• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Joachim Andersen sale agreed?

We've sold our best player ((Olise) and we're about to sell our joint player of the season (Anderson).
I really can't see how that makes us stronger at the moment.
Of course there could be a grand master plan and we may become a better team in due course.
However, this is not a given.

To Fulham?
There has been no indication that he wanted to move on. I suspect we are just cashing in with a view to signing a cheaper, potentially better player or players.
You are being a bit naive now. Who knows what was discussed behind closed doors.

He is on a decent wage at Palace, c£75k a week, and it appears Fulham will give him a decent increase to push this over £100k.

I suspect Palace didn't feel say a 4 year contract extension matching those terms was good long term value.

The bloke is Danish he has no loyalty to us, but has served us well. If he didn't want to go the deal wouldn't get done, it's that simple. He is clearly keen on the move, if only for financial reasons

Unfortunately its all about the business and not the player, the two year syndrome, you cannot let a valuable asset get into less than two years left on his contract, 1 he has too sign a new contract or be sold, 2 as soon as you get beyond that his value drops, 3 you leave yourself open to the player and agent saying, only one year left, see it out, go for free, and we get the transfer money, all clubs our size are in the same boat, you have to run the club with your head and not your heart
That's the truth of it Lanzo. We fans may not like it but football is now business first, the football itself second for the vast majority of clubs. If both Andersen and Guehi go in this window we are probably looking at Riad-Richards-Clyne/Lerma as our 3 CBs until any new CBs are bedded in. That doesn't worry me as Riad looks decent and seems better in the air than either of the two who could be leaving. Glasner may well ask Lerma to play CB for a while given the other options he has in midfield.

Finally, even if the clubs have reached agreement in principle for Andersen, we don't know whether the player wants the move.

I suspect, as others have alluded to, that its to do with both the economics and the wishes of both players; Olise clearly wanted to have his release clause triggered and BM is in many ways a logical next step. Little Palace could do about it I reckon. Re Andersen, maybe at 28, the offer Fulham made was too good to turn down especially if they had turned his head with the salary offered. Equally, who knows if Andersen had turned down contract extensions so placing Palace in an awkward situation?

From memory, he cost around £17m so not a bad return from a pure financial perspective.

You are being a bit naive now. Who knows what was discussed behind closed doors.

He is on a decent wage at Palace, c£75k a week, and it appears Fulham will give him a decent increase to push this over £100k.

I suspect Palace didn't feel say a 4 year contract extension matching those terms was good long term value.

The bloke is Danish he has no loyalty to us, but has served us well. If he didn't want to go the deal wouldn't get done, it's that simple. He is clearly keen on the move, if only for financial reasons
No. People are speculating with no evidence to back it up. That is what I'm also doing. The difference is that I admit that and don't pretend to be the oracle of all Palace inside information.

Joa figured that this was his best opportunity to get a big pay day at this stage of his career.

From Palace's perspective, his transfer value is arguably at its peak.

Financially then it looks a no brainer.

From a footballing point of view - with the Guehi issue still live, I don't think it's ideal.

Although he had a bit of a stinker on Saturday, I'm happy to keep Guehi until January while any new recruit CB's settle in.
He is the captain after all.
For some reason, I'm not overly disappointed to see Andersen go.
A good footballer but not a fighter.

No. People are speculating with no evidence to back it up. That is what I'm also doing. The difference is that I admit that and don't pretend to be the oracle of all Palace inside information.
Why do think he is going then, to be nearer the River.

Really? Bad business in my opinion. Especially this late into things and with uncertainty around MG. $30m won't buy you peanuts this days.

Can't for the life of my see why he think Fulham is progression either...we'll almost definitely finish above them this season. I thought Andersen genuinely bled Red and Blue. Disappointed.

A weird, disappointing transfer all round.
I see Joachim as the oomph in the back 3 or 5 and i hope this doesn't come back to bite us.

I love him and Im gutted but his price is only to decrease as his contract gets nearer to ending over the next couple of years and hes not the quickest now so will only get slower. This is the last chance to make a profit on him so can see why we would sell, especially if we can get that Lacroix in.

I agree with you Joe.
He is not quick though and we always look vulnerable from set pieces, which is where he should shine, so I am not that disappointed.
A player who always gives his all and who will now earn more than he could with us.
Onwards and upwards - in Ollie and Dougie I trust!

I can understand a selling position purely from an age perspective alongside a short contract. You wouldn’t want to be entertaining another 4 years at higher wages (which is probably what it would cost to keep him).

I like our current youth policy which allows a player to blossom into full value about mid way through their contracts and then move them on. It was a successful model for Southampton for years and Brentford more recently.

From a fan perspective it’s horrible to see however as a 5-10 year plan it will allow us to build profits year by year and player by player ultimately getting us to a position where we can challenge the top 6.

My prediction pre season was that we would lose two stars before the window closes (turns out it could be three). I have no issue with this however and see defensive replacements as less divisive than at the other end of the pitch and the Olise sale was totally out of our hands.

Our plan is totally reliant on buying well so our most important member of staff is probably Dougie.

