, may be wrong of course, As always, time will tell.

We are, of course, in the realm of opinions. My own tuppence worth is that I think we will prove to be stronger as a squad this year once our new players have settled in. IMO the main reasons we miss Olise are:
1. the the way he, Mateta and Eze interacted in the latter part of last season
2. the understanding between Olise and Munoz.
It will be a question of if, and how quickly, our new attacking players can interact effectively with Mateta and Eze (and link up with Munoz).

As for the loss of Andersen, I am hopeful that with both Lacroix and Chalobah on board we will have a stronger and more effective back 3 than we did last season. We need to give the two of them (and Guehi) time to show that (I'm in the camp that expects Richards to be the unlucky one to be benched as I can't otherwise understand why we went for the last minute Chalobah loan of we didn't intend to play him). I, too, may be wrong of course, As always, time will tell.
I think you’re right in your assessment on who will form the back three and also and also believe it could be a strong unit.

I have at least initial concerns further forward.
Nketiah and Mateta both like to occupy the same spaces in and around the penalty area.
Neither seem naturally suited to perform the wider roles in the front 3.
It could be that they will share the central role, but I doubt Nketiah has come to play on the bench.
There’s a possibility that Glasner could change the system to play two up front, but my feeling is that he won’t do this.

Olise always contributed goals and assists and these will need replacing statistically to help us win games.
Hopefully between them Nketiah, Sarr and Kamada will contribute to make up the shortfall .

We also have Doucoure coming back which is a bonus from last season.

I’m by no means pessimistic about this season , but as a long term fan I’ve seen it all before in terms of selling our better players and then falling backwards.

I think you’re right in your assessment on who will form the back three and also and also believe it could be a strong unit.

I have at least initial concerns further forward.
Nketiah and Mateta both like to occupy the same spaces in and around the penalty area.
Neither seem naturally suited to perform the wider roles in the front 3.
It could be that they will share the central role, but I doubt Nketiah has come to play on the bench.
There’s a possibility that Glasner could change the system to play two up front, but my feeling is that he won’t do this.

Olise always contributed goals and assists and these will need replacing statistically to help us win games.
Hopefully between them Nketiah, Sarr and Kamada will contribute to make up the shortfall .

We also have Doucoure coming back which is a bonus from last season.

I’m by no means pessimistic about this season , but as a long term fan I’ve seen it all before in terms of selling our better players and then falling backwards.

In agreement. Its a big ask, but in Nketiah, Sarr and Kamada there is quality and goals.

Individually not as good as Olise, but given that he only started 19 games las season, at a minimum, we have some depth and options off the bench.

Share the same concern about Nketiah. He's not come to sit on the bench.

I do get the sense that Glasner can and will stretch his formation tactically. e.g. playing a 353, but in reality Nketiah plays pretty centrally, with Munoz providing the width, and AW/CD doing a lot of the covering on the right.

Back