• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Joachim Andersen sale agreed?

I'm trying to remove emotion from the situation and look at this philosophically Apparently the fee for Riad was around £15m and the required fee for Lacroix is £17m. So that's £32m, just £2m more than we have apparently agreed to sell Andersen.

If at the start of the window you were offered the chance to basically swap Andersen for those two quicker and younger defenders, would you have taken it? I think I would have. I realise this is making the big assumption that we will sign Lacroix or someone similar.

For me Andersen is a good but not great defender. The biggest positive he brings to our team is his exceptional long passing. However, I did post on here after seeing Wharton a couple of times, questioning whether his passing ability would impact Andersen's future. I guess this is the answer.

I know it feels like we're losing all our favourite players but sadly this is the game we're having to play, as we don't have the money to take on the big boys in any other way than buying and selling at the right time.

If we sell Olise and Andersen for £80m, bring in Kamada, Sarr, Riad and (hopefully) Lacroix for £45-50m, that's quite a big profit and arguably a stronger overall squad.

I don’t get this one at all!

If it was £40 odd million quid I’d say fair enough too good an offer to turn down- but £30 INCLUDING add on’s? I think he makes Fulham a better team and that alone is good enough reason to think twice on this one.

I know he lacks pace - but we will miss his leadership.

Unless OG is happy to move him on and bring in a quicker replacement with the potential to improve us. Fingers crossed.

Maybe they will get both. To be fair to Chalobah, Chelsea were actually a top side when he was in his early 20's so game time would have been difficult, He was out injured for a large part last season but Chelsea fans were claiming he was their best defender at the end of the year. He is almost exactly the same age as Andersen was when we acquired the Dane
Agreed..I like him 👍

Joachim is a leader and a key component of the back three in terms of the range of passing and in terms of his ability in the air. If he were to depart it leaves only Chris Richards as an established dominant aerial defender.

Even if we reinforce with new signings who mitigate against the above, and taking into account Riad who looked good pre season, it takes time for new centre back or back three understandings to develop. We are in an unforgiving league which is tougher than last year given who went down and who came up.

So this would worry me if it happens.

I'm trying to remove emotion from the situation and look at this philosophically Apparently the fee for Riad was around £15m and the required fee for Lacroix is £17m. So that's £32m, just £2m more than we have apparently agreed to sell Andersen.

If at the start of the window you were offered the chance to basically swap Andersen for those two quicker and younger defenders, would you have taken it? I think I would have. I realise this is making the big assumption that we will sign Lacroix or someone similar.

For me Andersen is a good but not great defender. The biggest positive he brings to our team is his exceptional long passing. However, I did post on here after seeing Wharton a couple of times, questioning whether his passing ability would impact Andersen's future. I guess this is the answer.

I know it feels like we're losing all our favourite players but sadly this is the game we're having to play, as we don't have the money to take on the big boys in any other way than buying and selling at the right time.

If we sell Olise and Andersen for £80m, bring in Kamada, Sarr, Riad and (hopefully) Lacroix for £45-50m, that's quite a big profit and arguably a stronger overall squad.
Wish I’d read your post before I did mine Canterbury! On reflection I think you make sense.

But I still feel uneasy about selling good players to our rivals.

Not surprised given Parish's recent statement that he wants the throughput players to be sold "in the right order" and given Andersen's age, we are unlikely to get any more for him than we can in this window. Guehi may also go, of course, if Newcastle up their bid. I expect Lacroix will be joining soon and we'll go for Chalobah as well and still have significant funds left over for other purchases.

I'm shocked by this. I don't think we can let Guehi go (I suspected we were holding on to him until late in the cycle to make sure we kept one of him or Andersen) now that Andersen is looking to leave. If both go this smacks of a Southamptonesque wholesale selloff and that could kill us since we have little bench strength still.

I've read a few opinions from others and am no longer totally freaking out. Lot of good points. I guess I just have to trust that Ollie and Dougie know what they are doing (like I know better? LOL) and see how it shakes out.

