• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Wilfried Zaha return

Personally it wouldn’t raise mine.

Bringing in promising young talent however…as we did with Olise, Eze & Wharton or Lacroix and/or Araujo.
The issue is whether we can attract or afford a player of Wilf's quality.

I don't know how Wilf's form is right now, but either way, we need some flair.

Wilf cannot afford to leave Turkey due to taxation issues….hes not coming back to the UK so this one’s dead

The issue is whether we can attract or afford a player of Wilf's quality.

I don't know how Wilf's form is right now, but either way, we need some flair.
Well we recently attracted Eze, Olise, Doucoure, Wharton, Henderson, Munoz, Lerma & Johnstone. All full internationals for their respective Countries, so I’d say we most certainly can.

Well we recently attracted Eze, Olise, Doucoure, Wharton, Henderson, Munoz, Lerma & Johnstone. All full internationals for their respective Countries, so I’d say we most certainly can.
One can only hope.

In the meantime, three points tomorrow would be a tonic.

With the kind of money he's made over his career, of course he can afford to pay the tax if he's desperate enough to get back to play in the PL (or get Parish to pay it as part of the deal).
Tax issues can be quite tricky and there may be some sceptical tax authorities questioning whether a footballer at the wrong end of his career path goes abroad to earn less than in his home-country as it was stated in some news at the time he went to Gala.

100% No.

This wouldn't be the 2nd coming of Zaha but the 3rd.

People seem to forget that while he was important to us once:

Rarely gets 10+ goals a season.
Too selfish, assists total is poor for the time he played for us
Wasteful in front of goal
Makes bad decisions.
Expects the team to be built around him.

Unfortunately because Parish kept giving him contract after contract to keep him at the club (which back then was necessary) this stroked his ego and he thought he was entitled to run the show as well as been given incredible latitude in doing whatever he wanted.

If you compare the amount of assists Olise has in the PL to Zaha...it shows how little of a team player Zaha was. That's not our ethic now.

Eze is more of a player than Zaha was. People think we are getting the Zaha of 5 years ago. We aren't. He is 31, has never truly been worthy of going to a top club and he has been at 2 now, in different countries & simply isn't worth the financial outlay.

People saying would be better than Edouard? Well OE is on half the money that Wilf was on, yet gives the same return. Doesn't score 10 a season but at least works for the team more.

Zaha made his bed, now he needs to put up with it. No top 5 league team in any country wanted him so ended up in Turkey.

Go to Saudi and take their stupid money and play in an environment that will foster your ego.

Glasner won't put up with that sh*t and will be nothing of a disruptive influence.

Never again. It'll be worse than the 2nd coming of David Hopkin.

I'd have Wilf back providing he is happy with less money & being rotated in & out of the first team as necessary.

I fear however getting him back now is for all the wrong reasons, we offloaded 3 popular players, Wilf himself is having a s*** time in Turkey & appears he has limited options & may have no choice but to choose us which isn't good for either party, throw in Parish sentimentality & the need for low effort attempt to placate fans.

It doesn't feel right to me.

Last edited:
I'd have Wilf back providing he is happy with less money & being rotated in & out of the first team as necessary.

I fear however getting him back now is for all the wrong reasons, we offloaded 3 popular players, Wilf himself is having a s*** time in Turkey & appears he has limited options & may have no choice but to choose us which isn't good for either party, throw in Parish sentimentality & the need for low effort attempt to placate fans.

It doesn't feel right to me.
Don't think he'd be happy with that.
So for that alone he'd be disruptive.

He made his choice to go to Turkey. Didn't work out? Wanted UCL football and that's the best he could do. Which sums up the reality ; wanted too much money and so no other club would pay.

I don't want that kind of attitude at Palace. Seems mercenary.

100% No.

Makes bad decisions.

Unfortunately because Parish kept giving him contract after contract to keep him at the club (which back then was necessary) this stroked his ego and he thought he was entitled to run the show as well as been given incredible latitude in doing whatever he wanted.

If you compare the amount of assists Olise has in the PL to Zaha...it shows how little of a team player Zaha was. That's not our ethic now.

Eze is more of a player than Zaha was. People think we are getting the Zaha of 5 years ago. We aren't. He is 31, has never truly been worthy of going to a top club and he has been at 2 now, in different countries & simply isn't worth the financial outlay.

People saying would be better than Edouard? Well OE is on half the money that Wilf was on, yet gives the same return. Doesn't score 10 a season but at least works for the team more.

Zaha made his bed, now he needs to put up with it. No top 5 league team in any country wanted him so ended up in Turkey.

Go to Saudi and take their stupid money and play in an environment that will foster your ego.

Glasner won't put up with that sh*t and will be nothing of a disruptive influence.

Never again. It'll be worse than the 2nd coming of David Hopkin.
The man kept us in the Premier League, despite all his failings.

100% No.

Makes bad decisions.
He's got 10+ goals in three out of the last four seasons, getting 7 in his final season at Palace which was disrupted by injury. Also, while he rarely got an assist he often played a key role in the build-up to our goals. His lack of assists was also probably due to the fact he seemingly can't cross.

I too would be concerned about the theatrics that come with Wilf and his camp but from a purely footballing perspective he would probably still carry a threat, especially in Glasner's system which is less reliant on counter-attacking football and which is all about creating as many shooting chances as possible. If you asked me who would you fancy more out of Wilf, Eduoard or Ayew to score if they get a chance it would be Wilf every time. The key question for me is not ability but attitude. It is hard to believe he would suddenly change overnight and be a humble squad player, but who knows.

