• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Steve Parish interview

As Ted Lasso said to coach Beard when the fans were slagging him off. “Leave it, it’s their club, we’re just passing through”.
Yep. As Jerry Seinfeld put it about baseball; players come and go. Only the shirt stays. The fans are cheering for laundry.
Football shirts change a bit more often though.

I think now is the best time to be selling Eze if we want maximum money. He is 27 next June and this is his prime years.

So I can to an extent understand why parish is trying to advertise him.

The phrase "busted flush" might be too harsh, but I think some of the changing rhetoric coming from SP over the last few months could be the result of his approach over the last few years.

Players and their agents will know, for example, how he tied Wilf to a long term deal without a release clause and the player ended up arguably missing out on a big move (debatable, I know, but you can see how money motivated agents would spin it).

So now he is adopting a different approach along the lines of "we know you are a fantastic player, we know you are going to be loyal to Palace in the short to medium term, but equally we know you will want to develop your career at one of the world's top clubs at some point. I want to take Palace forward as a club but that might well not be in the shelf life of your best years. So we'll do all we can not to stand in your way if the right club comes in at the right valuation."

All the comments around FC Bayern being a top club in the world, career development, interest in generational talents etc fits this revised approach.

The problem is, it is a house of cards as soon as a club stops identifying, recruiting and then achieving the potential of young players at the same standard as those leaving. Wigan, Southampton, Leeds and many others have all found that out the hard way. Hopefully we do not follow suit.

Last edited:
I think now is the best time to be selling Eze if we want maximum money. He is 27 next June and this is his prime years.

So I can to an extent understand why parish is trying to advertise him.
Was he advertising him or simply echoing what the vast majority of Palace fans (and those of other clubs) thought - namely why didn't anyone bid for Eze in the window? I was shocked that nobody came in for him but pleasantly surprised as I pay my money to see players like Ebs and before him Olise, Wilf, Bolasie etc, and in my early Palace days, Peter Taylor and Hilaire entertain me.

We have maybe 14 players worth over 25m, at least 6 over 50m, 3 years ago all we had was a load of past it players, its been a remarkable turnaround in 3/4 years, Parish and Freedman have been fantastic with our progress, the new stand we be covered, players will come and go, anyone who have supported Palaces for decades will know these are our Golden years.

We have maybe 14 players worth over 25m, at least 6 over 50m, 3 years ago all we had was a load of past it players, its been a remarkable turnaround in 3/4 years, Parish and Freedman have been fantastic with our progress, the new stand we be covered, players will come and go, anyone who have supported Palaces for decades will know these are our Golden years.

It's hard to argue with any of that.

Everything always feels precarious, perhaps it is in football, and the want for more than you have at any time, as a fan, should never be dismissed but I wholeheartedly agree.

We're a different club to the one I'd followed previously, since Parish came in.

I think that’s right. So long as every time a £60m player leaves, it doesn’t take us 3 or 4 games to recover. But that in itself is a learning curve for the manager and the club.

It's hard to argue with any of that.

Everything always feels precarious, perhaps it is in football, and the want for more than you have at any time, as a fan, should never be dismissed but I wholeheartedly agree.

We're a different club to the one I'd followed previously, since Parish came in.
Have they ungraded those sodding toilets yet!?

The phrase "busted flush" might be too harsh, but I think some of the changing rhetoric coming from SP over the last few months could be the result of his approach over the last few years.

Players and their agents will know, for example, how he tied Wilf to a long term deal without a release clause and the player ended up arguably missing out on a big move (debatable, I know, but you can see how money motivated agents would spin it).

So now he is adopting a different approach along the lines of "we know you are a fantastic player, we know you are going to be loyal to Palace in the short to medium term, but equally we know you will want to develop your career at one of the world's top clubs at some point. I want to take Palace forward as a club but that might well not be in the shelf life of your best years. So we'll do all we can not to stand in your way if the right club comes in at the right valuation."

All the comments around FC Bayern being a top club in the world, career development, interest in generational talents etc fits this revised approach.

The problems is, it is a house of cards as soon as a club stops identifying, recruiting and then achieving the potential of young players at the same standard as those leaving. Wigan, Southampton, Leeds and many others have all found that out the hard way. Hopefully we do not follow suit.
TBF Wilf and his agent could have insisted on a release clause before signing a new contract. All the power, these days, are with the player and agent

Was he advertising him or simply echoing what the vast majority of Palace fans (and those of other clubs) thought - namely why didn't anyone bid for Eze in the window? I was shocked that nobody came in for him but pleasantly surprised as I pay my money to see players like Ebs and before him Olise, Wilf, Bolasie etc, and in my early Palace days, Peter Taylor and Hilaire entertain me.
I don’t think he was advertising him. Maybe we should thank Southgate for playing Eze as a wing back in the Euros

I just find any negativity around the interview insane. I genuinely dont know how so many people interpret something so differently. It was a refreshing and honest, pragmatic interview from our chairman. When do you every even hear from any other chairman?!!

