• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Liverpool Match thread?

Must admit never felt Hughes was that good. However this season and particularly today I realise how good he is for Palace. May not be the most talented but puts in such effort. Really tries hard. Gotta respect that as don't get it from too many Palace players at the moment

Must admit never felt Hughes was that good. However this season and particularly today I realise how good he is for Palace. May not be the most talented but puts in such effort. Really tries hard. Gotta respect that as don't get it from too many Palace players at the moment
One of my favourites! Always smiling, always putting in a shift. His positive attitude not affected whether he is in the starting 11, coming in as a sub or remains benched.

Leicester only need to lose by a single goal away to Bournemouth (which they will) for us to go above them.

OK, I agree with the pundits that Southampton are starting to look good now but surely they will come away from Highbury pointless. Yes OK they have one of the best keepers in the EPL and in Sugawara and Onuachu they have two players who could walk into a Champions League team without looking out of place.

And as for Wolverhampton, I think they have an R next to their name already. Brentford will put 3 or 4 past them today. OK they have some top players and are bedding in their new signings and those coming back from injury but I'm not buying into these 3 young Brazilian lads Gomes, Andre and Cunha everyone seems to be raving about, although Cunha does look a class act, albeit with a £55m transfer fee.

Leicester look good though and should finish mid-table with Vardy firing again now. And have Everton really turned it around as everyone is saying? Good team though.

And with us thrown in, it makes up this mini-league of 5 teams that has developed down there and taking everyones attention.

Although we will finish 9th-12th, absolutely no chance of us finishing below that.
I hope you are right, it is starting to look like Vieira all over again, Formation, Formation, Formation.

Another wasted opportunity to pick up points. Yes, Liverpool should have scored more but they didn’t. We had 3 or 4 good opportunities to score but the shots were straight at Allison.

You could look at every game this season and say the same thing. Our finishing is poor.

I think we need to get Wharton away from being part of a midfield two. It’s too much for him. We need to go back to a back four and either go four across the middle and two up top, or play Wharton Hughes and Lerma in midfield with Eze sat behind a front two.

Good players put the guilt edged chances Eze's had over the last 3 games away. Average players don't.

I agree that Hughes made a big difference, problem is he collects yellow cards every time and in reality, he is more a Championship quality player than Premier league - we were completely overrun in the midfield in the first half and unable to hold the ball or string 2 passes together in a holding pattern thereafter. Can't win games like that, because our defence is always under too much pressure, nervy and exposed. We don't have the right players for the Glasner formation - whatever that is?

Oh great, we lose & yet again blame Mitchell. Get a grip people, who would you put there instead, right now? Maybe one of you you, seeing as you all know better, jeez.

We lost, we expected to lose, we expected the ref would give them most decisions, OG played the players we wanted him to play, but no, it's Mitchell's fault. I despair.
I’m not sure why you’re being so protective of Mitchell. He had a very poor game where at least 4 of his crosses (when we were in great positions) were plain awful. In fact I don’t remember anything positive from him today. He seems to cross it without being aware of his team mates positions and probably just crosses his fingers. Like it or loathe it with Glasner’s current formation, this is becoming a real problem for us on the left. I agree we don’t have many options there and I blame Parish and Freedman for that!

Yes other players also had bad games and they get called out. Clyne for example looked distinctly rocky at times. Mateta and Hughes were both excellent and I can see other players improving.

Suck it up mate.

Last edited:
To summarise. The problem is that:
  • We sold the wrong goalkeeper
  • The fullbacks aren't up to it
  • We sold the wrong central defender
  • The central defenders we have aren't good enough
  • Mitchell can't attack or cross
  • Our midfield isn't creative enough
  • Our midfield isn't combative enough
  • Wharton is carrying an injury
  • Eze is off form
  • The left side is weak
  • Munoz is tired
  • Kamada is a weak link
  • The strikers can't score
  • The formation is wrong
  • The substitutions are wrong
  • We don't have adequate replacements
  • Hughes gets booked too often
  • Glasner is too inflexible
  • We didn't buy what we needed in the window.
Luckily we have two weeks off which should be plenty of time to sort things out.

To summarise. The problem is that:
  • We sold the wrong goalkeeper
  • The fullbacks aren't up to it
  • We sold the wrong central defender
  • The central defenders we have aren't good enough
  • Mitchell can't attack or cross
  • Our midfield isn't creative enough
  • Our midfield isn't combative enough
  • Wharton is carrying an injury
  • Eze is off form
  • The left side is weak
  • Munoz is tired
  • Kamada is a weak link
  • The strikers can't score
  • The formation is wrong
  • The substitutions are wrong
  • We don't have adequate replacements
  • Hughes gets booked too often
  • Glasner is too inflexible
  • We didn't buy what we needed in the window.
Luckily we have two weeks off which should be plenty of time to sort things out.

apart from that we are doing quite well!

We’ll be fine. On another day Eze would have put that chance away and we’d have got a draw against a very good team.

Out of interest, does anyone have any views on why Guehi didn’t stick out a leg to try to block the cross which led to their goal? It may have been brain freeze or a balance thing but it looked like he watched it pass by and wished it well.

We’ll be fine. On another day Eze would have put that chance away and we’d have got a draw against a very good team.

Out of interest, does anyone have any views on why Guehi didn’t stick out a leg to try to block the cross which led to their goal? It may have been brain freeze or a balance thing but it looked like he watched it pass by and wished it well.
Yes, because he is completely overrated

Maybe in comparison to last season's ending it just as simple as we had 2 marquee players working together, now we only have one marquee player and he seems to be off the boil - possibly because his mate was doing all the heavy lifting. Eze can be a joy to watch, but so far this season his productivity and decision making is piss poor and we have no one else to take up the slack. I guess the club hoped Eddie would be that guy, and hopefully he will be, given time?

I wonder if Glasner watches games of opposition before we play them. In a number of recent games we have a 2 man midfield against a 3 man midfield and get overrun, then the defence is under pressure.

I've always said he's like Jimmy Mac - what he lacks in ability he more than makes up for in sheer grit and determination - especially when out backs are to the wall. Has the same love of yellows too; but sometimes 'taking one for the team' really is the best defence.

Back