• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

QPR vs CPFC match thread

Hasn't adjusted and not fully fit. Needs game time. Judgement reserved.

Ditto the whole lot of em. Bags of changes over the closed season will take a while to glue.

But we were away from home against a team wanting to beat us in a competition many would not bat an eyelid if we baled early (like the last 5 seasons). It was a run out (and some players may have seen the pointless injury to Riad and gone pre-season mode)

The weekend will be more interesting. They are still smarting from their last visit and will bust a gut to avoid a repeat (like West Ham did). I fear we will not win this one 4-0.

The Man Utd squad that night was missing several players, Maguire,Varane, Martinez, Fernandes, McTominay, Shaw, Lindelof etc etc and they deployed Casemiro alongside Evans in central defence.

another underwhelming performance, but always good to win.

Although i'm pleased OG put a strong team out i think i would have rested some/all of Mateta, Eze, Guehi and Munoz as all have played a lot of football and are important players for us.

We still seem to be finding our feet this season and the slow build up doesn't really suit.

Lacroix will take time to settle but surely should be played in the centre of the 3 CBs as per the Andersen role. It will probably help Guehi too as he is not really a natural leader/organiser at the back.

Kamada playing in the centre was worth another go, but i don't think it suits him or us. A bit lightweight, not a great tackler and doesn't have a great influence on the game. As he is on such high wages OG needs to find his best position asap, even if it is coming off the bench. As he is clearly an OG signing i was hoping he already knew this.

Nice that Eddie scored, however, not sure the floating role/No 10 really suits him.

An under par winning performance last night. Lots of issues need sorting including the back middle 3 that just doesn’t look right / balanced without Andersen in there. The middle midfield of Lerma and especially Kamada were poor and that certainly didn’t help the link between defence and up front. Kamada just isn’t good enough to play in front of our other central midfielders missing last night. I’m also not impressed with the link up play of the 3 forwards. I suppose it’s a win but there’s a lot of work to be done with this team to get it balanced and winning premiership matches :-(
Andersen played all of pre season and vs Brentford and was dire, something isn't right throughout

Unfortunately, our magic engine of last season has gone (Olise and Andersen) or was missing last night (Wharton). These three were clearly driving the harmony to herald the new dawn of Glasner. As a result, Eze was on fire as was Mateta. Munoz working behind Olise gave us intensity and the goalkeeping problem of Henderson, clearly exposed on a number of occasions then, was mellowed knowing we had Johnstone to come back.
Fast forward to last night and it was clear just how badly Eze and Mateta miss the support. Henderson has not changed. Hughes has emerged this season as our solid midfielder whereas last season he was hanging in due to Doucoure's injury. Richards was excellent with Andersen. The combination with Guehi doesn't shine.
Sadly none of 'Glasner's' incomers are making a huge difference so far. There is no way they are electrifying.
We are not easy on the eye, and it all looks a bit of a struggle. The Glasner part of last season was electric. We were purring, sensational. Even the great Klopp was reduced to 'Wow'.
There is now clearly a lot of hard work going on which hopefully will improve things moving forwards, but it is looking like Dougie is going to have to work his magic yet again if we are to try and replicate the magical Spring euphoria of Glasner's arrival.

Even if Dougie can unearth another diamond we will face the same issue after their first season.
Offers too good to refuse by either player or club.! We must - unfortuneatly - just appreciate such talent for the brief time it may be at Selhurst. Palace are not destined to be a ManC, Beyern Munich, or Real Madrid !

My 10p worth.

We are really missing a right sided forward to work with munoz, all the good work he did last season was because Olise was in front of him (same reason Eze looked so good). I know we can’t just go and get another Olise, but what we desperately need is somebody who works that side of the pitch in sink with Munoz. This will add balance that is missing. Not sure if Sarr is that person and I’m pretty certain it’s not Kamada. I don’t think we purchased Eddie for that role either so assume we’ve yet to get this player or maybe OG is working with Sarr to bring him up to speed and level on this?

Wharton is now the heartbeat of the team. He has been (a little) below his own high standards the last couple of games but still means he is head and shoulders above everyone else.

I think Hughes works the best with him but Doucoure when fit is a better player. Lerma is a useful squad player and puts himself about but for me is behind hughes and Doucoure in the pecking order.

Not sure where this leaves Kamada?

Eze… is Eze. Genius but without Olise can drop out of games and but then as happened can make me eat my words.

Eddie looks good. Fast and never stops looking for the ball, I think he will be class.
JPM, has he started thinking he is better than us? 4 goals says he knows where the net is but he looks miserable.

Henderson. Amazing save then a numpty. Should have kept SJ in my eyes but it is what it is now.

Back line… too early to say.

overall, these b****** international breaks mean it’s really stop start after the transfer deadline until December so I think it’s going to be a bit hit and miss until then.

I guess we will see. COYP

Even if Dougie can unearth another diamond we will face the same issue after their first season.
Offers too good to refuse by either player or club.! We must - unfortuneatly - just appreciate such talent for the brief time it may be at Selhurst. Palace are not destined to be a ManC, Beyern Munich, or Real Madrid !
Steve Parish has admitted that at this moment in time the club is a place where players travel through, it is not a destination.
I believe this situation will continue until the foreseeable future.

