• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

The new government – good accomplishments and bad?

I agree, two - three years of it. Then a nurses' pay rise and some tax cuts then back again.

Cancelling Christmas was one I thought of yesterday. Too white Christian and only slightly gay.
Celebrating the birth of a Jewish man? Surely not.

Well you know what old folk are like. Three jumpers in front of a blazing fire in summer.
Quoted straight from a Labour think tank.
The jumpers will be alright as long as they spin their own yarn from sheep ethically reared in the living room.

Yvette Cooper promises to halve knife crime in a decade. 🙄

Nothing like an ambitious target to get the public on your side.

Of course they could just tell the little scrotes they will go to prison for 5 years and mean it, I think that might make an impact.

Of course they could just tell the little scrotes they will go to prison for 5 years and mean it, I think that might make an impact.
By decreasing blade size by 50%?

Sadiq Khan won't like that. Knife crime is London's best chance of topping a league table.

Is Keir Starmer's speech real or have I accidentally swallowed some hallucinogens?

Two Tier Keir Stalin. A legend in his own mind, with his loyal flock of bleating sheep dutifully standing up and banging their hooves together on cue.

Is Keir Starmer's speech real or have I accidentally swallowed some hallucinogens?

Two Tier Keir Stalin. A legend in his own mind, with his loyal flock of bleating sheep dutifully standing up and banging their hooves together on cue.
It is one of the worst speeches from a political leader that I have ever heard.

Just heard Ed Miliband wants to increase the minimum energy efficiency level in private and social rental properties by 2030. He also heavily criticised the tories for renters living in poor and cold conditions. Firstly, they could have a problem with rental prices increasing unless they somehow prevent this. Secondly, he doesn’t have to look much further than some Labour councils such as bankrupt Croydon council for Labour’s failure and shame of people living in damp and mouldy social housing.

Whilst some hated the Tories since day one, largely the general public stayed at least half in favour of them for years. Then they became unpopular largely everywhere.
Starmer has managed to make his party largely unpopular everywhere already. Surely a record accomplishment?
Plus, they've managed to destroy any working class credentials they may have had with all their donations and expenses. People expect it from the Tories, but Labour are supposed to represent the people.
This lot represent themselves and their small cohort of lobbyists and shady donors. They're partying away at expense of doing any kind of job in government.
They have been excellent in alienating nearly all except the Train drivers.
In some ways they don't have to worry as their main opposition barely exists. And they're really showing it too. Unbridled greed and abject failure combined with complete lack of any purpose.
As far as I can tell, even the BBC have had enough of them already. But, no doubt, the spin doctors will be mooting a rise in the TV licence fee. The BBC can then fall into line behind the Guardian, fawning at the antics of what look like a few ex party goers from the nineties who now organise high price key parties. Perhaps explaining the disregard for old people who keep on telling them to keep the noise down.
I don’t sense that’s true.

I think many people are relieved to see someone admitting things will take time but making some serious first moves.

The normal political sniping and personal attacks are just par for the course and won’t matter if in 4 years time we have regained stability and real progress can be shown on the important issues.

Whether that’s possible is another question entirely but one which the Tories must be ready to answer. Which is why who they choose as leader is the most important political decision to be made this year. Much more so than the budget, which will be predictably not quite as tough as we have been primed to believe, but still condemned in places like this.

The Tories must get themselves together and ready to rise from the ashes if we are going to avoid being subjected to the scourge of right wing populism getting more than a foothold in British politics.

I recognise I am straying off thread here but the performance of the current government and who could be the next are inextricably linked. I came across these articles this morning which suggest that the threat posed by Farage, and his current vehicle, Reform, is being taken very seriously:-

Any genuine Tory needs to be very aware of these things and make determined efforts to ensure they have no connection with them at all.

Reform need to be shunned as political outcasts in the UK, just as the AfD is in Germany and Le Pen and her National Rally is in France. Changing the names of parties doesn’t change the spots of the beast underneath.

That would mean a reduction in London from 35K to 18K per year so presuambly she is OK with that as a 10 year target

Back