A lot of people hold onto this idea that these player all have to love our club. Its insane. Sure, they can like it, and in time may love it, but lets be honest, its a job. And when they are deciding on whether to join, they will be thinking about money, location, playing style, progression (at us and after). We all know that, and Steve knows that.
So looking at some of the bits that ya'll had issues with:

Selling Anderson for 30m. Sounds like an out of the blue bid, on a player who is almost 29, and not far off the start of the decline. Absolute no brainer to accept that one.

Steve knows Guehi's stock was high and bids were going to come in this summer, but Newcastle fecking around, then the Joa bid and the Chadi injury meant that he became even more valuable to us in those last few days.

Eze, we are all probably a bit surprised that nobody bid for him. Thats not hawking him out, that being honest. He's brilliant, we all know he's brilliant. If he wanted to hawk him out he'd be calling all the other chariman and super agents.

And saying that we are not in the CL, but want to be. And until we are there we need to appreciate that some players ambitions may be above our current reality. How can anyone have issue with that. Its the truth. And the best way to get there is by doing what we are trying to do. Develop players, sell for high fees and buy better players.

This window we've signed a player from Lazio, Wolfsberg, Arsenal, Marseille, Betis/Barca. If that isn't an indicater of how far we have come i don't know what is!

Progress is never going to be completely linear, but selling players at the right point and slowly upgrading the squad seams a sensible way to move forward.

Can’t see how advertising the required price can be anything other than an invertation to buy. Regardless can’t see why he see’s the need to do it. Few chairman would.
Every window now is going to be hold your breath time for the fans, just waiting for someone to bite

I have been critical of SP in the past but this is nonsense
I dont think its nonsense at all. Parish was gushing about what nice people Newcastle's owners are and he was practically apologetic that a deal didn't get done. As for Eze, if he isn't interested in selling him why even mention him? Saying he is surprised no one has bid for him makes it pretty obvious he was expecting (maybe even hoping for) offers for Eze.
None of us are idiots when it comes to Palace's place in the food chain but there's talking up your players and then there is hawking them. This felt 100% to me like the latter. Disappointing.

As for him/Freedman being on a percentage of player sales, I would be surprised as well as disappointed if that were true. Cash incentives for LOSING our best players would be truly ridiculous as well as counter productive. I cannot see Glasner sticking around if this were the case and we start losing big players every window as a result. Lets not forget OG left Frankfurt largely because of disagreements with their owners over recruitment and player departures.

I just find any negativity around the interview insane. I genuinely dont know how so many people interpret something so differently. It was a refreshing and honest, pragmatic interview from our chairman. When do you every even hear from any other chairman?!!

A lot of people hold onto this idea that these player all have to love our club. Its insane. Sure, they can like it, and in time may love it, but lets be honest, its a job. And when they are deciding on whether to join, they will be thinking about money, location, playing style, progression (at us and after). We all know that, and Steve knows that.

Selling Anderson for 30m. Sounds like an out of the blue bid, on a player who is almost 29, and not far off the start of the decline. Absolute no brainer to accept that one.

Steve knows Guehi's stock was high and bids were going to come in this summer, but Newcastle fecking around, then the Joa bid and the Chadi injury meant that he became even more valuable to us in those last few days.

Eze, we are all probably a bit surprised that nobody bid for him. Thats not hawking him out, that being honest. He's brilliant, we all know he's brilliant. If he wanted to hawk him out he'd be calling all the other chariman and super agents.

And saying that we are not in the CL, but want to be. And until we are there we need to appreciate that some players ambitions may be above our current reality. How can anyone have issue with that. Its the truth. And the best way to get there is by doing what we are trying to do. Develop players, sell for high fees and buy better players.

This window we've signed a player from Lazio, Wolfsberg, Arsenal, Marseille, Betis/Barca. If that isn't an indicater of how far we have come i don't know what is!

Progress is never going to be completely linear, but selling players at the right point and slowly upgrading the squad seams a sensible way to move forward.
So true.
IMO this last window has left us with an overall stronger squad. Yes we've lost Olise, who we would have loved to have kept but we were always only a stepping stone for him to greater things. We knew that when we signed him and accepted the first release clause.

Andersen, by his own admission was looking for greater security and a 5 year deal from Fulham - a club he knows from his previous loan spell there - was a no brainer as it secures his future until he's 33. We were never going to offer him that as not only is that contrary to our current policy regarding players nearing 30, Andersen wasn't important enough to us to make him an exception. IN any event, I expect Lacroix will be at least as good as Andersen and possibly better.

Most chairmen keep quiet and many fans think they all should but Parish has established himself as a leading voice for the clubs outside of the so-called Big 6. He, in the main, tells it as it is.

According to the omniscient Fabrizio Romano Eze's release clause comes back into effect next year (seems a complicated contract if true) so maybe SP is trying to maximise income knowing he's likely to leave.

The piece in bold is your opinion which you are totally entitled to. It is however not fact. My opinion, which I am equally entitled to is Parish is Hawking the clubs players. As mentioned before, If he wasn't hawking Eze why even mention him? He wasn't subject of any tranfer speculation so unless you are trying to drum up interest in him why mention him?
As for the clubs we have signed new players from, who cares where they came from? Lombardo came from Juventus, Ian Wright came from Grenwich Borough. Whats your point?

Back