• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Crystal Palace V Manchester United match Thread

Was Lacroix's best game today, looked at lot more agressive and some decent long balls. Feels more promising
Lacroix was at fault when Garnacho ran past him and Henderson made an excellent save.
Lacroix's defending was inept at the corner when De Ligt was afforded a free header at the back post.
He did improve in the second half.

Last edited:
Some might argue that we have gone down the drain.

Of course we miss Olise who many might consider to be 'World class' but we also miss Andersen's prowess on the ball, with his diagonal passing out to the flanks and his ability to pass into midfield from the back.
Thus far I have not been overly impressed by Kamada or Lacroix.
Yes we do miss his passing, particularly with Sarr's pace available but Guehi put a couple of good balls out there and hopefully is developing that part of his game.

Well first half we weren’t at the races, second half OG made the changes required and we looked more balanced and we had a greater attacking threat .How many games is that now where Hughes comes on and we start playing the ball about, I think it’s 3 games. He helped rescue a point against Leicester and he gave us more of a presence.

I thought at the end we were going to pinch all 3 points and the United players we’re definitely more cautious in coming forward.You can see OG is tinkering with the side and he is not afraid to make changes early which is a real positive.
Hughes is possibly one of those players who doesn’t look the part in training as much as others but where it matters, in real matches, he is more useful and needed.

Agree on the Hughes point.. It's a tricky one as he struggles to play 90 minutes, mostly down to the fact that he's at real risk of picking up a second yellow card so it's a choice between starting him or bringing him in when we are performing like we did tonight.
He did grab hold of the game though and gave us a bit of stability in the middle of the park.

Next Saturday at Goodison will be interesting.. Two teams who both expected to start the season far better than they have meet eachother... It's a bigger game for them than it is for us, however we really should be eyeing this game as our first 3 point game of the season. If we do win I can genuinely see Dyche getting sacked.

Six of us going up for an overnighter in Liverpool so I can't wait personally!
Good point.

Not sure if you watched it live and got a different perspective but on the tv there is no way Lacroix comes across as very quick. If anything he is more akin to a lumbering Ox.

You was obviously watching a dodgy stuttering stream instead of Sky then, because from my seat in the Whitehorse he looked okay today

The yellow card today showed Hughes at his most impulsive. Yes, he prevented the ManU player from mounting a counterattack, but Will didn't need to shove him. If he'd merely held his position or moved a half step closer, the player would have slammed into him. Surely it would have been called a foul on Will, but by playing chippy and shoving him, Will picked up the yellow card which compromised him the remainder of the way.

Earlier this season he did the same thing – earned a heedless, needless first-half yellow, which forced him to play matador (step aside) on a late-game counterattack to avoid getting a red card. And our opponents scored the game winner.

The yellow card today showed Hughes at his most impulsive. Yes, he prevented the ManU player from mounting a counterattack, but Will didn't need to shove him. If he'd merely held his position or moved a half step closer, the player would have slammed into him. Surely it would have been called a foul on Will, but by playing chippy and shoving him, Will picked up the yellow card which compromised him the remainder of the way.

Earlier this season he did the same thing – earned a heedless, needless first-half yellow, which forced him to play matador (step aside) on a late-game counterattack to avoid getting a red card. And our opponents scored the game winner.
For me Hughes took one for the team to stop the momentum of the Manure attack, we improved when he came on

I was at the game yesterday…so from a Main Stand perspective….

First half, we were not in the game. Our midfield duo were far too weak and allowed Man Utd to dictate the game. Kamada and Wharton did not communicate and operated as individuals and not a team. It was woeful to watch.

Second half was an improvement. Lerma was more aggressive in the tackle and Hughes closes down attacking players well. Sarr also made a huge difference. A different kind of player to JP - and deserves to start against Everton.

You never really know which Eze is going to turn up for the game. He looks sharp, but the couple of glaring misses…

Anyway, I’m convinced once Olly finds the right balance results will improve.

I also don’t feel Guehi is a strong Captain (personal opinion). Hughes is far more vocal (you can hear him in the stand) - though he is not a guaranteed starter , like Guehi is!

There is a lot to be said for having "options" on the bench that we can call on to be able to come on and help solve problems / alter the way that we are set up & a manager that's prepared to change things if he thinks its going to help, not something that we have always had.

You was obviously watching a dodgy stuttering stream instead of Sky then, because from my seat in the Whitehorse he looked okay today
I thought it was intelligent the way that Lacroix & Richards swapped sides mid game to try something different - I presumed it was to help Richards out as he seemed to be struggling more.

It does make you wonder whether that is how the mindset actually works with managers. You’d like to think not however you are probably right.
I’m reminded of Pulis who had a simple test whether to select players,
‘What does he give me?’

At the moment that’s not clear with Kamada.

He’s a busy player with good fitness but appears to have almost no influence on games .
I can define what he’s not (one of 2 central midfielders, right of a front 3), but not what he is.
People have referred to his work off the ball and that’s evident, but he surely has to contribute more than this, particularly in the midfield area where we were anonymous in the first half yesterday.

With that in mind it’s a head scratcher why he’s selected ahead of players who would play more naturally in the positions where Kamada is selected.
Of course this then begs the question of whether his selection is based on the fact that Glasner was instrumental in his purchase.
In a sense, fair enough, as managers always have their favourites.

It’s early days, but I’m unsure that Kamada will make a significant contribution in Glasner’s current formation and that is also the case with Nketiah who is being asked to play outside the area where he is most effective (i.e the penalty area).

