• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Nottingham Forest vs. Crystal Palace match thread

Henderson, had plenty to do but unbalanced for the Wood shot late getting down, nicely set up by Chalobah
Munoz, last year he had Olise in front of him, I'm certain that side of the pitch would work better with Sarr in front of him
Lacroix, a decent signing, moved into the middle worked better
Guehi, fine
Chalobah, mistake today, mistake against Liverpool, I hope these are one offs otherwise fine
Mitchell, not sure why he gets so much stick, decent player
Eze, restricted to mainly long shots
Kamada, there's nothing about him that says he'll ever get up to Prem standard. Seems undroppable, what am i missing
Hughes, clever player knows when to put a foot in and does win the ball
Lerma, OK I suppose
Nketiah, pacy but not a lone striker

Jeff, one decent shot, everyone loves a trier
Sarr, surely he should be in front of Kamada for a start
Mateta, worked better with him, despite them bringing a player on to man mark him
Agbinone, nice little cameo at the end, looked confident

Lets not be too negative, with Doucoure back and up to speed with a fully fit Wharton, that could have looked very different and if Glasner gets over Kamada.........

Henderson, had plenty to do but unbalanced for the Wood shot late getting down, nicely set up by Chalobah
Munoz, last year he had Olise in front of him, I'm certain that side of the pitch would work better with Sarr in front of him
Lacroix, a decent signing, moved into the middle worked better
Guehi, fine
Chalobah, mistake today, mistake against Liverpool, I hope these are one offs otherwise fine
Mitchell, not sure why he gets so much stick, decent player
Eze, restricted to mainly long shots
Kamada, there's nothing about him that says he'll ever get up to Prem standard. Seems undroppable, what am i missing
Hughes, clever player knows when to put a foot in and does win the ball
Lerma, OK I suppose
Nketiah, pacy but not a lone striker

Jeff, one decent shot, everyone loves a trier
Sarr, surely he should be in front of Kamada for a start
Mateta, worked better with him, despite them bringing a player on to man mark him
Agbinone, nice little cameo at the end, looked confident

Lets not be too negative, with Doucoure back and up to speed with a fully fit Wharton, that could have looked very different and if Glasner gets over Kamada.........
I think the negativity comes from the fact the comments above could have been copy and paste for the past 8 games and I would argue cohesion, passing and confidence is actually heading in the wrong direction.

Unfortunately decent, ok and good long-range efforts don't win premier league games and I think 3 out of 24 points is our worst ever start to a season so there is cause for concern.

I’m concerned we have massively over-paid on Nketiah and now have this recurring problem that we spent all this dosh and NEED TO PLAY HIM. Benteke springs to mind.

As I’ve said all along he’s a hit and hope merchant. What I mean is that he never glances up just before he shoots to see the space to side of keeper and direct his shot. He just blasts it head down in the general direction. A keepers dream because they know 7 out of 10 times they will hit it straight at them. Yes he’s quick but the guile comes in what I’ve said above.

Another lemon for the price I’m afraid.

The majority reaction is negative but personally I didn't think we played badly, not commited or confident enough in front of goal, Munoz's delivery was poor throughout but I thought Kamada did OK, some vital tackles and neat through balls, Eze was good first half but faded second, Le Croix and Chalobah were good, we had our two second string midfielders in and dominated many periods of the game, but we don't click in the final third, don't commit enough men forward in attack, unlike Forest who had more punch and purpose when they attacked but a draw would have been a better reflection of the game. I don't see Ollie as clueless or a bad attitude from the team, Wharton may need surgery and at least a month off, but Doucoure will come back in, I'd say keep the faith and be patient - there were signs of improvement, though Forest were admittedly under strength. If we'd equalised I reckon the tone would be very different. If we deteriorate and are adrift at Christmas then we can consider a change of manager, but till then I'm with Corporal Jones... Don't Panic! There's no need to yet.

I think it highly likely we’ll start to feature on some ‘stat boards’ soon as to records for winless runs. It’ll most likely be at least 10.

We can analyse performances to the death but so long as we’re non-scoring and losing games…

Glasner seems quite blase in his interviews and the team absent of character. Worrying.

I’m concerned we have massively over-paid on Nketiah and now have this recurring problem that we spent all this dosh and NEED TO PLAY HIM. Benteke springs to mind.

As I’ve said all along he’s a hit and hope merchant. What I mean is that he never glances up just before he shoots to see the space to side of keeper and direct his shot. He just blasts it head down in the general direction. A keepers dream because they know 7 out of 10 times they will hit it straight at them. Yes he’s quick but the guile comes in what I’ve said above.

