• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Crystal Palace V Manchester United match Thread

To Glasner’s credit he changed things at half time. However he does what a lot of mangers do currently ie play people out of position. Eg Sarr down the middle second half and whilst he was still on Nketiah on the right.
Lerma was the difference second half - well for me. Hughes is Hughes. I like him but accept his limitations.
Kamada unfortunately is heading towards love child status. Works hard but what else?

That’s what we said, he was ranting a lot on the touchline first half so clearly and understandably he wasn’t happy. As you say at least he did something. Roy would have been quite happy with the game still at 0-0 and done nothing

Should we continue to play with this formation, which served us so well at the end of last season, when we don't have the same players at our disposal?

We are now playing 20 yards deeper, not pressing high up the field and starving Mateta of any service in and around the penalty area.

Our passing from the back and composure has deteriorated markedly in the absence of Anderson .
The theory was that the new centre backs would give us more pace , enabling us to play higher up the field.
This hasn't materialised at all and we were very fortunate not to concede from the spaces left behind yesterday.

The improvement in the second half yesterday coincided with the stiffening of the midfield which enabled us to win the ball and move forward creating some presentable chances.

I think for the moment we need to play with an extra body in midfield to ensure we get a grip early in games.

We also need to improve on defending corners.
I'm dreading Everton next week with their physicality from set pieces.
Manchester United could easily have scored 2 or 3 from set pieces yesterday from free headers.

Should we continue to play with this formation, which served us so well at the end of last season, when we don't have the same players at our disposal?

We are now playing 20 yards deeper, not pressing high up the field and starving Mateta of any service in and around the penalty area.

Our passing from the back and composure has deteriorated markedly in the absence of Anderson .
The theory was that the new centre backs would give us more pace , enabling us to play higher up the field.
This hasn't materialised at all and we were very fortunate not to concede from the spaces left behind yesterday.

The improvement in the second half yesterday coincided with the stiffening of the midfield which enabled us to win the ball and move forward creating some presentable chances.

I think for the moment we need to play with an extra body in midfield to ensure we get a grip early in games.

Manchester United could easily have scored 2 or 3 from set pieces yesterday from free headers.

I concur with these sentiments.

That’s what we said, he was ranting a lot on the touchline first half so clearly and understandably he wasn’t happy. As you say at least he did something. Roy would have been quite happy with the game still at 0-0 and done nothing
OG changing it at half time was my prediction before KO. It was very predictable with Kamada next to Wharton. Like you say, at least OG did change things early. Still, we need to get this right because we’re very disjointed and we need to get a win under our belts very soon.

On the plus side. Henderson. OG changing team at half time to good effect. Best game I.ve seen Mitchell play Saar is worth a start. As for everything else we were woeful. Made average united look like world beaters. Fear it’s going to be a long difficult season And Everton on Saturday will give us more practice on defending corners and crosses than we can handle on thatperformancee
But I still believe. We have just been blinded by the end to last season which was olise and Andersen inspired….back to grinding out results for us.
Ps. How many yellows has Hughes got…going for a long rest soon I guess

A very good analysis.
What options might we have?
Sarr has made a difference but might still be seen as an impact sub.
Clyne could come in and Munoz looks better when he's there.
Ward - great servant but doesn't really instill confidence now.
Chalobah is expected to be fit soon so will hopefully help.
Riad is an unknown quantity and has a knee injury.
Doucoure will be out for "several weeks".
Franca? Who knows?

Before we throw the baby out with the bathwater its worth remembering that the team havent had a huge amount of time together.

Hendo, Eze, Wharton, JP, Lerma, Munoz, Richards all had busy summers and missed pre season. Nketia and Lacroix signed late, so there hasn't been a huge amount of time to get everything working as it should.

First half was poor, 2nd half was pretty good. And if Eze could finish we'd have walked away with that one with a win.

Last edited:
On the plus side. Henderson. OG changing team at half time to good effect. Best game I.ve seen Mitchell play Saar is worth a start. As for everything else we were woeful. Made average united look like world beaters. Fear it’s going to be a long difficult season And Everton on Saturday will give us more practice on defending corners and crosses than we can handle on thatperformancee
But I still believe. We have just been blinded by the end to last season which was olise and Andersen inspired….back to grinding out results for us.
For me thats the positive here, Glasner knows it isn't working and is trying to fix things.

I really dont get the Anderson thing, he was good and solid, but the difference here isn't him. Granted Fulham won yesterday, but the goal was his fault, and got absolutely done a couple of other times.

For me the problem is cohesion. Busy summer, late signings. Early International break.

Indeed, but we also played teams like A.Villa who had already qualified for the Champions League and a Man Utd team missing several players etc etc.

The narrative following that impressive run was about "Top 8" and perhaps "Europe" but the reality is that far from building on the achievements of the last campaign we now look like a team which might struggle this season.
We have been on a cresta run of descents but the season is in its infancy, accordingly I am not writing us off at this juncture.It might not be long before I return to my splentic worst and publishing my tome 'The return of the Doomsayer' !!

Given prior comments about Ollie’s poor starts to seasons I think we’re seeing that he takes time to find the best formation and first 11. He does like to try things which includes playing players in unexpected positions. When he’s interviewed he often talks about the options each individual gives ( “Kamada can play as a 6 or an 8. Sarr can play on the right or through the middle, Eddie can play as a striker, a number 10, or wide right). It’s clear he is tinkering at the moment, partly to find what works best but also because we’ve been unlucky with injuries in losing Doucoure, Riad, and Chalobah.

