• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Crystal Palace V Manchester United match Thread

If Martinez had caught Kamada on the foot, the referee would have branded a red card.
It was a reckless challenge but no contact was made.
I thought two footed jumps into a tackle were an instant red card. Martinez held his face in his hands after that incident. If it is not an automatic red card, then the ref should have given one anyway. That type of play has been correctly stamped out of football. Imagine any youngsters watching that.
It should have been a red card...... no doubt.

As one of many who has been critical of Henderson, Ive got to say that yesterday he was brilliant. If he keeps up that tempo and skill, then we have got a top goalkeeper. Well played Hendo top performance. Secured us a much needed point.

The Premier League Match Centre issued the following :

The referee issued a yellow card to Martinez for a challenge on Kamada. VAR checked for a potential red card and confirmed the referee’s call of no red card, deeming this was a reckless challenge and made no contact with Kamada.

As one of many who has been critical of Henderson, Ive got to say that yesterday he was brilliant. If he keeps up that tempo and skill, then we have got a top goalkeeper. Well played Hendo top performance. Secured us a much needed point.
Is it just me or has he been better since SJ left? It's like it has relieved some of the pressure. He still needs to improve his kicking, but he made some fantastic saves yesterday and that point rested squarely on his shoulders.

The referee issued a yellow card to Martinez for a challenge on Kamada. VAR checked for a potential red card and confirmed the referee’s call of no red card, deeming this was a reckless challenge and made no contact with Kamada.
Another crazy rule! If you’re reckless and injure the player it’s a red, but if you’re reckless and the player is fortunate enough to avoid contact it’s a yellow. At the end of the day reckless dangerous play is just that whatever the outcome.

Did you write that in red Willo to endorse your thoughts of card colour?
If that is the rules, then football can expect to see some wild west activity moving forwards. I done blame Kamada not going in on a challenge when the opposing attacker is in mid air with both studs up feet hurtling towards where his legs would have been if he hadn't held back. It was a disgrace and should be instantly banned with a red, contact or not. It should play no part in football. The Premier League have totally lost the plot.

Did you write that in red Willo to endorse your thoughts of card colour?
If that is the rules, then football can expect to see some wild west activity moving forwards. I done blame Kamada not going in on a challenge when the opposing attacker is in mid air with both studs up feet hurtling towards where his legs would have been if he hadn't held back. It was a disgrace and should be instantly banned with a red, contact or not. It should play no part in football. The Premier League have totally lost the plot.
No - just selected a colour !

For me Hughes took one for the team to stop the momentum of the Manure attack, we improved when he came on
Will is great however he is almost guaranteed to get booked within 20-30 minutes of his startlng. if he played 90 minutes he"d probably spend the last 30 avoiding a second yellow and even then would probably still get sent off several times a season.. His aggression of course is part of his game and is very much needed in this team !

Another crazy rule! If you’re reckless and injure the player it’s a red, but if you’re reckless and the player is fortunate enough to avoid contact it’s a yellow. At the end of the day reckless dangerous play is just that whatever the outcome.
As far as I am aware it is not a rule, just an interpretation. The thing about that tackle was the question of what he was trying to do? Most two footed tackles occur when a player is over stretching for a ball. Why does a footballer jump in the air to tackle when the ball is just in front of them. 1. To try and injure an opponent 2. To play act and win a foul. 2 didn't look like the case in that situation, so for me it had to be a red because it was a seriously malicious act (and ridiculously stupid too).

Willo my friend, we all know that the referee's like to cover eachothers arses , but just because there is no contact it doesn't mean there was no intent . If a player was to draw a slap at an opposing player and missed it would still be a red card because of the intent and not a yellow because he missed .

It is obvious that Eze, the centre of our creativity, is overloaded because when he gets the ball he is immediately harrassed by two or more of the opposition. We need someone to share the creative responsibilities. Last season that someone was Olise. He has gone and we don't seem to have anyone capable of stepping in.
I don't share the criticism of Kamada but Hughes is no help creatively and Wharton is obviously not his old self.
Something new is needed because I can't see us scoring many goals until Eze gets help.

I took some heart from yesterday's game.

I've already created a thread on this, but Glasner historically starts the season slowly as players adjust to his style. That happened when he joined us last year and is happening again. However, we are on a five match unbeaten run now, albeit without a league win, including two games against Chelsea and United.

We have an issue with starting games slowly and have done so in every game this season. However, we were much improved in the second half and for the last 25 minutes there only looked like being one winner. Eze missed a sitter which would have claimed the points.

Some of our new signings, Kamada and Lacroix, have started slowly too but we simply have to give them time. We all know there's an adjustment period coming into this league for most players and hopefully they will come good. Let's not forget that many of us, myself included, were calling for Mateta to be sold to anyone who would take him as recently as January, so it can turn around.

For what it's worth I think Sarr has actually been quite decent in his limited time on the pitch and deserves a start. Nketiah looks like he will come good too.