I do hate to be the prophet of doom and i am not usually , but this season i genuinely fear for our Premier League status . Our team looks very weak in parts and the results are beginning to speak for themselves, we definitely haven't pushed on from last season , so far lost 2 and drawn 2 apart from the cup games . I hope it just a case of players need time to gel and get used to each other and i know its a marathon 🏃 and not a sprint . But the swagger just isnt there , Meteta looks disinterested and he has put on aa few pound , Geuhi looks like his valuation is going down everytime he plays , the new lads Kamada doesn't look like he is able for the physical side of the Premier League and Lacroix dont look Fit enough . Eddie is running around like a hungry dog in a butchers shop . Hey its just my opinion agree with me or not i dont really care im just voicing my concerns . A draw against Leicester City and only 1-2 win against QPR and a lucky one at that , I hope it gets better and we stuff United Saturday evening COYP .

I do hate to be the prophet of doom and i am not usually , but this season i genuinely fear for our Premier League status . Our team looks very weak in parts and the results are beginning to speak for themselves, we definitely haven't pushed on from last season , so far lost 2 and drawn 2 apart from the cup games . I hope it just a case of players need time to gel and get used to each other and i know its a marathon 🏃 and not a sprint . But the swagger just isnt there , Meteta looks disinterested and he has put on aa few pound , Geuhi looks like his valuation is going down everytime he plays , the new lads Kamada doesn't look like he is able for the physical side of the Premier League and Lacroix dont look Fit enough . Eddie is running around like a hungry dog in a butchers shop . Hey its just my opinion agree with me or not i dont really care im just voicing my concerns . A draw against Leicester City and only 1-2 win against QPR and a lucky one at that , I hope it gets better and we stuff United Saturday evening COYP .
There are three worse teams, and I think our manager is pretty good too. I'd say we're quite mid table. We'll probably flirt with 17/18th at some stage but finish maybe 10-14th. Just a guess really.
We haven't been great, however, we look like if we cut out conceding pathetic sloppy goals and take a few more of our chances, we'll start picking up some wins. You'd like to think work on the training ground could help that.
I tend to agree somewhat about Kamada and Mateta currently, however, I'm pretty sure Lacroix and Nketiah will be fine. Just a personal opinion.

Oh my giddy aunt !

Your sentiments echo those of a supporter who is usually infused with positivity apropos our team and prospects, however in a conversation with him earlier in the week his aroma of optimism had dispersed and his brow was corrugated with concern.
At one stage he got somewhat irate as I attempted to reason with him, bellowing out "I have had enough of all your season is in its infancy baloney". In the final analysis, one cannot reason with a tiger when your head is in it's mouth.

Perhaps sooner rather than later I will return to "Doomsayer" mode !

Oh my giddy aunt !

Your sentiments echo those of a supporter who is usually infused with positivity apropos our team and prospects, however in a conversation with him earlier in the week his aroma of optimism had dispersed and his brow was corrugated with concern.
At one stage he got somewhat irate as I attempted to reason with him, bellowing out "I have had enough of all your season is in its infancy baloney". In the final analysis, one cannot reason with a tiger when your head is in it's mouth.
Frankly, you could answer all of this with: "normal service has been resumed".

Frankly, you could answer all of this with: "normal service has been resumed".
With respect, I have not resumed my "Doom and Gloom",willing to accept that the season is in it's infancy.

How long I remain tolerant and patient is a matter for conjecture ! A couple of defeats on the back of sub-standard performances and normal service might well resume !

Last edited:
Oh my giddy aunt !

Perhaps sooner rather than later I will return to "Doomsayer" mode !
Thanks for that.

Well the game was a potential banana skin and we got through it.

I'm surprised that QPR didn't take more advantage of our defensive weakness from corners. Henderson's unconvincing punch which ultimately led to their goal should have given them a clue. Instead they started trying to play to the far post.

At this time we aren't seeing a solution to the absence of Olise and Andersen. Olise is impossible to replace like-for-like. Kamada doesn't look to be the answer nor does Sarr. Andersens organisational skills and leadership are a big miss as well as his long range passing.

However, it's still work in progress. Accommodating Nketieh has resulted in another tweak to Glasners system. In fact Eddie reminds me of Dougie Freedman in his control and movement. Bedding in Lacroix looks like it will take time - too soon to get a feel for how good he is.

I'm not convinced that Guehi is at his most effective playing in the middle of a three either.

I think the squad has enough quality to stay out of trouble, but at the moment it's hard to see them improving on last seasons finishing position.

It’s a long season and you’re as good as your last few games. End of last season some were having us down as qualifying for the champions league this season on the back of our great little run against knackered depleted teams. Now the start of this season some are fearing for our premier league status on the back of a slow four game start.
Ever since in our first season after promotion I boldly stated on here I couldn’t see where the next win was coming and so we’re doomed and we then went on to win FIVE games on the trot 😀 I prefer to just take each game as it comes because with palace you just never know what’s coming next, that’s the beauty of football in general I suppose

It’s a long season and you’re as good as your last few games. End of last season some were having us down as qualifying for the champions league this season on the back of our great little run against knackered depleted teams. Now the start of this season some are fearing for our premier league status on the back of a slow four game start.
Ever since in our first season after promotion I boldly stated on here I couldn’t see where the next win was coming and so we’re doomed and we then went on to win FIVE games on the trot 😀 I prefer to just take each game as it comes because with palace you just never know what’s coming next, that’s the beauty of football in general I suppose
started with a John Terry og!
On the flip side, we won 6 in a row in 1992/93 then promptly lost to Hartlepool in the Cup and ended up relegated

Back