‘What does he give me?’

He’s a busy player with good fitness but appears to have almost no influence on games .
I can define what he’s not (one of 2 central midfielders, right of a front 3), but not what he is.
People have referred to his work off the ball and that’s evident, but he surely has to contribute more than this, particularly in the midfield area where we were anonymous in the first half yesterday.

With that in mind it’s a head scratcher why he’s selected ahead of players who would play more naturally in the positions where Kamada is selected.
Of course this then begs the question of whether his selection is based on the fact that Glasner was instrumental in his purchase.

It’s early days, but I’m unsure that Kamada will make a significant contribution in Glasner’s current formation and that is also the case with Nketiah who is being asked to play outside the area where he is most effective (i.e the penalty area).
I thought Kamada had his best game for us to date, but like yourself, other than his energy & willingness to support team mates in skirmishes, I struggled to see if he gave us enough to justify the position, at half time I commented to my brother that I would take Kamada off & put Lerma or Hughes on, it was a surprise to see Wharton swapped out for Lerma (unless he was tiring / carrying an injury)

‘What does he give me?’

I was of the understanding when we bought him that he was a central attacking midfielder and when I saw him in the pre season friendly against Nantes, that’s where he played and looked reasonably good.

As you say, I struggle to see how he fits into the team without replacing Eze as he is not a wide player, he is not a Wharton type pivot and he is most definitely not a defensive midfielder.

In short, I see him as an Eze style replacement so shouldn’t be on the pitch at the start of matches.

Depending on who we are playing I would much rather see Sarr starting or an additional central midfielder (Lerma or Hughes).

In my opinion Glasner has two major conundrums. Firstly he needs to decide whether he is sticking with a back 5 or changing to a back 4 (to allow him to stiffen the midfield or play another attacker) and secondly he needs to work out the conundrum of Eze, Sarr, Kamada, Nketiah, Mateta, who plays and how they are best employed.

We seem to be continually tinkering mid game at present which is not ideal although you have to say some of those changes he has made mid game have secured us points (Chelsea, Leicester and Utd).

To Glasner’s credit he changed things at half time. However he does what a lot of mangers do currently ie play people out of position. Eg Sarr down the middle second half and whilst he was still on Nketiah on the right.
Lerma was the difference second half - well for me. Hughes is Hughes. I like him but accept his limitations.
Kamada unfortunately is heading towards love child status. Works hard but what else?

The game changed when Eriksen went off.
He orchestrated everything but after that they started long ball which suited us.
Henderson saved us but we look very disjointed and the team wasn't doing what OG wanted them to.
Wharton needs to rest his injury for a few weeks sadly.
Lucky to escape with a point.

The game changed when Eriksen went off.
He orchestrated everything but after that they started long ball which suited us.
Henderson saved us but we look very disjointed and the team wasn't doing what OG wanted them to.
Wharton needs to rest his injury for a few weeks sadly.
Lucky to escape with a point.
What is wrong with Wharton?

To Glasner’s credit he changed things at half time. However he does what a lot of mangers do currently ie play people out of position. Eg Sarr down the middle second half and whilst he was still on Nketiah on the right.
Lerma was the difference second half - well for me. Hughes is Hughes. I like him but accept his limitations.
Kamada unfortunately is heading towards love child status. Works hard but what else?
Kamada played under Glasner at Eintract Frankfurt and clearly was more influential for them than he has been in our colours. Kamada played 29 games in the Bundesliga for Lazio last season a team that finished 7th and qualified for the Europa League.
It would appear there is a player in there but we have yet to see him excel in our team.

A big issue yesterday was our passing. I can't think of one player who played well in this regard. Even the normally reliable Wharton kept giving the ball away. We clearly had a tactic to hit the space left by Dalot when he wandered in-field but I can't remember one occasion in the first half when the ball wasn't overhit to Munoz. The first half we were awful and aside from Henderson no player could have complained if they were taken off. Second half we were ok.

With regard to Kamada the only reason I can think he stayed on was that Glasner thinks he needs the game time more than others. I thought he looked like he might be useful when I saw him in preseason, but so far he's struggling with the pace and physicality of the PL. The question is whether OG can afford to keep giving him pitch time, especially when there is real competition in the positions he has played from players who have probably earned it more.

OG got in wrong in the first half badly. However second half we matched Man United even though they had plenty of possession they did nothing with it. AT one point the commentator mentioned it had been 29 minutes since they had a shot on goal.

What we need now is for OG to take the lessons from the second half over into the Everton game.

A big issue yesterday was our passing. I can't think of one player who played well in this regard. Even the normally reliable Wharton kept giving the ball away. We clearly had a tactic to hit the space left by Dalot when he wandered in-field but I can't remember one occasion in the first half when the ball wasn't overhit to Munoz. The first half we were awful and aside from Henderson no player could have complained if they were taken off. Second half we were ok.

With regard to Kamada the only reason I can think he stayed on was that Glasner thinks he needs the game time more than others. I thought he looked like he might be useful when I saw him in preseason, but so far he's struggling with the pace and physicality of the PL. The question is whether OG can afford to keep giving him pitch time, especially when there is real competition in the positions he has played from players who have probably earned it more.

Prior to signing Kamada, I was in conversation with a gentleman who outlined the qualities and skillset the player possessed.Alas these do not match with what we have witnessed thus far.
Perhaps when Kamada is acclimatised with the PL and the players around him he will be heaped with praise by our supporters.

Back