• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Sentences too harsh!

So five years for having a weapon. That'll be half of Croydon inside for half a decade then Judge Starmer.

He had plenty of 'previous'.

He added to the fire against the building and smashed windows, all on camera so it's not as if he has a defence.

Merit ? What or who decides merit.
If it is people like 2TK then my post holds water.
It’s solely the CPS who determine merit. Usually only whether the evidence is sufficient for there to be a reasonable chance of a conviction, the purpose being to save court time. Occasionally they may bring a case because of an overwhelming national interest means it needs to be heard. Nothing to do with politics.

It’s solely the CPS who determine merit. Usually only whether the evidence is sufficient for there to be a reasonable chance of a conviction, the purpose being to save court time. Occasionally they may bring a case because of an overwhelming national interest means it needs to be heard. Nothing to do with politics.
I wonder if there's any reason people think Starmer might have some influence within the Crown Prosecution Service? Presumably just a conspiracy theory. How could he possibly be linked whatsoever?

Fair enough. I do understand. I don't blame people for moving to Spain for cheapness or weather but I've personally never heard anyone say it was about immigrants. Being where it is I would have presumed Southern Spain and possibly some islands at least have a larger illegal immigrant problem than the UK. But, alas, just presumption based on anecdotal evidence as I haven't written a PhD on it. I'm not quite sure they'll fund me for it.
Here in Alicante, there is a large populace of Algerians(you can get a direct Ferry from Algiers
to Alicante once a week & it's busy). We don't have small boats arriving like Kent, tho further south in Costa de Sol it might be different. Most ex-pats i've met have intergrated very well & speak surprising good Spanish(i'm getting there). Glaziers view is from the 60's & 70's when criminals fled the UK to hold up in Spain, Ronnie Biggs, Buster Edwards & the like.

The great thing is, you HAVE to abide by their laws, their customs(or at least not mock/destroy them), if not, kicked out, no faffing around, no appeal(in most cases). Totally unlike soft Britain.

Here in Alicante, there is a large populace of Algerians(you can get a direct Ferry from Algiers
to Alicante once a week & it's busy). We don't have small boats arriving like Kent, tho further south in Costa de Sol it might be different. Most ex-pats i've met have intergrated very well & speak surprising good Spanish(i'm getting there). Glaziers view is from the 60's & 70's when criminals fled the UK to hold up in Spain, Ronnie Biggs, Buster Edwards & the like.

The great thing is, you HAVE to abide by their laws, their customs(or at least not mock/destroy them), if not, kicked out, no faffing around, no appeal(in most cases). Totally unlike soft Britain.
The 2 levels of Spanish police don’t mess around like ours. Plus you have to work for 5 years before you can claim benefits, although I bet that changes if granted asylum.

An Algerian went on a throat slashing spree just outside of Valéncia in early August.

Irrespective of what your views of the early release scheme are, look at the original sentences handed to these 2 scumbags, compared to the sentences given to the rioters.
You will now have 2 women who will be looking behind them for ever more.

What the hell are you on about? The same crime is the same crime.
When the context is different then the deterrent element of the sentence will not be the same.

Political promises to be tough on crime has seen longer sentencing for several categories, including violent disorder, which is causing the pressure in the prisons. There has been a report by retired Judges about this today.

Back