It does seem to indicate that this is going to be a building year with a lot of new faces trying to fit into the team. I think we can kill all the hyperbole about high finishes. This seems to be building Ollie's team for the future. I'm willing to entertain the idea I'm wrong if someone can convince me.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised tbh. I thought Anderson would go first chance he got after what happened earlier this year between him and the fans.

30 million + add ons for a player who will be 29 this season is good business.

I'm quite conflicted on this one. He's a good player but, and this is my problem not his, he's somehow not as good as he seems. Even so I'd rather he stayed.
If Lacroix signs and is as good as has been claimed this will look like a masterstroke. If not it's another SNAFU.

Strange, at £30m I'm surprised. If we were happy to sell then we could have easily announced our intentions earlier and got a much higher fee, he's worth it. And it's a bit of a sideways move for him. Very unexpected, though I don't think he's always been so happy at Palace.

I am undecided. I think Andersen is a quality football player. Definitely someone who would not be out of place playing in midfield. I think he has improved as well in his time at Palace. It is not just his long passing but also his short passing and the variety of distribution he possesses. He scored some goals at the start of last season and often puts in quality crosses.
On the other side, although he is mobile, he was (particularly when he first joined) has been beaten for pace but i think of late his positioning has improved and this does not happen as much. He like Guehi does not really get his head on the end of corners and free kicks when we are attacking. Given Olise and Eze do put in quality deliveries this is a definite weakness.
Do we think Guehi is a better player than Andersen or like me there is not much in it and Guehi price is based on the fact he is younger and English ?
I am not familiar with Lacroix but let's hope he has strengths that will make us a better team if we sign him.

So it’s likely both centre backs will go ?

I know Parrish has said it won’t but if somebody now comes in and offers the big money they wanted are they really going to stop him going as well ? I don’t think so.

Strange, at £30m I'm surprised. If we were happy to sell then we could have easily announced our intentions earlier and got a much higher fee, he's worth it. And it's a bit of a sideways move for him. Very unexpected, though I don't think he's always been so happy at Palace.
If we had announced this earlier clubs who we are, presumably negotiating with, would have known we had an extra £30m to spend. Providing we replace seems a logical way of conducting business

Seems an odd choice for Anderson if he goes there given his apparent comments last year about hoping to play for a big team one day. It’s a decent bit of business for Palace though provided Glasner was happy to lose him on the understanding Lacroix is about to join.
Anderson filled in well as leader while Guéhi was injured but I’m guessing/ hoping the plan is to keep Guehi to lead the back three. With Wharton in the team Anderson’s long diagonals won’t be missed too much and his lack of pace and limited aerial ability should be replaced by a young 6ft 3 defender. It’ll be interesting to see what our back 3 is come the end of the window.

A strange one really. Probably a sizeable fee that the club did not expect to receive for a player of his age and contract length. Andersen certainly seemed very happy here especially going by the last interview he gave speaking about his excitement for the current project. A strange situation for him as he probably wasn't expecting to leave nor is it a majorly thrilling prospect (although not a great upheaval considering it's close by and an ex team). Although he could of course still reject the move.

If it does go through I'd assume this means Lacroix is quite far down the line, more so than his manager is letting on. Possibly also leads to a new deal for Guehi with a release clause somewhere around the 75m/80m mark.

There was a story yesterday about Glasner being late for an interview with Austrian press and he said it was due to a long call with Dougie... something along the lines of "so much going on, Wow." Could be a busy couple of weeks.

I've been going to Palace for over 50 years and Anderson is possibly the best long passer of the ball from the back that I've seen play for the club.
He's rarely injured and a leader on the field who would probably have been Glasner's choice as captain if Guehi had departed.
He is also probably our most dominant central defender in the air.
Many on here have been acclaiming his partnership with Guehi as one of our finest ever defensive partnerships, particularly from a ball playing standpoint.

Therefore, despite a lack of pace and the occasional error, Anderson has a lot going for him.

The attributes that he offers will be difficult to replace even if financially a deal makes sense for the club.

Back