His post match interview was informative and honest in saying they were timid first half. They clearly got a rocket at half time and might have won it in the end. His substitutions worked pretty well.

Kamada is not a natural number 6 but wasn’t helped there by the fact Wharton is clearly struggling. He looked much better further forward after Lerma and Hughes came on. With hindsight he’d have been a better option off the bench to replace Eze who had a poor game. We know this is a work in progress so let’s take the point and move on. Oh and speaking of moving can we please stop going on about how much we miss Anderson and Olise!

Indeed, but we also played teams like A.Villa who had already qualified for the Champions League and a Man Utd team missing several players etc etc.

The narrative following that impressive run was about "Top 8" and perhaps "Europe" but the reality is that far from building on the achievements of the last campaign we now look like a team which might struggle this season.
We have been on a cresta run of descents but the season is in its infancy, accordingly I am not writing us off at this juncture.It might not be long before I return to my splentic worst and publishing my tome 'The return of the Doomsayer' !!
It's also worth remembering that OG himself said to forget about last seasons run at the end.

I don't think the manager knows as yet what his strongest starting line up looks like. Chalobah still to come in and that will see another change, which I anticipate to be Richards dropping out.

He needs a fully fit Doucoure because the Kamada / Wharton partnership doesn't work.

I think we have the ingredients of a mid table side with hopefully good cup runs - but no more than that.

For me thats the positive here, Glasner knows it isn't working and is trying to fix things.

I really dont get the Anderson thing, he was good and solid, but the difference here isn't him. Granted Fulham won yesterday, but the goal was his fault, and got absolutely done a couple of other times.

For me the problem is cohesion. Busy summer, late signings. Early International break.
Apropos Andersen I have always criticised his defending on HOL, however he was exceedingly influential for us with his long range diagonal passing and his shorter passes into midfield which instigated attacks.Anderson departed and we have acquired Lacroix and Riad, neither of which have been overly impressive although I accept they have only played a miniscule amount of games for us.Chalobah of course has been injured.

Olise departed and the midfield additions have been Sarr and Kamada with the latter drawing criticism from supporters game on game. Wharton has not been at his best and the same can be asserted of Richards.

Perhaps it is only a matter of time before we witness real improvements in our performances.

Last edited:
I was always say you don't want a manager who does the things you want, you're better when you say wtf is he doing and he turns out right cos he sees things you don 't. My first wtf was why pick Kamada over Lerma, but this time I think I'm right. I'm sure in the right position in the right set up he's decent, but yesterday it swas like playing with ten men. Invisible. No pressing, tackling and never available for a pass - seemed to hide. And I was equally suprised when Wharton came off instead of Kamada, but there was overall improvement, and more when Hughsey came on for Nketiah. Temporary phases always seem permanent when you're in them, but there's going to have to be a lot of tweaking and a bit of time before things click, which they will. Thought Nketiah was great, Richards in the second half was the best I'd seen him play, Sarr and Eze play like a pair. Once Doucoure comes back and gets a run of games and we sort out our are attacking formation (I like Eze, Eddie and Sarr with JPM on the bench) and the defence gels we'll start to get results. But we're going for 12th again, last season's final flourish was just an Olise-inspired blip I'm afraid.

Groin injury - he's playing with pain killers to cope with it - Henderson denies Manchester United but Crystal Palace still without win

Should not be playing but perhaps with Doucoure absent that is the reason
It's early in the season, we have other options, so if he needs a rest then I think he needs to be rested. He was well below his best yesterday. Everton will be aggressive and physical in midfield so stick Lerma and Hughes in there, or even Chalobah if he's fit, to ensure we don't get overrun.

Think there’s a lot of truth in that last paragraph as well. Problem we also have is fitting in Nketia and Mateta together and if we start with Sarr which lots of us seem to want who do you play in the forward 3 from the start? Glasner may have changed it at half time yesterday but when will he learn/ believe Kamada can’t play middle of midfield? We could and should have been out of sight before half time yesterday and those changes wouldn’t have mattered. He has to get it right from picking the starting 11 and until then we will suffer :-(

The number of times the Palace bar 'twangs' but the ball still doesn't go in, is up to two a game, it's like having a twelfth man.

There is something about the Palace furniture.

Is there a scientific basis, or is God just smiling on us.

😎

Not sure if you watched it live and got a different perspective but on the tv there is no way Lacroix comes across as very quick. If anything he is more akin to a lumbering Ox.
He was 5th quickest player in the Bundesliga last season, according to their stats. What does that say about German football or your opinion of Lacroix!

What is really annoying me this morning is all that Sky and the press are going on about is how good United played and what a great squad they have now and should have slaughtered Palace , You would swear they won the fucking game with their multi millionaire players , well they didnt ! we might have had a poor game but we still managed to keep the plastic fuckers out and take yet another point off them . Even with the help of the Ref and yes the two footed stamp was a red card . They still couldnt beat us .

What is really annoying me this morning is all that Sky and the press are going on about is how good United played and what a great squad they have now and should have slaughtered Palace , You would swear they won the fucking game with their multi millionaire players , well they didnt ! we might have had a poor game but we still managed to keep the plastic fuckers out and take yet another point off them . Even with the help of the Ref and yes the two footed stamp was a red card . They still couldnt beat us .
If Martinez had caught Kamada on the foot, the referee would have branded a red card.

Back