• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

The new government – good accomplishments and bad?

I think everyone should take up smoking - just to p*** him off.
Come on George, if pensions aren't available until you're about 90 they need to keep everyone fit and healthy so they can work. Next up will be body weight monitoring to make sure the sugar tax is working.

OBR accuses the previous tory government of 'concealing financial information'.

The IFS confirms it, that the tories budgeted for 110 milions of asylum seeker spending, but actually spent 2.6 billions year on year, with no result.

So the claim that Reeves made is correct, and we can imagine this throughout that government.

However making people suffer through a '22 billion black hole' is b****x quite frankly, she could only be a banker.

Sunak, Hunt and Reeves they are like the Merchant Banker sketch in Monty Python.

😎

Starmer seems to be on a deliberate path of pissing off as many white working class people as possible. From the political show trials following the Southport uprisings to the announcement today of banning of smoking in pub/nightclub/sports stadium outside areas, it is as though Starmer is deliberately shitting on white working-class people. And seemingly taking great relish from it. Its a very deliberate message that he knows will not go well. An attack essentially one the entire, and very specifically British institution of the 'pub'.

Now with my silver foil hat on, I see this as part of the run up to a full on EU rejoin campaign. And this a deliberate attempt to make the primary group who will react badly to this as demonised and potentially demoralised as possible.

Make them feel the pressure of the Government on their backs. How this prick from North London can and will crap all over white working-class people just because he can. With the constant threat of even worse to come if they dare try to respond.

Pure power play.
As a regular user of pubs and an advocate of their place in British culture I have no problem at all with the idea of banning smoking both inside and outside. It has made using them inside much better and more attractive to a larger number of people. Why not outside too? Sending the right messages to young people is important. If you want to be socially acceptable then you don’t smoke. Eventually eliminating smoking altogether must be the ultimate aim.

OBR accuses the previous tory government of 'concealing financial information'.

The IFS confirms it, that the tories budgeted for 110 milions of asylum seeker spending, but actually spent 2.6 billions year on year, with no result.

So the claim that Reeves made is correct, and we can imagine this throughout that government.

However making people suffer through a '22 billion black hole' is b****x quite frankly, she could only be a banker.

Sunak, Hunt and Reeves they are like the Merchant Banker sketch in Monty Python.

😎
Does this black hole factor in the cost of Covid?

Not to me.

It looks like leadership built on the desire to eradicate a habit that is unhealthy, unnecessary, distressing for others and costly for us all.
Good thinking. Stop smokers from being outside in an adult environment where they're paying over the odds for their drink and they'll smoke indoors where their children are and drink supermarket booze.
Just ban tobacco and alcohol if health is the main concern.

You are unbelievable. There was a riot going on and horses dispatched.

They threatened people and destroyed property at the BLM riots and the 2011 riots across London, including Croydon. 5 people killed, businesses burned down, including Reeves beds and furniture on Reeves Corner near the old market. You clearly have an agenda.
Horses dispatched to help control the crowd, as they frequently are whenever there are crowds. They don’t just exist for riots!

You referenced the BLM protests. Not the rioting that followed the death of Duggan in 2011. These are not the same. The 2011 riots received a similar response to that we have seen recently and for the same reason. To try to stop copy cat events. The causes were though completely different. Those in 2011 were the result of anger directed at the police who had shot Duggan. The recent ones were the result of political opportunism by right wing social media influencers.

That you, and others here, don’t believe me is just par for the course you play on. Which slopes so steeply to the right that nothing ever runs true.

You can't argue with blinkered stupidity - we need to stop giving him oxygen for some of his posts.
I would be overjoyed if the motivation I have for rebutting the right wing regurgitated dogs poo that is the standard fare on offer here ceased to exist.

So long as it does it will be identified.

You, of course, have no need to either read or respond to it.

Casual readers might.

Come on George, if pensions aren't available until you're about 90 they need to keep everyone fit and healthy so they can work. Next up will be body weight monitoring to make sure the sugar tax is working.
It has been announced today that in company health checks for working people will be introduced to try to spot problems early and thereby ease the burden on the NHS.

