• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Crystal Palace V Manchester United match Thread

I thought I read somewhere this is growing pains, he is still a young lad. If so we will have to manage his fitness until he stops growing.
I read the same. Generally physios stress muscle development around injuries, but with growing pains I understand this actually exacerbates the issue. Difficult if you are an athlete.

Steven Gerrard suffered the same early in his career and he turned out OK. Let's hope Wharton does some of that "OK" bit with us!

I wasn't overly impressed but perhaps it was a reflection of the team rather than him individually as he came out top in most stats compared to our other defenders including most interceptions, most aerial duels won and most likely to appear in a French-based detective series.

I'm a bit surprised by that.

Hughes has quite an unusual and sometimes ambiguous visage for me, so I thought he'd be perfect for a French-based detective series.

Yes but I couldn't think of a French detective except Maigret which didn't seem ideal casting.
I don't think we have anyone that looks like Maigret but we can't rule it out. But I do see the Hughes resemblance and hadn't thought of it before. Now all I can think of is Tin-tin when I see Hughes. Probably our new unsung hero, as it were. Although in this case doing a lot of the dirty work.

Liverpool deployed the 'Zonal Marking' system in the days when Alan Hansen was playing and the club won Championships.They did of course have Bruce Grobbelaar who would come to collect crosses.
Liverpool under Benitez used this system.

Howard Wilkinson used the 'Zonal Marking' system for more than 30 years in football and implemented it in many of the England teams when he was technical director at the FA.

I have had several conversation about the pros and cons of 'Zonal Marking' over the years.

My women's team employ a hybrid system...zonal across the six-yard box...but still gives us three spare defenders to man mark their most dangerous players. Only conceded one from a corner in three years (and that was an own goal!).

My women's team employ a hybrid system...zonal across the six-yard box...but still gives us three spare defenders to man mark their most dangerous players. Only conceded one from a corner in three years (and that was an own goal!).
Good way of doing things. Maybe your players are a bit more adaptable than Premier League defenders.

I read the same. Generally physios stress muscle development around injuries, but with growing pains I understand this actually exacerbates the issue. Difficult if you are an athlete.

Steven Gerrard suffered the same early in his career and he turned out OK. Let's hope Wharton does some of that "OK" bit with us!
He was injury prone for a long time. As far as I remember Houllier stopped him playing for quite a while and reckoied he'd saved a young player's career. This came back to mind when we played him for the full extent of game after game.

Back