• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Steve Parish interview

I didn't say he was selling the whole club,I said he was selling players.
Regardless if he is on a percentage or not he was definitely pushing to sell Eze.
That was obvious.

Everyone is, of course, entitled to their opinion but why state MrRobbis opinion is not fact. Have you got proof.Are you saying your opinion is fact then?
I'm not no. Simply pointing out his comment was worded as though this were undisputed. It isn't. I for one disagree. As it seems others do too. I made a point of saying my standpoint is an opinion so I'm not even sure what you are talking about when asking me if I think my view is fact.

Very strange.

Wow, can't believe some of the crazy comments on this thread.

Parish making a percentage of the profits from a player sale????? He's one of the owners for Christ's sake. He can put the whole lot in his pocket!!!

Concerned about selling players??? Where do you think the £100m for the new development going to come from??? Wise up, of course they need to sell players.

Hawking Eze around?? OMG do you really think other clubs need Parish to alert them to our player???
First point, actually no he cant. He'd need permission from the other shareholders to do that (which they'd never give because its wholly irresponsible to simply pocket tranfer money when its needed for future player purchases-even if permission were given he'd only get a share of it.
Second point, Not from any player sales is the answer to that. Well not if Parish is telling the truth and the money for the redevelopment is ring fenced.
Thirdly, Other clubs dont need Parish to alert them to a player but dropping big hints he'd be happy to sell if the price is attractive is certainly going to be helpful to them.

The problem with interviews of this nature is that they feed the frenzy through to the January window.
In the days since the interview, the media has been 'selling' Guehi and Eze all over again, with Wharton now added to the list.
Now this might have happened regardless of the interview, but surely some of the speculation could be dampened with a simple statement that Wharton and Eze are under long term contracts and that Guehi is club captain and we are not interested in selling him.

It may not stop clubs bidding, but at least we go back to where we have been in recent seasons- reluctant sellers who are determined to hold on to assets.

I acknowledge that I don't know the financial position of the club, but I doubt we're worse off than when we managed to stave off bids for Zaha and spend significant money on Cabaye, Sako and Benteke.
I'm not suggesting that buying established players like those mentioned is a good policy.
I'm merely pointing out that we spent a lot of money back then without selling assets.

First point, actually no he cant. He'd need permission from the other shareholders to do that (which they'd never give because its wholly irresponsible to simply pocket tranfer money when its needed for future player purchases-even if permission were given he'd only get a share of it.
Second point, Not from any player sales is the answer to that. Well not if Parish is telling the truth and the money for the redevelopment is ring fenced.
Thirdly, Other clubs dont need Parish to alert them to a player but dropping big hints he'd be happy to sell if the price is attractive is certainly going to be helpful to them.

Yes I'd agree with the first part of that. Whenever we get a good player, you know they're on a lot of manager wish lists for the future and that would be with or without any comments from anyone, although it would seem the pundits in the media work harder than anyone to get them sold. Not like we can hide them away in a cupboard at the training ground (although that might stop Franca getting injured).

However, isn't any player at any club at our "level" up for sale if the price is right? If a club that could offer European Football came in with an £85 million bid for Eze, I don't think any of us would be surprised if he went. So I think that's taken as said really, I think it would be more unbelievable if he said he wouldn't sell him no matter the price!

The days of player loyalty are pretty much dead. No matter how much we like a player, these days they're "here for a good time, not a long time".

The problem with interviews of this nature is that they feed the frenzy through to the January window.
In the days since the interview, the media has been 'selling' Guehi and Eze all over again, with Wharton now added to the list.
Now this might have happened regardless of the interview, but surely some of the speculation could be dampened with a simple statement that Wharton and Eze are under long term contracts and that Guehi is club captain and we are not interested in selling him.

It may not stop clubs bidding, but at least we go back to where we have been in recent seasons- reluctant sellers who are determined to hold on to assets.

I acknowledge that I don't know the financial position of the club, but I doubt we're worse off than when we managed to stave off bids for Zaha and spend significant money on Cabaye, Sako and Benteke.
I'm not suggesting that buying established players like those mentioned is a good policy.
I'm merely pointing out that we spent a lot of money back then without selling assets.

I think that's more for getting clicks on their badly written articles and listening figures for TalkSport than anything else. I can't those in charge of scouting and recruitment at the kind of clubs that would be interested in those players being interested in what the media really say. I know I pay it scant attention at the moment.