I am sure checking weight will be part of that.

Good thinking. Stop smokers from being outside in an adult environment where they're paying over the odds for their drink and they'll smoke indoors where their children are and drink supermarket booze.
Just ban tobacco and alcohol if health is the main concern.
How people behave at home is a completely separate problem. One that is much more difficult to influence let alone control.

Pricing it so highly it becomes unaffordable seems to be gradually working. Alongside education and social pressures. The key though is to stop the young people starting. Banning it everywhere that they could be persuaded to start makes sense to me.

To my shame both my daughters smoke. They started in a pub. It was banned at home. Now they go outside, even on the coldest winters day, and have cut right down because of the cost. None of my grandchildren smoke.

How people behave at home is a completely separate problem. One that is much more difficult to influence let alone control.

Pricing it so highly it becomes unaffordable seems to be gradually working. Alongside education and social pressures. The key though is to stop the young people starting. Banning it everywhere that they could be persuaded to start makes sense to me.

To my shame both my daughters smoke. They started in a pub. It was banned at home. Now they go outside, even on the coldest winters day, and have cut right down because of the cost. None of my grandchildren smoke.
I started smoking at school where it was banned. Brexit brought back duty free fags from Europe. Top result for all concerned.

As a regular user of pubs and an advocate of their place in British culture I have no problem at all with the idea of banning smoking both inside and outside. It has made using them inside much better and more attractive to a larger number of people. Why not outside too? Sending the right messages to young people is important. If you want to be socially acceptable then you don’t smoke. Eventually eliminating smoking altogether must be the ultimate aim.

Really? The statistics on pub closures would seem to indicate otherwise..... even Price Waterhouse agree that the increased level since the indoor ban was introduced is probably as a result of it.

Really? The statistics on pub closures would seem to indicate otherwise..... even Price Waterhouse agree that the increased level since the indoor ban was introduced is probably as a result of it.

Personally, I don't think they'd be any busier if you could smoke inside. The reason pubs are closing is money/costs/pricing but also the changing culture. Even in Ireland, pubs are struggling. We used to call them a licence to print money - no more. Pretty sure Wetherspoons are pulling out. Think about your bills now - pubs' bills have doubled/tripled. Insurance costs are up. Transport costs are up - hence breweries charging higher prices. Wages are up in general. But also there are plenty of people in our countries now who would never even consider the pub. For many, it would be a den of iniquity.

What a man! Unsettled by a portrait? I could say it was because it is of a woman but he doesn’t know what they are!,

If he’s unsettled by a portrait of Thatcher, what would a portrait of Bliar do to him, seeing as what he’s responsible for. Incidentally it was Brown who commissioned the portrait in the Thatcher room in 10 Downing Street. Starker is a clown. It wasn’t long ago that he was praising Thatcher. Now he’s in power he’s showing off to his small number of sycophants in the sneering laptop class. It’s this group who he wants reward with the 4 day week when the country is supposed to be increasing productivity. Them and train drivers.

Horses dispatched to help control the crowd, as they frequently are whenever there are crowds. They don’t just exist for riots!

You referenced the BLM protests. Not the rioting that followed the death of Duggan in 2011. These are not the same. The 2011 riots received a similar response to that we have seen recently and for the same reason. To try to stop copy cat events. The causes were though completely different. Those in 2011 were the result of anger directed at the police who had shot Duggan. The recent ones were the result of political opportunism by right wing social media influencers.

That you, and others here, don’t believe me is just par for the course you play on. Which slopes so steeply to the right that nothing ever runs true.
One horse was seriously injured by the BLM crowd and the rider was thrown from the horse. Nope, not a riot and no trouble. Just crowd control. Have a day off.

Why not outside too? Because there’s no harm outside. ‘If you want to be socially acceptable’? Just listen to yourself for once.

It's starting!
"Frontline" says the spokesperson - I didn't know that the frontline started at home, the pub, the beach or other such places?

Back