• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Sentences too harsh!

When the context is different then the deterrent element of the sentence will not be the same.

Political promises to be tough on crime has seen longer sentencing for several categories, including violent disorder, which is causing the pressure in the prisons. There has been a report by retired Judges about this today.
So the two tier system is then clarified. At least we know now.

An Algerian went on a throat slashing spree just outside of Valéncia.

probably not statistically significant ? Imagine a fella from that country who got a light sentence for carrying a knife, and then going on to stab a bunch of Primary schoolkids ?
Its a shame he didnt write some hurty words online. Might have been banged up in jail that week ?

Last edited:
When the context is different then the deterrent element of the sentence will not be the same.

Political promises to be tough on crime has seen longer sentencing for several categories, including violent disorder, which is causing the pressure in the prisons. There has been a report by retired Judges about this today.
Context? What the stuff has context got to do with it? Don’t you mean the political beliefs of the perpetrator?

Question is, when it is so hard to get police in London to respond to anyhting why did so many turn up at this sandwich shop. Multiple small shops in London are robbed everyday of good worth much more than a sandwich and no one responds so I am genuinely interested why this had so much resource allocated in response
Newly gained Labour seat probably

O’Sullivan’s First Law: All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing.

Judges are products of the legal profession and hence the universities, which had been turning left since....I'd say the sixties, initially slowly but were totally captured by the 2000s.

I'd imagine that being a judge who isn't part of that socially liberal consensus is as difficult now as being a ring wing teacher.....which I can tell you involved keeping quiet on politics (which I actually had no problem with because I agree with you that the job requires neutrality)
wow what a rant.

I presume you meant right wing teachers.

I don't think you understand the criminal system in this country. We have 2 types of court - magistrate and crown, only the latter has a jury and a legally qualified judge. The former is run by volunteer judges (there are usually 3 per court) and they have no formal legal training.

Most of the rioting cases thus far have been heard at Magistrate courts.
A judge can decide if a person is guilty or not - remember many of the rioters did plead guilty - however, the penalty is not made up. For each offence there are guidelines that must be adhered to so a judge can't just make up a sentence.

For like for like offences such as looting the sentences seem quite similar to those handed out in 2011, when we last had riots throughout the country.

wow what a rant.

I don't think you understand the criminal system in this country. We have 2 types of court - magistrate and crown, only the latter has a jury and a legally qualified judge. The former is run by volunteer judges (there are usually 3 per court) and they have no formal legal training.

A judge can decide if a person is guilty or not - remember many of the rioters did plead guilty - however, the penalty is not made up. For each offence there are guidelines that must be adhered to so a judge can't just make up a sentence.

For like for like offences such as looting the sentences seem quite similar to those handed out in 2011, when we last had riots throughout the country.
But magistrate courts can only impose a maximum sentance of 6 months, the majority are going down for 2 years plus. Has there been a change in the law that has not been reported or are the sentances illegal and now open to appeal?

But magistrate courts can only impose a maximum sentance of 6 months, the majority are going down for 2 years plus. Has there been a change in the law that has not been reported or are the sentances illegal and now open to appeal?
I believe it is 6 months and increased to 12 if more than one offence. It goes to the Crown Court if the Magistrates Court consider a longer sentence is required.

wow what a rant.

There has been something dodgy about this because the exact same judges in these magistrates courts have sentenced people at the riots and on social media for longer than they have sentenced nonces and rapists. Often they haven’t threatened lives at all. I have posted the cases and judges on here.

Last edited:
I watched an elderly lady buy some eggs from a shop this morning. I naturally assumed she was going prepared to some Far Right event, so I sent a photograph of her, and her address, the name and address of her employer, and family details to some red-top media outlets.

Maybe a few years in the cells will give her time to reflect.

I watched an elderly lady buy some eggs from a shop this morning. I naturally assumed she was going prepared to some Far Right event, so I sent a photograph of her, and her address, the name and address of her employer, and family details to some red-top media outlets.

Maybe a few years in the cells will give her time to reflect.
I hope you also reported the shop owner as an accomplice for selling such weapons.

Want I want to know is were they brown eggs or white eggs and would the sentence be different in each case.

There has been something dodgy about this because the exact same judges in these magistrates courts have sentenced people at the riots and on social media for longer than they have sentenced nonces and rapists. Often they haven’t threatened lives at all. I have posted the cases and judges on here.

Nonces and rapists would almost certainly go directly to a crown court (with a jury) so it will be a different judge. So you are not comparing 'apples with apples'.

Most people involved with the rioting have been charged with violent disorder. This carries a maximum sentence of 5 years. Most people i've seen have been sentenced to 2 to 3 years, so nowhere near the max.

Most rapists don't seem to even be taken to court, and when they do they often get off, but that's a different issue.

Nonces and rapists would almost certainly go directly to a crown court (with a jury) so it will be a different judge. So you are not comparing 'apples with apples'.

Most people involved with the rioting have been charged with violent disorder. This carries a maximum sentence of 5 years. Most people i've seen have been sentenced to 2 to 3 years, so nowhere near the max.

Most rapists don't seem to even be taken to court, and when they do they often get off, but that's a different issue.
I have supplied the different cases and the same judge on this forum in multiple examples. The main judge doing the televised sentencing was one of them. It is a fact. The nonces and rapists were given suspended sentences or no sentence at all. The people at the riots were fast tracked to prison, by the same judges.

Back