Another lemon for the price I’m afraid.
I seen him at assna he is useless, joke signing.

The majority reaction is negative but personally I didn't think we played badly, not commited or confident enough in front of goal, Munoz's delivery was poor throughout but I thought Kamada did OK, some vital tackles and neat through balls, Eze was good first half but faded second, Le Croix and Chalobah were good, we had our two second string midfielders in and dominated many periods of the game, but we don't click in the final third, don't commit enough men forward in attack, unlike Forest who had more punch and purpose when they attacked but a draw would have been a better reflection of the game. I don't see Ollie as clueless or a bad attitude from the team, Wharton may need surgery and at least a month off, but Doucoure will come back in, I'd say keep the faith and be patient - there were signs of improvement, though Forest were admittedly under strength. If we'd equalised I reckon the tone would be very different. If we deteriorate and are adrift at Christmas then we can consider a change of manager, but till then I'm with Corporal Jones... Don't Panic! There's no need to yet.
I tend to agree with the post and really both teams did not create much. I felt we were intentionally conservative with a view to not losing the game but you can't legislate for individual mistakes ( Chalobah and Henderson were both at fault for the goal ). Part of the problem this season is the injury situation making it hard to put out the same team. We could have done with an injection in midfield for Hughes Kamada and Lerma who all put in a shift but we did not have any options which stopped us pushing on to get an equalizer.
I must be the only on here who is a fan of Kamada. He can pick a pass is mobile and can win the ball back. In general terms our passing was to slow through the game to give the front players a split second longer on the ball to enable them to make better choices.

Nottingham Forest XI: Sels, Aina, Milenkovic, Murillo, Moreno, Anderson, Dominguez, Hudson-Odoi, Yates, Woods, Elanga.

Substitutes: Morato, Boly, Toffolo, Williams, Sosa, Awoniyi, Jota Silva, Omobamidele, Miguel

Crystal Palace XI: Henderson, Chalobah, Guehi, Lacroix, Mitchell, Lerma, Hughes, Munoz, Eze, Nketiah, Kamada.

Substitutes: Ward, Sarr, Mateta, Schlupp, Clyne, Wharton, Kporha, Agbinone, Turner.

Watched on TV as opposed to attending.
I am afraid that we look clueless - a team with no plan and a Manager who gives the impression that his team are disobeying his orders.
OG has gone from hero to zero very quickly and has not adapted to losing Olise.
He seems welded to playing Kamada, who currently looks lost and ineffectual - Sarr is surely a better option.
Munoz has lost his zip and Mitchell is poor offensively - our width has gone.
Selling Ayew is now showing as bad business and Anderson the same.
Wharton is a long term injury in reality and Doucoure out yet again.
Eze flatters to deceive - I am not a fan.
We have some real problems and yet the players are well capable of staying up.
They need to play for each other and create more space and flipping welll look to receive the ball otherwise we are going to be in a dogfight come the end of the season.
For the first season in a long time we have no out - no Olise, no Zaha, no Ayew - no-one to give the ball to and relieve pressure.
I am worried and sadly do not think that OG is the answer.

I tend to agree with the post and really both teams did not create much. I felt we were intentionally conservative with a view to not losing the game but you can't legislate for individual mistakes ( Chalobah and Henderson were both at fault for the goal ). Part of the problem this season is the injury situation making it hard to put out the same team. We could have done with an injection in midfield for Hughes Kamada and Lerma who all put in a shift but we did not have any options which stopped us pushing on to get an equalizer.
I must be the only on here who is a fan of Kamada. He can pick a pass is mobile and can win the ball back. In general terms our passing was to slow through the game to give the front players a split second longer on the ball to enable them to make better choices.
I’m a fan of Kamada but have to admit he was poor last night and should have been substituted earlier.

We haven’t been losing heavily and with Doucore and Wharton returning to the team that should help immensely.

My Chelsea (I know) mate thought we were a bit unlucky and deserved a point. The players' confidence must be shot now. OG's must be wobbling too.
Let's face it, we're in the shyte.

What frustrates me is that the post match interviews talked about our chances. Other than schlupp, I can’t remember a single chance other than players spanking it from outside the box which doesn’t constitute a chance to me and rarely results in a goal.

However for them I can remember multiple Chris wood chances so whilst stats were equal and scoreline close, I don’t think it was an unfair result. And of our three draws, Chelsea absolutely battered us too so again score lines sadly are flattering us rather than the opposite.

