• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

The new government – good accomplishments and bad?

Just heard Ed Miliband wants to increase the minimum energy efficiency level in private and social rental properties by 2030. He also heavily criticised the tories for renters living in poor and cold conditions. Firstly, they could have a problem with rental prices increasing unless they somehow prevent this. Secondly, he doesn’t have to look much further than some Labour councils such as bankrupt Croydon council for Labour’s failure and shame of people living in damp and mouldy social housing.

Self centred , inept knabhod

I don’t sense that’s true.

I think many people are relieved to see someone admitting things will take time but making some serious first moves.

The normal political sniping and personal attacks are just par for the course and won’t matter if in 4 years time we have regained stability and real progress can be shown on the important issues.

Whether that’s possible is another question entirely but one which the Tories must be ready to answer. Which is why who they choose as leader is the most important political decision to be made this year. Much more so than the budget, which will be predictably not quite as tough as we have been primed to believe, but still condemned in places like this.

The Tories must get themselves together and ready to rise from the ashes if we are going to avoid being subjected to the scourge of right wing populism getting more than a foothold in British politics.

I recognise I am straying off thread here but the performance of the current government and who could be the next are inextricably linked. I came across these articles this morning which suggest that the threat posed by Farage, and his current vehicle, Reform, is being taken very seriously:-

Any genuine Tory needs to be very aware of these things and make determined efforts to ensure they have no connection with them at all.

Reform need to be shunned as political outcasts in the UK, just as the AfD is in Germany and Le Pen and her National Rally is in France. Changing the names of parties doesn’t change the spots of the beast underneath.
Ah HopenotHate, that bastion of unbiased opinion.

How our debt has been accrued is now irrelevant. It has and must be recognised and dealt with.

I don’t blame this, or the last, government for most of it. I do blame governments for not being honest about it and explaining what the consequences will be.

I met our new MP last week. The previous one, a Tory, was assisting me to solve an issue with a Ministry. The new one is Labour. Both are very impressive ladies, intelligent, quick to grasp the point and willing to help. Talking to either you would struggle to know which party they represented and they are cooperating to ensure a smooth transition locally. This is the way it ought to be. Good people working for us. They get as frustrated as we all do.
I would say then that you have been lucky to have that calibre of people representing you.

But of course your experience could be the exception rather than the rule.

The former MP for where I live could not of been more unhelpful when I asked for his assistance in obtaining information from the Cabinet Office in respect of an out of court settlement that they made to a French computer company. Caused by not following their own Procurement Process which resulted in a waste ( multi millions ) of taxpayers money.

Sir Keir suggests the money he accepted in "donations" was to help his son study for his exams in peace and quiet. Presumably while admiring his dad's new suit and glasses in a free box at Arsenal.

So he accept's 20K to benefit his son when he is looking to hit private education, the hypocrisy is beyond words, we need to new word. Ultra hypocrisy is now starmering

So he accept's 20K to benefit his son when he is looking to hit private education, the hypocrisy is beyond words, we need to new word. Ultra hypocrisy is now starmering
I don’t quite understand this. Did his 16 year old live on his own in a separate property while studying for his GCSE’s? Was there loads of noise outside his bedroom door making it impossible to concentrate? Are his walls paper thin? Is his son incredibly sensitive to anything and everything?

I don’t sense that’s true.

I think many people are relieved to see someone admitting things will take time but making some serious first moves.

The normal political sniping and personal attacks are just par for the course and won’t matter if in 4 years time we have regained stability and real progress can be shown on the important issues.

Whether that’s possible is another question entirely but one which the Tories must be ready to answer. Which is why who they choose as leader is the most important political decision to be made this year. Much more so than the budget, which will be predictably not quite as tough as we have been primed to believe, but still condemned in places like this.

The Tories must get themselves together and ready to rise from the ashes if we are going to avoid being subjected to the scourge of right wing populism getting more than a foothold in British politics.

I recognise I am straying off thread here but the performance of the current government and who could be the next are inextricably linked. I came across these articles this morning which suggest that the threat posed by Farage, and his current vehicle, Reform, is being taken very seriously:-

Any genuine Tory needs to be very aware of these things and make determined efforts to ensure they have no connection with them at all.

Reform need to be shunned as political outcasts in the UK, just as the AfD is in Germany and Le Pen and her National Rally is in France. Changing the names of parties doesn’t change the spots of the beast underneath.
I am not sure that is still correct. You may feel that, but those who get their politics and state of the nation from one line sound bites (i.e. most voters under 40) will read, hear and see only the fed gloss and spin. The current pessimistic tone is hurting the government badly.

However, in 4 years time this blunt honesty will have been wholly succeeded by populist expressions of success and boom (whether or not that is justified). People will only remember now to reflect on how much better the government is saying it is then.