If we buy Lacroix, I fully expect Guehi to go in January if he doesn’t go now. A back three of Riad, Richards and Lacroix would not worry me in the slightest with Lerma, Clyne and Holding as cover. I also expect Eze or Wharton to go next summer hopefully not both.

Buying youngsters to sell at maximum value has to be the way forward for our club so as sad as it sounds, we should enjoy the contributions of our young stars whilst we can and not expect them to stay with us like Wilf did.

My hopes that I had that we may push on from last season and challenge for Europe are now firmly gone.

I hoped we may be picking up a couple of players to be bolstering the squad in the last week of the window, now it seems we could be selling both our best two centre backs. £30 million will not seem like a lot of money if we are battling at the wrong end of the table.

I can understand a selling position purely from an age perspective alongside a short contract. You wouldn’t want to be entertaining another 4 years at higher wages (which is probably what it would cost to keep him).

I like our current youth policy which allows a player to blossom into full value about mid way through their contracts and then move them on. It was a successful model for Southampton for years and Brentford more recently.

From a fan perspective it’s horrible to see however as a 5-10 year plan it will allow us to build profits year by year and player by player ultimately getting us to a position where we can challenge the top 6.

My prediction pre season was that we would lose two stars before the window closes (turns out it could be three). I have no issue with this however and see defensive replacements as less divisive than at the other end of the pitch and the Olise sale was totally out of our hands.

Our plan is totally reliant on buying well so our most important member of staff is probably Dougie.

If we buy Lacroix, I fully expect Guehi to go in January if he doesn’t go now. A back three of Riad, Richards and Lacroix would not worry me in the slightest with Lerma, Clyne and Holding as cover. I also expect Eze or Wharton to go next summer hopefully not both.

Buying youngsters to sell at maximum value has to be the way forward for our club so as sad as it sounds, we should enjoy the contributions of our young stars whilst we can and not expect them to stay with us like Wilf did.
Whilst in many respects I agree with what you say and the logic behind it, it also carries it's own risks, the replacements we get in flop and then we are in a far worse situation. If Munoz and Wharton hadn't worked out, we were in a bad place last January, and could easily have gone down.

I would far prefer we don't sell established players to a rival in the last week of the transfer window, hoping that 'player x' who none of us have ever heard of before, is going to be an immediate hit and replacement.

I was hopeful for something better this season, but it seems we are resorting to selling our better players and getting in cheap/free replacements.

I agree in principle but at some point soon, we need to set out our stall to keep players and move on up the table.
Once the new stand is built there will be no reason to sell

Whilst in many respects I agree with what you say and the logic behind it, it also carries it's own risks, the replacements we get in flop and then we are in a far worse situation. If Munoz and Wharton hadn't worked out, we were in a bad place last January, and could easily have gone down.

I would far prefer we don't sell established players to a rival in the last week of the transfer window, hoping that 'player x' who none of us have ever heard of before, is going to be an immediate hit and replacement.

I was hopeful for something better this season, but it seems we are resorting to selling our better players and getting in cheap/free replacements.
You could also argue that the cheap replacements have more potential and might be sold for big profits in two years time. Not every deal comes off but we have certainly got better at it the last 3 or 4 years.

I think as fans we just have to place our faith in Parish, Freedman and Glasner.

What we are seeing is what we as a club signed up for when we stopped buying established PL players who were past their best and keeping them until they were no longer up to it, and moving to a 'buy promising players young, develop them and sell them at a profit and reinvest' model. When we bought Eze in 2020 and Olise, Andersen and Guehi in 2021, we knew that at some point we would sell one or more of them for a profit and reinvest. What is happening now shouldn't be a shock. Andersen's exit was telegraphed when he had that bust up with the fans last season. He presumably wants more than we're prepared to give him, therefore, time for him to go. We move on.

I agree in principle but at some point soon, we need to set out our stall to keep players and move on up the table.
Once the new stand is built there will be no reason to sell
I agree, hopefully we will be building on our financial footing to a point where this can happen. I do think however we will be losing our top players at regular intervals for the next few years at least.

While I would like us to keep our players, selling JA makes sense now.

SP has said that it will be very unlikely that both JA and MG leave.
JA has not said he wanted a move when asked in a TV interview, however he did not answer the question about returning to Fulham, just stating "he is a Palace player with 3 years on his contract".

What I see happening is MG moving to RCB. Riad coming in at LCB and Richards in the centre.
Then the reserves are going to be Ward, Holding then we get a new LCB as cover (Jake Clarke-Salter would be my choice for this position and we have been linked to him previously).

IF then MG was allowed to leave (unlikely but...) then maybe we could get Maxsence Lacroix. I doubt very much we would go in for Chalobah, given Chelsea would over value him at £30m or some such stupid figure.

Also letting a player leave who is not homegrown is not a huge loss. We can then replace him with anyone. If MG left, we would be looking to keep our homegrown quota up. If we replaced Andersen with a home grown player in the squad, then this makes the most logical sense. Having MG play on the right also makes sense as this is his strongest side and we dont spend £14m on a reserve not to play him.

Well if he goes, shame, but can be prone to mistakes and picking up a lot of cards....and had a run in with fans after what I thought was justified criticism of team early last season. Lots of options that could be an upgrade with money received for him.

Back