I think glasner gets up to and including the wolves game and if we’ve not got a win then he has to go.

When OG arrived last season we were a team shackled by playing to a system designed to avoid defeat. He changed that overnight by allowing them to attack and express themselves. Yes we had Anderson’s long diagonals from right to left and Olise working his magic cutting in from the right, but arguably our biggest weapons were Wharton’s through balls to Eze and Mateta, and Munoz’s runs down the right which generally ended with a decent cross, a cut back inside to Olise or an attempt on goal.
This season Wharton is struggling for fitness and God only knows what has happened to Munoz. I don’t recall one attempt to beat his man or try a shot. He constantly checks back or looks to pass inside. Hughes did his best to provide the Olise cross when fed but it’s not his forte.
Eze and Mateta perform best in a team attacking with pace. Our ponderous build up doesn’t suit either of them, consequently they look pretty average. The only player performing with any energy is Hughes who looks a much better player this season and was our best player last night.
If there was any other positive to take from last night’s performance it was that the back three looked to be settling in. Lacroix is getting used to the PL and Chalobah looked class until the bad clearance set Wood up and on another day we’d barely have noticed that if Henderson had made what was a routine save.

Ive woke up with the hump . Years ago it would have been with a hump but times change
Mine's getting so permanent I'm thinking of changing my name to Igor.
Last night could have worked out differently if Eze & Nketiah's shots had been a few inches the other way but I suppose you could say the same about most games.

Plenty of the doom brigade been let out to play tonight and with only a quarter of the season gone.

Personally, and the stats back my point up, I am rather proud of the performance, despite the result. I said a couple of weeks ago that we are no longer at the same level as Notts FC and therefore surprised to see so many people wanting a win. With that said, keeping a strong side at bay (bar one goal) in probably the most hostile away ground in the Premier League shouldn't be discounted.

Like the Liverpool result, it's only nothing to one and therefore, backed up with this good performance, is something we can build on.

Keep up the support, the team need us and deserved to be praised
Notts FC…are you for real?!

When OG arrived last season we were a team shackled by playing to a system designed to avoid defeat. He changed that overnight by allowing them to attack and express themselves. Yes we had Anderson’s long diagonals from right to left and Olise working his magic cutting in from the right, but arguably our biggest weapons were Wharton’s through balls to Eze and Mateta, and Munoz’s runs down the right which generally ended with a decent cross, a cut back inside to Olise or an attempt on goal.
This season Wharton is struggling for fitness and God only knows what has happened to Munoz. I don’t recall one attempt to beat his man or try a shot. He constantly checks back or looks to pass inside. Hughes did his best to provide the Olise cross when fed but it’s not his forte.
Eze and Mateta perform best in a team attacking with pace. Our ponderous build up doesn’t suit either of them, consequently they look pretty average. The only player performing with any energy is Hughes who looks a much better player this season and was our best player last night.
If there was any other positive to take from last night’s performance it was that the back three looked to be settling in. Lacroix is getting used to the PL and Chalobah looked class until the bad clearance set Wood up and on another day we’d barely have noticed that if Henderson had made what was a routine save.

I agree with all of this in terms of identifying the problems.

However, I can see no evidence of solutions being forthcoming, and therefore don’t feel positive.
Olise and Anderson are gone and Wharton needs an operation.
Glasner seems wedded to a system that doesn’t suit our current players.
There is no chemistry between the various combinations tried up front and we are playing like strangers rather than as a co-ordinated and well coached unit.
The problems are fundamental as opposed to just bad luck or temporary loss of form.

It’s easier to change the manager than the players and sadly this is how I see this chapter ending.

Very disappointing. It was a game that we could (should?) have won, given that Forest are not that great themselves. However, they, like most of our ‘rival’ (teams that are at best mid table) play with pace and passion and do get forward with a degree of threat. Our 17/18 shots last night may be a decent count but a) how many on target, b) from outside the box, and most importantly c) a result of a structured play or build-up. We looked lack lustre going forward with little threat when we did. JPM should have started with Ebs more central and Sarr, an outright winger. As many have said on here, we no longer have a general or a hold-up player (like Ayew) and last seasons back-end zip has gone. For me the brightest spark was Agbinone the academy product. I’d give him a run v Spurs.

Change the Manager? No, I don’t think so. Transition takes time and last seasons back-end was never going to be replicated once MO,JA and JA went, but Oli does need to get a grip and start ‘throwing the hair dryer’.

Back