There's only 9 teams who have conceded fewer goals than us but Chalobah and Doucoure will both come straight into the side and improve our defensive resilience further.

I honestly believe that any league win, hopefully against Everton, will kickstart us. Our new first choice front three is also yet to click and I don't think either Eze or Mateta have been at their best so far this season. When that happens, and it will, we'll start putting teams away again.

I took some heart from yesterday's game.

I've already created a thread on this, but Glasner historically starts the season slowly as players adjust to his style. That happened when he joined us last year and is happening again. However, we are on a five match unbeaten run now, albeit without a league win, including two games against Chelsea and United.

We have an issue with starting games slowly and have done so in every game this season. However, we were much improved in the second half and for the last 25 minutes there only looked like being one winner. Eze missed a sitter which would have claimed the points.

Some of our new signings, Kamada and Lacroix, have started slowly too but we simply have to give them time. We all know there's an adjustment period coming into this league for most players and hopefully they will come good. Let's not forget that many of us, myself included, were calling for Mateta to be sold to anyone who would take him as recently as January, so it can turn around.

For what it's worth I think Sarr has actually been quite decent in his limited time on the pitch and deserves a start. Nketiah looks like he will come good too.

There's only 9 teams who have conceded fewer goals than us but Chalobah and Doucoure will both come straight into the side and improve our defensive resilience further.

I honestly believe that any league win, hopefully against Everton, will kickstart us. Our new first choice front three is also yet to click and I don't think either Eze or Mateta have been at their best so far this season. When that happens, and it will, we'll start putting teams away again.
Nice to see some optimism! Chelsea and Leicester were both battling points from behind. Makes you wonder how much different things might be had Eze's free kick been allowed to stand in the Brentford game.
Yes, it's all if's and but's but we're not in that bad a shape.

It is obvious that Eze, the centre of our creativity, is overloaded because when he gets the ball he is immediately harrassed by two or more of the opposition. We need someone to share the creative responsibilities. Last season that someone was Olise. He has gone and we don't seem to have anyone capable of stepping in.
I don't share the criticism of Kamada but Hughes is no help creatively and Wharton is obviously not his old self.
Something new is needed because I can't see us scoring many goals until Eze gets help.
Maybe we should’ve bought Emile Smith-Rowe for £27m plus £7m add ons. Seems to be settling in at Fulham, but then he wasn’t free like Kamada.

Is it just me or has he been better since SJ left? It's like it has relieved some of the pressure. He still needs to improve his kicking, but he made some fantastic saves yesterday and that point rested squarely on his shoulders.
No he has always been a world class keeper, we just have people on here who have their favourites, especially keepers and who will slang off the performance of any other players who dares to play in that position.

Maybe we should’ve bought Emile Smith-Rowe for £27m plus £7m add ons. Seems to be settling in at Fulham, but then he wasn’t free like Kamada.
Was thinking that yesterday. Smith Rowe plays well on either side or in the middle - but we bought Nketiah who is more of a striker. And neither Kamada nor Nketiah are wide players. In fact, basically none of our squad are, arguably. Yet we're playing with a front three that seems to have inside forwards/ inverted wingers most of the time. As others have said, it doesn't suit our players. I think we should consider 4-4-1-1 and maybe try Munoz as right midfield. Eze left. One of the central midfielders holds, the other supports, then we have a couple of options as a false nine/ shadow striker/ roaming playmaker - although arguably Eze would be our best option then. Again showing our lack of wide players.

Willo my friend, we all know that the referee's like to cover eachothers arses , but just because there is no contact it doesn't mean there was no intent . If a player was to draw a slap at an opposing player and missed it would still be a red card because of the intent and not a yellow because he missed .
This could be deemed as 'Violent Conduct' and the colour of the card issued would depend on whether the force was excessive or negligible.
In yesterday's incident, David Coote deemed that the challenge was 'Reckless' and the VAR never sought to overturn his decision.I very much doubt if we would have netted had Martinez received his marching orders !

Nice to see some optimism! Chelsea and Leicester were both battling points from behind. Makes you wonder how much different things might be had Eze's free kick been allowed to stand in the Brentford game.
Yes, it's all if's and but's but we're not in that bad a shape.

Absolutely, it's the butterfly effect in this league isn't it! One decision the other way and suddenly Eze is full of confidence which lifts the entire team. It will come.

He's done brilliantly but with him it was the cost vs. the injury record. He's missed an average of 20 games per season to injury over the last six years. As good as he looks now, if he's on the sidelines again next week we'll be glad we missed out on him.

This could be deemed as 'Violent Conduct' and the colour of the card issued would depend on whether the force was excessive or negligible.
In yesterday's incident, David Coote deemed that the challenge was 'Reckless' and the VAR never sought to overturn his decision.I very much doubt if we would have netted had Martinez received his marching orders !
Stamping down on someone can be deemed as violent conduct too. If you think that was a genuine challenge, please explain what sort of legitimate challenge involves jumping in the air with two feet?

Back