With Ayew gone I could still see this happening despite what Parish said.

He's got 10+ goals in three out of the last four seasons, getting 7 in his final season at Palace which was disrupted by injury. Also, while he rarely got an assist he often played a key role in the build-up to our goals. His lack of assists was also probably due to the fact he seemingly can't cross.

I too would be concerned about the theatrics that come with Wilf and his camp but from a purely footballing perspective he would probably still carry a threat, especially in Glasner's system which is less reliant on counter-attacking football and which is all about creating as many shooting chances as possible. If you asked me who would you fancy more out of Wilf, Eduoard or Ayew to score if they get a chance it would be Wilf every time. The key question for me is not ability but attitude. It is hard to believe he would suddenly change overnight and be a humble squad player, but who knows.

With Ayew gone I could still see this happening despite what Parish said.

He was wasteful. Decision making was always shoot shoot shoot. Very often was the most forward player but never waited for team mates.

Also his end product was pretty average for a player of his standing. Townsend was exactly the same.

You could argue that he got 10+ in 3/5 seasons but 4 in 1, 2 in another, 5 in another...

Consistency is what marks out top players. He was always frustrating. Running up blind alleys with no hope of creating anything. Getting us down the field, yes - but wasn't the most ideal outlet.

You could argue now it's different- we have better players, we will be more forward thinking, he won't be double teamed etc etc .

There is also the argument that he might have realised that he isn't the centre of the universe any more and might have a different attitude as he will appreciate what he has.

I see both sides but the main one that tells me no is that we don't give more than 1 year contracts to players over 30. So a loan only but that won't suit Gala. In the last year of his contract there so he will be, yet again, a free for someone next season.

Just won't be us.

I'm not big into it but I'd almost accept anything now so that we have eleven half decent players. With Ayew and Andersen gone - we've lost two who would have played. I have to say that, from what I've seen, Zaha offers more than Kamada. Zaha, Eze and Sarr actually sounds pretty good. Replacements would be Schlupp and Kamada.

No thanks . We all saw his decline from talisman to super sulk .Was great for us once but that was a long time ago and I'd like to keep my memories of what he was not the shell of that player that he has become

I'm not big into it but I'd almost accept anything now so that we have eleven half decent players. With Ayew and Andersen gone - we've lost two who would have played. I have to say that, from what I've seen, Zaha offers more than Kamada. Zaha, Eze and Sarr actually sounds pretty good. Replacements would be Schlupp and Kamada.
Based on one game for Kamada?
You judge on one game! Sorry but that I can't take seriously.

You lost me at "I'd almost accept anything now" that is a recipe for disaster!

Ayew was a sub now. Andersen yes but we have replacements in house - whether you like it or not Holding is a replacement. We will replace Andersen next week. Ayew potentially was replaced on the RW, RAM and would be 3rd choice CF. Sorry but you don't spend £14m on Sarr if not to play him. Kamada can play across the front line, versatility is important.

Now I don't rate Sarr at all from his time at Twatford, but I'll give him time. All players need a run of 5-10 games before any real judgements can be formed.

1 game is frankly ridiculous to make your mind up. Kamada was the Olise replacement. Shows just how good he was, when 2 players were brought in to replace him. We also have França when fit to play in that RAM position.

I do agree that Zaha would not fit in to the current set up. He would want more money than everyone else based on his reputation alone. Parish would be keen but I’m not sure Glasner is. However in my 60+ years supporting the team he is probably the most technically gifted player we have ever produced. Shame about his decision making.

Based on one game for Kamada?
You judge on one game! Sorry but that I can't take seriously.

You lost me at "I'd almost accept anything now" that is a recipe for disaster!

Ayew was a sub now. Andersen yes but we have replacements in house - whether you like it or not Holding is a replacement. We will replace Andersen next week. Ayew potentially was replaced on the RW, RAM and would be 3rd choice CF. Sorry but you don't spend £14m on Sarr if not to play him. Kamada can play across the front line, versatility is important.

Now I don't rate Sarr at all from his time at Twatford, but I'll give him time. All players need a run of 5-10 games before any real judgements can be formed.

1 game is frankly ridiculous to make your mind up. Kamada was the Olise replacement. Shows just how good he was, when 2 players were brought in to replace him. We also have França when fit to play in that RAM position.
What I find quite funny is that you berate me for not particularly rating Kamada - which is actually over several games. You then tell me that Holding is cover whether I like it or not. Ok.
As for Franca - I wouldn't be too quick to throw stones.

What I find quite funny is that you berate me for not particularly rating Kamada - which is actually over several games. You then tell me that Holding is cover whether I like it or not. Ok.
As for Franca - I wouldn't be too quick to throw stones.
Who is "throwing stones" about França? Not I nor am I berating.

I'm merely pointing out the options we have. França has a lot to show but has needed time to adjust. He has had that time, so now we need to start seeing him bring it. Not expecting too much this season but he needs to start featuring from the bench more. If he got to 5 goal involvements this season that would be a start.

Kamada has had 1 league game so far. Preseason counts for nothing. I only use actual league and cup games not preseason! That's why I say no judgement until at least 10 games gone. Minimum. The 1st international break would be only a small indication of what they can do.

Players need time. I say give them that.

Back