• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Wilfried Zaha return

How did he manage that, whilst playing for Cardiff? He contributed when he came back, but he isnt any messiah.

There was a time when we couldn’t win without him, but I shan’t bother to argue with the anti Zaha brigade. 🙂

Who is "throwing stones" about França? Not I nor am I berating.

I'm merely pointing out the options we have. França has a lot to show but has needed time to adjust. He has had that time, so now we need to start seeing him bring it. Not expecting too much this season but he needs to start featuring from the bench more. If he got to 5 goal involvements this season that would be a start.

Kamada has had 1 league game so far. Preseason counts for nothing. I only use actual league and cup games not preseason! That's why I say no judgement until at least 10 games gone. Minimum. The 1st international break would be only a small indication of what they can do.

Players need time. I say give them that.
Fair enough - we'll see. I hope they work out but I won't be holding my breath. To go out on a limb I think neither currently have the physicality required for the Premier League.
Conversely, I also noticed plenty of teams started with debutants who they had just bought. I immediately wondered why ours couldn't hit the ground running? Particularly Sarr who should be well used to English football. Perhaps he's had a knock.

There was a time when we couldn’t win without him, but I shan’t bother to argue with the anti Zaha brigade. 🙂
Not the "anti-Zaha brigade"

It's the "Rose Tinted Glasses Zaha Brigade" that's the problem.

Your Own words " there WAS a time...."

Not any more. His last season the progress was evident.

We aren't getting the Zaha of 2015 or any other year. We are talking about Zaha NOW.

Past achievements need to stay there. What does he give now?

Not a lot ot end product for that high fee. Not an automatic starter.

No one is saying that Zaha does not merit all the plaudits he got from his time in 2015 to 2023. But we can all respect his achievements but a dose of reality.

Is he the same player? Is he better than he was when he left?

Remember he chose to walk away. We have had better players and I believe we still do. No point to sign him.

An absolute waste of money. Better to get 2 prospects from the Championship than this ageing pro.

No longer an asset for me. A step backwards. He isn't going to be able to hit the ground running.

Turkish League is not the strongest. Yet he didn't exactly take it by storm did he? 1 in 3? Not even.

That tells me he isn't as effective as he used to be.

The Zaha of 2024 is not the same player who dazzled of the past.

Signings cannot be based on romantic notions but on performance, end product and value for money.

We know that it's variable as that's Zaha. It's not a good fit now.

Club legend yes.
Best player ever? Possibly
Good us now? No.

Not the "anti-Zaha brigade"

It's the "Rose Tinted Glasses Zaha Brigade" that's the problem.

Your Own words " there WAS a time...."

Not any more. His last season the progress was evident.

We aren't getting the Zaha of 2015 or any other year. We are talking about Zaha NOW.

Past achievements need to stay there. What does he give now?

Not a lot ot end product for that high fee. Not an automatic starter.

No one is saying that Zaha does not merit all the plaudits he got from his time in 2015 to 2023. But we can all respect his achievements but a dose of reality.

Is he the same player? Is he better than he was when he left?

Remember he chose to walk away. We have had better players and I believe we still do. No point to sign him.

An absolute waste of money. Better to get 2 prospects from the Championship than this ageing pro.

No longer an asset for me. A step backwards. He isn't going to be able to hit the ground running.

Turkish League is not the strongest. Yet he didn't exactly take it by storm did he? 1 in 3? Not even.

That tells me he isn't as effective as he used to be.

The Zaha of 2024 is not the same player who dazzled of the past.

Signings cannot be based on romantic notions but on performance, end product and value for money.

We know that it's variable as that's Zaha. It's not a good fit now.

Club legend yes.
Best player ever? Possibly
Good us now? No.
Peak Zaha would be out of reach of us financially and in terms of our pull as a club. Despite all of your lengthy responses I think you would find in footballing terms most coaches would probably say Zaha improves our squad right now. Attitude and the financial aspects are another issue. The attitude issues are what would concern me, but in pure footballing terms who would I rather see with a shooting chance, Edouard, Sarr or Zaha? I don't even have to think twice. But you can't expect that he'll suddenly become a whole different character, plus he would need to play where Eze plays to get the best out of him so I don't think re-signing him is a good idea.

To compare, last season Sterling had 0.55 goals/assist per 90 minutes. Zaha had 0.75. Sarr had 0.44 and Kamada had 0.23. Eze had 0.61, Mateta 0.75 and Olise had 1.06! Obviously this limited stat doesn't tell you everything, but a goal or an assist every 0.75 games is hardly washed up.

He's not coming back.

But if he did, even a '' washed up '' version of Wilf is better than Edouard and from what I've seen so far, Kamada.
Our young attackers out on loan are better than Edouard (who seemed responsible for everything that broke down yesterday). As for Kamada, he's not impressed in either league game so far but I'm prepared to give him time to adjust to the rigours of the PL.

I wonder how OG would handle Wilf’s sulks if he were to comeback? Like most I love Wilf - but towards the end of his last time with us I was becoming embarrassed by his strops on the pitch.

You simply cannot deny his talent though…….especially in a Red and blue shirt!

We unwillingly lost Olise and Zaha isn’t getting much game time.
I’d welcome a return but a two year deal not 4 years.

He's not coming back.

But if he did, even a '' washed up '' version of Wilf is better than Edouard and from what I've seen so far, Kamada.
I was going to type something similar Neillo, then I saw your post. I am in the 'not again Wilf' camp, but I'd swap him for Édouard in a flash.

I'm not sure where the idea has materialised that he would sulk if brought back. He was at his best when he got pissed off playing for us and I don't remember him ever shrinking out of a game when things weren't going his way.

He's not much older than when he left, his fitness was always excellent and we urgently need a creative winger. Drive the right deal out of Galatasaray and im fully on board with having Wilf back!

I'm not sure where the idea has materialised that he would sulk if brought back. He was at his best when he got pissed off playing for us and I don't remember him ever shrinking out of a game when things weren't going his way.

He's not much older than when he left, his fitness was always excellent and we urgently need a creative winger. Drive the right deal out of Galatasaray and im fully on board with having Wilf back!
Possibly based on his demeanour in games in the season after his desired move to Arsenal didn't happen.

Back