• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Joachim Andersen sale agreed?

I've been going to Palace for over 50 years and Anderson is possibly the best long passer of the ball from the back that I've seen play for the club.
He's rarely injured and a leader on the field who would probably have been Glasner's choice as captain if Guehi had departed.
He is also probably our most dominant central defender in the air.
Many on here have been acclaiming his partnership with Guehi as one of our finest ever defensive partnerships, particularly from a ball playing standpoint.

Therefore, despite a lack of pace and the occasional error, Anderson has a lot going for him.

The attributes that he offers will be difficult to replace even if financially a deal makes sense for the club.
If he does go we won't get the chance to see how his long passing might have benefited Sarr in getting behind defences.

Seems many weren't 'expecting' this, me being one of them.

Change is always unsettling, Andersen has been pivotal for us at the back, however you have to hope a plan with substance is behind it all.

Could well be the financial model, could be the manager's plans, could be both.

In any instance, my brother sent me the Andersen news as it broke and I said to him "I reckon we'll be around 5-10 games into this season before we really get going'.

I suspect a bit of a change in personnel before then and I wouldn't be surprised if OG wants a bit more pace and ability to control a basketball-like game at the back. We looked (and were) very vulnerable against an underwhelming Brentford side. Andersen didn't look comfortable at all.

Andersen is obviously a quality player, but out and out defending he does struggle sometimes. I know the games changed and even central defenders have to be able to play a bit and he can certainly do that, but when the balls are coming over into the penalty area he’s never filled me full of confidence that he’s going to deal with a cross or stick with his man. So I am a bit undecided how I feel about him going, obviously it’s bad if we haven’t got a replacement lined up, but if we have it might be a good change

Unfortunately its all about the business and not the player, the two year syndrome, you cannot let a valuable asset get into less than two years left on his contract, 1 he has too sign a new contract or be sold, 2 as soon as you get beyond that his value drops, 3 you leave yourself open to the player and agent saying, only one year left, see it out, go for free, and we get the transfer money, all clubs our size are in the same boat, you have to run the club with your head and not your heart

We’re now linked with Arauju from Benfica as well as Lacroix and Chaloboah.
I don’t know anything about the first two of those .
Chaloboah looks to be a good player, but prone to collecting injuries.

I would differentiate this from when Anderson and Guehi joined.
Anderson was Fulham’s best player last time they were in the Premier League.
His quality was there for all to see and I was delighted when he came to Palace.
Similarly, Guehi excelled for Swansea in their promotion push and his potential was clearly evident.

Now it may be that Arauju and Lacroix are equally good, but the lack of familiarity for the majority of the fanbase means there will inevitably be some trepidation as to how they would settle to a new league/country if they join.

Unfortunately its all about the business and not the player, the two year syndrome, you cannot let a valuable asset get into less than two years left on his contract, 1 he has too sign a new contract or be sold, 2 as soon as you get beyond that his value drops, 3 you leave yourself open to the player and agent saying, only one year left, see it out, go for free, and we get the transfer money, all clubs our size are in the same boat, you have to run the club with your head and not your heart
Sadly I think you’re right, we’ve got valuable assets at the moment who won’t be valuable in the future if they don’t sign new contracts, and even then players are getting older which obviously diminishes their value

The concern for me is Andersen is clearly the dominant figure in the backline. He's the most vocal, the biggest and the most physical. He's also very good at winding up the opposition forwards to throw them off their game. He wasn't great in pre-season or in our opening game, so whether his head has been turned and that's the issue, who knows. He does look more like a West London player with his locks of golden hair, natty clothes and swagger. Maybe he wanted to make use of their ground's new swimming pool?

Riad has a similar profile in terms of height, build and passing ability, but it'll likely take him time to settle. On the positive side, if we are going to continue with such a high press then we definitely need someone quicker than Andersen at the back, like Spurs have with va de Ven.

The biggest concern of course is how Glasner feels about all this. He has a history of leaving clubs when he feels like he's being left out of the loop, so I just hope the club are at least including him in the decision-making process as the biggest loss right now would probably be him. If Joa goes we could really do with a signing that would lift the fans' spirits.