I said up the thread how much better I thought the Tories are at this, but perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps this smoke and mirrors tactic demonstrates Labour's growing maturity as a political party in a populist, instant gratification world where nobody wants to think too hard or too long.

I don’t quite understand this. Did his 16 year old live on his own in a separate property while studying for his GCSE’s? Was there loads of noise outside his bedroom door making it impossible to concentrate? Are his walls paper thin? Is his son incredibly sensitive to anything and everything?
Who f*****g cares?

What has this non-story got to do with boosting the economy?

It is ephemeral, titillating tittle-tattle justified on the flimsy premise that it is public interest going down to issues of trust.

The only thing that might surprise you is that the BBC are going at this just as hard as the Express.

Ah HopenotHate, that bastion of unbiased opinion.
It depends on what you mean by "unbiased"!

They certainly aren't looking at things in the same way that the far right are.

Their analysis though seems fair and objective. It acknowledges the progress made, even whilst disagreeing with the attitudes.

It places Farage and Reform into their context within the worldwide populist right, which is obviously correct. Anyone who is best mates with Trump and holds Orban in high regard is part of that movement.

I would say then that you have been lucky to have that calibre of people representing you.

But of course your experience could be the exception rather than the rule.

The former MP for where I live could not of been more unhelpful when I asked for his assistance in obtaining information from the Cabinet Office in respect of an out of court settlement that they made to a French computer company. Caused by not following their own Procurement Process which resulted in a waste ( multi millions ) of taxpayers money.
Perhaps the difference is that mine is maladministration by the DHSC directly affecting my wife and others in her position. Maladministration arising from Boris Johnson making stupid and unthought-out commitments. Whilst yours concerned, what appears to be, a more general political observation.

I am not sure that is still correct. You may feel that, but those who get their politics and state of the nation from one line sound bites (i.e. most voters under 40) will read, hear and see only the fed gloss and spin. The current pessimistic tone is hurting the government badly.

However, in 4 years time this blunt honesty will have been wholly succeeded by populist expressions of success and boom (whether or not that is justified). People will only remember now to reflect on how much better the government is saying it is then.

I said up the thread how much better I thought the Tories are at this, but perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps this smoke and mirrors tactic demonstrates Labour's growing maturity as a political party in a populist, instant gratification world where nobody wants to think too hard or too long.
I not only hope that's not true, I don't think it is. I sense people are beginning to see through the veil of populism and want to see a longer-term sensible approach to things. Making obviously unattainable promises, as Reform is doing, isn't going to fool anyone other than those who don't care they can't be done and only care about who is not doing them.

Who f*****g cares?

It is ephemeral, titillating tittle-tattle justified on the flimsy premise that it is public interest going down to issues of trust.

The only thing that might surprise you is that the BBC are going at this just as hard as the Express.
The problem here is that Labour spent years telling us that the Tories had their snouts in the trough, and they are so blinded by their own arrogance that they can't see that doing stuff like this is a terrible look given their previous holier than thou stance.
Doing Karaoke last night as people are being bombed in Lebanon and pensioners are being denied heating allowance. Absolutely pathetic judgement.

Labour never change. One generation goes and another steps up and repeats the same old mistakes.

Last edited:
Who f*****g cares?

It's as much the timing involved. When the government are saying everybody is in for a tough time and taxes are rising to be accepting £20,000 among other freebies isn't a good look.

Not totally the whole truth by the looks of it. For some it may be a non story but for many it is another example of complete hypocrisy.

I'm loving the BBS in meltdown over Labour freebies, rose tinted glasses and all that.

1. Nothing to see here.
2. The Tories were much worse
3. See point 1.

The only reason the Tories have been much worse at the sleaze racquet is because they had 15 years to put snout in trough. Labour have been in power for 3 months and are playing catch up still they are doing a pretty good job so far. 😀

I'm loving the BBS in meltdown over Labour freebies, rose tinted glasses and all that.

1. Nothing to see here.
3. See point 1.

The only reason the Tories have been much worse at the sleaze racquet is because they had 15 years to put snout in trough. Labour have been in power for 3 months and are playing catch up still they are doing a pretty good job so far. 😀
They will be working overtime to try and justify 2T Keir using a donor's house, with his family pictures placed in the background, for COVID broadcasts during lockdown.

Will he be in the job this time next year? He is a total fake. Everything about Labour is stage managed smoke and mirrors.

Imagine that!

Meanwhile, wasn't Boris Johnson's unelected missus calling the shots not that long ago?

Realpolitik.

Fear not Willo. There will be real Labour mishaps to get your teeth into during this term that actually effect our daily lives. They are too inept a party not to blow both feet off with one shot and it is only a matter of time.

1. Nothing to see here.
3. See point 1.

Talking of 'freebies' & not just liebore, the bbc has got involved with it & published a list of MP's who have benefited from them . . . Sir Keir Starmer: Prime Minister received £13,000 worth of free football tickets

Back