• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

QPR vs CPFC match thread

A tough workout against a team which pressed and harried us whenever they could, especially after half time. We got some more minutes for new players to settle and gel. Plus we won the game.

So it's a thumbs up from me and on to the next one.
It's a win which is more than Fulham did against Preston North End They lost 16-15 on penalties.

Anyone else think Lacroix looks a bit overweight and slow?

I also think Kamada looks like a tidy enough player without actually adding to the performance of the team.

There was some good stuff though despite some indifferent individual displays. For 10 minutes tonight I thought we looked a fantastic side, unfortunately for the other 80 we looked only mildly better than QPR.

Still, we are in the draw, let’s hope it’s a home one.

That was a ragged performance.
The passing was sloppy and the absence of Wharton, Anderson and Olise meant there was a marked absence of genuine quality.
Mateta had no service when we know he's only effective when he receives service.
Kamada looks like a 5 a side player, neat and tidy but without hurting the opposition.
Lacroix didn't impress me, but I know it's early days.
He doesn't look quick, dominant in the air or to have a decent passing range (certainly no Anderson on this display).

The balance of the team doesn't look right.
The return of Wharton will help enabling the link play in midfield, but it doesn't seem right to have such a reliance on him for the team to function.

The passing was sloppy and the absence of Wharton, Anderson and Olise meant there was a marked absence of genuine quality.
Mateta had no service when we know he's only effective when he receives service.
Kamada looks like a 5 a side player, neat and tidy but without hurting the opposition.
He doesn't look quick, dominant in the air or to have a decent passing range (certainly no Anderson on this display).

The return of Wharton will help enabling the link play in midfield, but it doesn't seem right to have such a reliance on him for the team to function.
Maybe I'm crazy, but I think Wharton is one of the top 20 English players in the game right now. His vision and precision in both attack and defense are first-class, so of course he's the engine of our squad from box to box. And there's no one to replace him, really. Much as I like both Lerma and Doucoure, Wharton is a catalyst like few midfielders in the Prem. When he isn't on the pitch, it only seems reasonable that it would take us several matches to figure out how to adjust,

Unfortunately, our magic engine of last season has gone (Olise and Andersen) or was missing last night (Wharton). These three were clearly driving the harmony to herald the new dawn of Glasner. As a result, Eze was on fire as was Mateta. Munoz working behind Olise gave us intensity and the goalkeeping problem of Henderson, clearly exposed on a number of occasions then, was mellowed knowing we had Johnstone to come back.
Fast forward to last night and it was clear just how badly Eze and Mateta miss the support. Henderson has not changed. Hughes has emerged this season as our solid midfielder whereas last season he was hanging in due to Doucoure's injury. Richards was excellent with Andersen. The combination with Guehi doesn't shine.
Sadly none of 'Glasner's' incomers are making a huge difference so far. There is no way they are electrifying.
We are not easy on the eye, and it all looks a bit of a struggle. The Glasner part of last season was electric. We were purring, sensational. Even the great Klopp was reduced to 'Wow'.
There is now clearly a lot of hard work going on which hopefully will improve things moving forwards, but it is looking like Dougie is going to have to work his magic yet again if we are to try and replicate the magical Spring euphoria of Glasner's arrival.

Not impressed by Lacroix in either of the games I have seen him.Looks very slow and possibly overweight. Positional sense is poor and passing terrible.

Hopefully he can improve but the mixed reports from previous clubs seem valid.

A downgrade on Anderson at present.

An under par winning performance last night. Lots of issues need sorting including the back middle 3 that just doesn’t look right / balanced without Andersen in there. The middle midfield of Lerma and especially Kamada were poor and that certainly didn’t help the link between defence and up front. Kamada just isn’t good enough to play in front of our other central midfielders missing last night. I’m also not impressed with the link up play of the 3 forwards. I suppose it’s a win but there’s a lot of work to be done with this team to get it balanced and winning premiership matches :-(

Dont agree with a lot of the criticism of Kamada, was tidy and worked hard. Its clear he's technically very good. IMO probabely our best player last night.

Richards passing was awful, consistently gave the ball away. Lacroix looks suspect to say the least, and no evidence of the blistering pace he apparently possesses .

Nketiah looked spritely early on, but faded. JMP need not have turned up. And his attempt to gee up the crowd (when we were already singing) was pretty annoying, focus on your own performance mate.