My source at Fulham told me last weekend that this was happening. I was surprised given that Guehi looks to be on the move too.

I've mixed feelings about it.

I always thought we would sell Guehi this summer, and given his absence at the end of last season I wasn't too concerned. It would also generate a decent transfer kitty.

So I anticipated the back three being built around Andersen, Richards and whoever we brought in.

Last Saturday's performance by the defence didn't resemble anything like what we saw in that late run last year. But then as a team, those heights were not reached.

My thoughts are that OG wants more pace in that back line. Andersen doesn't have that, nor Richards to a lesser extent.

The fee could be good business but that won't be proven until we see who comes in and how they perform.

At the moment it feels to be like typical Palace. We had a glimpse of what was possible in April and May which gave me high hopes for this season. Those hopes are taking a bit of a bashing at the moment.

We’re now linked with Arauju from Benfica as well as Lacroix and Chaloboah.
I don’t know anything about the first two of those .
Chaloboah looks to be a good player, but prone to collecting injuries.

I would differentiate this from when Anderson and Guehi joined.
Anderson was Fulham’s best player last time they were in the Premier League.
His quality was there for all to see and I was delighted when he came to Palace.
Similarly, Guehi excelled for Swansea in their promotion push and his potential was clearly evident.

Now it may be that Arauju and Lacroix are equally good, but the lack of familiarity for the majority of the fanbase means there will inevitably be some trepidation as to how they would settle to a new league/country if they join.

Absolutely.

'Faith' can be a little hard to come by in the world of football fandom but sometimes it's not an option. Like I say, I still expect a few changes before window close and I think it may be a bit of time before we see the full picture of the manager/boards plans. Let's hope it's a Glasner model we're all on board with. COYP.

Not convinced this makes much sense as he is one of the senior players at the club and a leader on the pitch.

Maybe he wants to go or maybe it is that we need to sell to bring more in. If we need to sell then one has to ask where the Olise money has gone...

Do we need money to pay of Textor as he looks to sell up and buy Everton or is it to pay for he new stand?.

Or maybe we have something better lined up!

Ideal scenario for us get Marc to sign a new deal with a 70m release clause which can be activated next summer. Captain the side this season and enhance his reputation more.
Sign Lacroix who apparently is pacey something Joa lacks as we saw on Sunday. As long as Ollie is on board with all this im ok with it. We dont want to piss off our manager so early in his reign. It may be nothing but ive got a feeling Sarr wasn't an OG pick and could spend a lot of time on the bench this season. Ollie must give his blessing to transfers in and out otherwise he'll be off.

Ideal scenario for us get Marc to sign a new deal with a 70m release clause which can be activated next summer. Captain the side this season and enhance his reputation more.
Sign Lacroix who apparently is pacey something Joa lacks as we saw on Sunday. As long as Ollie is on board with all this im ok with it. We dont want to piss off our manager so early in his reign. It may be nothing but ive got a feeling Sarr wasn't an OG pick and could spend a lot of time on the bench this season. Ollie must give his blessing to transfers in and out otherwise he'll be off.
I never believed, and still don't, that OG is the only one who decides on transfers. Imagine that he is no longer at the club for whatever reason. You then have half of a squad that nobody but him would have put together? That's not how a business worth millions works. That's how I would play football manager and even then I would save the current game to go back to it later in case of failure.

From Palace's perspective could this be as as simple as getting him off the wage bill?
Various online sources show him on £80,000 a week. Add in Olise's and Riedewald's wages that's £230,000+ a week.
Or maybe he just wants a move - according to Wiki at his previous five clubs he's never played more than 49 games against 104 for us.

Anderson and Guehi both have 2 years left on their current contracts and neither have signed a new one. The club has had offers for both and while the Fulham offer is acceptable the Newcastle one isn’t as yet but neither has gone so far. Could be the plan is to sell Anderson and keep Guehi. Could be agreeing a fee for Anderson is putting pressure on Newcastle to up their bid for Guehi or forcing Anderson to sign a new deal or go to a side who are not the step up he’d like. We can only guess but the encouraging thing is Olly and Dougie are clearly talking as per the phone call, and we seem to have alternatives lined up. As long as Olly’s “Wow” was a positive one and not a wtf!

Back