I agree with all of this

Yes I'd agree with the first part of that. Whenever we get a good player, you know they're on a lot of manager wish lists for the future and that would be with or without any comments from anyone, although it would seem the pundits in the media work harder than anyone to get them sold. Not like we can hide them away in a cupboard at the training ground (although that might stop Franca getting injured).

However, isn't any player at any club at our "level" up for sale if the price is right? If a club that could offer European Football came in with an £85 million bid for Eze, I don't think any of us would be surprised if he went. So I think that's taken as said really, I think it would be more unbelievable if he said he wouldn't sell him no matter the price!

The days of player loyalty are pretty much dead. No matter how much we like a player, these days they're "here for a good time, not a long time".
You've made the correct point that a player of Eze's quality is going to attract interest regardless. This is the exact reason why it is completely unnecessary for Parish to even mention Eze's name. By doing so as well as expressing surprise no one wanted him in the last window is only going to encourage agents to stir interest and clubs to come in for him. Which brings me back to my concern that he's actively trying to drum up interest.

Surprised no offers for Eze as the media had practically transferred him to Spurs.
Thats true early on. Until it became glaringly obvious that Palace will want top value for him. Levy doesn't pay full value. He's in the business of making money and finishing 4th. He wont pay top dollar for anyone.

Thats true early on. Until it became glaringly obvious that Palace will want top value for him. Levy doesn't pay full value. He's in the business of making money and finishing 4th. He wont pay top dollar for anyone.
A striker was their real need. Once they paid over 60 million for Solanke, there was no way they were going for Eze.

You've made the correct point that a player of Eze's quality is going to attract interest regardless. This is the exact reason why it is completely unnecessary for Parish to even mention Eze's name. By doing so as well as expressing surprise no one wanted him in the last window is only going to encourage agents to stir interest and clubs to come in for him. Which brings me back to my concern that he's actively trying to drum up interest.

Its not going to encourage anything. A club deciding to spend £50m+ on a player will be based on scout reports, countless hours of research, etc

Not because a charmain says he's surprised he didn't have any bids in for him

If Paris has said he was surprised no bids for Ward had come in, would you be jumping to the same hawking conclusion?

Its not going to encourage anything. A club deciding to spend £50m+ on a player will be based on scout reports, countless hours of research, etc

Not because a charmain says he's surprised he didn't have any bids in for him

If Paris has said he was surprised no bids for Ward had come in, would you be jumping to the same hawking conclusion?
Now you are just being stupid in a really weak attempt to make a point. Ward is coming to the end of his career. Eze has his in front of him. Does that really need to be explained?
And yes, whether you agree or not our chairman (thats how you spell it by the way) is mentioning a highly rated player when he had no need to. I've drawn a conclusion that he could be encouraging bids. You choose to think only positive and good things of Steve Parish (thats how you spell Parish) which is naive from a fans point of view. He has more than results on the pitch to think about. As custodian he has to see the bigger picture and be a business man as well as a supporter. He also has to deliver a new main stand, balance the books and appease the other shareholders. It would not be beyond the realms of possibility that he might be looking to cash in. I just dont see what is so hard to understand about that.

Now you are just being stupid in a really weak attempt to make a point. Ward is coming to the end of his career. Eze has his in front of him. Does that really need to be explained?
And yes, whether you agree or not our chairman (thats how you spell it by the way) is mentioning a highly rated player when he had no need to. I've drawn a conclusion that he could be encouraging bids. You choose to think only positive and good things of Steve Parish (thats how you spell Parish) which is naive from a fans point of view. He has more than results on the pitch to think about. As custodian he has to see the bigger picture and be a business man as well as a supporter. He also has to deliver a new main stand, balance the books and appease the other shareholders. It would not be beyond the realms of possibility that he might be looking to cash in. I just dont see what is so hard to understand about that.

In his interview on the club website, Nketiah said he saw that players were coming here and developing and moving up and that's why he saw Palace as a good place to come (as well as the fact we like to play on the front foot and score goals).

We are a transit centre for players who believe they're good enough to play for a CL club and see us as a solid stepping stone to the next level.

Until we're playing regular European football, that's who we are - a stepping stone to greater things.

Back