I suspect the reason for starting the forward line and CBs he did was to try to get some cohesion.

First half we looked solid and in control. Second half we were awful. We won this game with a lucky deflection.

Kamada looks bang average to me. Nketiah is a good player, but he needs to pass the ball sooner.

We are in for a long hard season if we struggle against a Championship team who only fielded 4 players from their league game on Saturday. Our defending for their goal was pathetic.

Big improvement needed.

I wonder if Lacroix and Kamada will prove to be players who can flourish in overseas leagues, but can't quite cut it at Premier League level.
This may seem unduly harsh and it is certainly too early to draw any firm conclusions, but it's still a valid question.
What complicates the matter further is that they were Glasner's personal choices in the transfer market .
One would hope this wouldn't compromise his selection policies on match days.

We pretty much had the first team playing yesterday, other than Wharton, and no unit of the team gelled .
We struggled at the back, in midfield and up front.
Our passing was terrible and our mistakes would have been punished at Premier League level.

We won,but the win shouldn't mask the underlying problems that have been evident all season.
From what I've observed we'll struggle to keep clean sheets and a mean defence has to be the foundation for any team that wants to succeed.
Anderson looks to be a huge miss and the shift of Guehi to the centre of the back 3 doesn't seem to suit him.
He doesn't dominate or act as a launchpad for our attacks.
We do have Chaloboah to come in, but I think he's more likely to be earmarked for the right-sided role in the back 3.

I shall refrain from being judgemental about our new additions when the season is in its infancy and their time at the club has been ephemeral.

Supporters with whom I have engaged in conversation have been totally unimpressed with Kamada and Lacroix and the positivity they experienced at the end of last season is dissipating.

Might sound a bit controversial given how many goals he has scored in recent times, however I would try starting with Eze Nketiah and Sarr up front. The pace of the three of them with Wharton hopefully providing the sharp passes would unlock any team.

Mateta would be a great alternative to bring on at 65 minutes.

Dont agree with a lot of the criticism of Kamada, was tidy and worked hard. Its clear he's technically very good. IMO probabely our best player last night.

Richards passing was awful, consistently gave the ball away. Lacroix looks suspect to say the least, and no evidence of the blistering pace he apparently possesses .

Nketiah looked spritely early on, but faded. JMP need not have turned up. And his attempt to gee up the crowd (when we were already singing) was pretty annoying, focus on your own performance mate.

I suspect the reason for starting the forward line and CBs he did was to try to get some cohesion.
Hasn't adjusted and not fully fit. Needs game time. Judgement reserved.

Ditto the whole lot of em. Bags of changes over the closed season will take a while to glue.

But we were away from home against a team wanting to beat us in a competition many would not bat an eyelid if we baled early (like the last 5 seasons). It was a run out (and some players may have seen the pointless injury to Riad and gone pre-season mode)

The weekend will be more interesting. They are still smarting from their last visit and will bust a gut to avoid a repeat (like West Ham did). I fear we will not win this one 4-0.

Might sound a bit controversial given how many goals he has scored in recent times, however I would try starting with Eze Nketiah and Sarr up front. The pace of the three of them with Wharton hopefully providing the sharp passes would unlock any team.

Mateta never looked that good in the past coming on for Edouard. I think we will have an even more unsettled player if we bench him. I actually think Eza on the left is now the bigger problem now that Olise has gone. Don’t believe he will be benched though?

He was never a super-sub when we tried that in the past. While they are still in active discussions you might want to keep him sweet. And if he is sold, more cash for a starter than a bencher.

BTW, I actually think you are right. Sarr should start. But Mateta needs to be properly managed for a bit. Tie him down; and then subject him to the same rotation as everyone else.

Hasn't adjusted and not fully fit. Needs game time. Judgement reserved.

Ditto the whole lot of em. Bags of changes over the closed season will take a while to glue.

But we were away from home against a team wanting to beat us in a competition many would not bat an eyelid if we baled early (like the last 5 seasons). It was a run out (and some players may have seen the pointless injury to Riad and gone pre-season mode)

The weekend will be more interesting. They are still smarting from their last visit and will bust a gut to avoid a repeat (like West Ham did). I fear we will not win this one 4-0.
I'll be happy just to win it 1-0 with a scrappy goal.

Back