• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Crystal Palace V Manchester United match Thread

Absolutely, it's the butterfly effect in this league isn't it! One decision the other way and suddenly Eze is full of confidence which lifts the entire team. It will come.
I understand the need for positivity and it's fair to reflect that we've been competitive in every game this season other than during the first half yesterday.

It's also fair to say that Glasner recognised the failings in the first half and and corrected them.

However, my question would be why select that midfield in the first place.
Kamada and Wharton is not a balanced midfield and struggled when paired for a spell during the West Ham defeat.
As a pairing it leaves us too open and they don't have the necessary physicality and to protect our defence.

This to me seems fairly basic.

Doucoure is unfit, but Lerma was available and helped to change yesterday's game in the second half.

Similarly, Nketiah is clearly being played out of position and we are not playing to his strengths.

We've been unfortunate in games this season and I think we will improve, but it could be argued that some of the problems this season have been self induced through odd selections that haven't worked.

Stamping down on someone can be deemed as violent conduct too. If you think that was a genuine challenge, please explain what sort of legitimate challenge involves jumping in the air with two feet?

I will comment about the challenge on Kamada and not veer into the realms of hypothetical situations.
In my humble opinion the challenge was 'Reckless' which was the view of the referee and the VAR.Judging by some of the reaction in the media and amongst supporters I suspect had a RED been brandished there would have been no controversy.
I have nothing else to add.

Last edited:
I will comment about the challenge on Kamada and not veer into the realms of hypothetical situations.
In my humble opinion the challenge was 'Reckless' which was the view of the referee and the VAR.
I have nothing else to add.
What is hypothetical about my question? Or the situation I described? It is not hypothetical to say that a stamp is violent conduct and it is not hypothetical to deem that, the thing you deem to be a challenge was a stamp. We may have different interpretations of the event, that is true but nothing I said was hypothetical just an alternative interpretation. I would have thought that such a verbose gentleman as you are would, would understand the meaning of such a simple word.

It is obvious that Eze, the centre of our creativity, is overloaded because when he gets the ball he is immediately harrassed by two or more of the opposition. We need someone to share the creative responsibilities. Last season that someone was Olise. He has gone and we don't seem to have anyone capable of stepping in.
I don't share the criticism of Kamada but Hughes is no help creatively and Wharton is obviously not his old self.
Something new is needed because I can't see us scoring many goals until Eze gets help.
Sarr is no Olise but him and Eze seem to have a bit of an understanding so he could attract players away from Ebs, him and Eze dovetailing behind Nketiah looks our best attacking combination imho

On the plus side. Henderson. OG changing team at half time to good effect. Best game I.ve seen Mitchell play Saar is worth a start. As for everything else we were woeful. Made average united look like world beaters. Fear it’s going to be a long difficult season And Everton on Saturday will give us more practice on defending corners and crosses than we can handle on thatperformancee
But I still believe. We have just been blinded by the end to last season which was olise and Andersen inspired….back to grinding out results for us.
Ps. How many yellows has Hughes got…going for a long rest soon I guess
Only 2, in the league. Get to 5, 1 match ban. Get to 10, 2 match ban, get to 15, 5 match ban. Long way to go yet.

If after 19 games the 5 card 1 match ban is rescinded, after 32 games the 10 match ban is also rescinded

What is hypothetical about my question? Or the situation I described? It is not hypothetical to say that a stamp is violent conduct and it is not hypothetical to deem that, the thing you deem to be a challenge was a stamp. We may have different interpretations of the event, that is true but nothing I said was hypothetical just an alternative interpretation. I would have thought that such a verbose gentleman as you are would, would understand the meaning of such a simple word.
As I asserted I prefer to comment about the actual incident instead of gallivanting down the path of general comments about 'Stamping' etc. 'Stamping' can be interpreted differently, some will believe a 'Stamp' occurred others will view it differently and the action under discussion can vary according to the speed, ferocity and the minutiae of the incident. As far as I am concerned the challenge on Kamada was 'Reckless' and my view is shared by the referee and VAR.

I have no intention of getting embroiled in any protracted debate on the subject of 'Stamping', accordingly will not be drawn into a discussion on such a matter.

No he has always been a world class keeper, we just have people on here who have their favourites, especially keepers and who will slang off the performance of any other players who dares to play in that position.
I must say that I always favoured Johnstone over Henderson while they were both with us, but without any hint of throwing criticism in Henderson's direction.

As far as I, and many others, were concerned Johnstone displayed the better stopping and distribution capability at that time. This wasn't a direct slur on Henderson, just how his play appeared in comparison.

I am firmly of the opinion that Henderson is a first class keeper who saved us embarrassment yesterday. I suggested he was MOTM earlier in this thread before the club announced their results.

I am delighted that the coaching staff have a far better understanding of our player's capabilities than me.

I must say that I always favoured Johnstone over Henderson while they were both with us, but without any hint of throwing criticism in Henderson's direction.

As far as I, and many others, were concerned Johnstone displayed the better stopping and distribution capability at that time. This wasn't a direct slur on Henderson, just how his play appeared in comparison.

I am firmly of the opinion that Henderson is a first class keeper who saved us embarrassment yesterday. I suggested he was MOTM earlier in this thread before the club announced their results.

I am delighted that the coaching staff have a far better understanding of our player's capabilities than me.

Henderson played with great aplomb and we are indebted to him for preventing a comprehensive defeat.

Apropos being a "Top keeper" globally in the upper echelons of the goalkeeper fraternity, he will need to improve his distribution with his feet to stand a chance of achieving such a vaulted status.

Another crazy rule! If you’re reckless and injure the player it’s a red, but if you’re reckless and the player is fortunate enough to avoid contact it’s a yellow. At the end of the day reckless dangerous play is just that whatever the outcome.
Well, it is like attempted murder is a lesser crime than murder. You are punished less because you failed

Back